1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Online Joining Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yourname942, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Yourname942

Yourname942 Space Hobo

How do I join an online game? (Is Hamachi required to play this game online?) Thank you.

• ShadowlessWanderer

ShadowlessWanderer Pangalactic Porcupine

This game DOES NOT have steamworks so you cannot join games like in tf2, l4d/l4d2, castlecrashers, etc. The host must forward their ports and give out their IP so people can connect. Hamachi/Tunngle/whatever else can be used for this game but I have no experience with using them for Risk of Rain so I can't verify how good they do.

• Yourname942

Yourname942 Space Hobo

Is there a guide to how to do this?
        - where to get/how to use hamachi
        - servers for risk of rain

• ShadowlessWanderer

How to use hamachi/where to get it can easily be done by a google search. Server's for RoR don't exist technically because one cannot join a game in progress, and there's no dedicated server software so someone has to physically be there in the lobby to start the game.

• Yourname942

Yourname942 Space Hobo

So then where/how do you join other people?

• ShadowlessWanderer

Person hosting the game forwards their ports and gives you the IP and port to connect to. You type in the IP and port and you join the server (assuming they forwarded their ports and everything correctly)

• Yourname942

Yourname942 Space Hobo

I mean how do you find that person in the first place?

• reVelske

reVelske Pangalactic Porcupine

There's an unofficial server list here: http://riskofrain.cyber-dev.net/

The game's multiplayer intended for you to join a match only with people you know via exchange of IP address. The unofficial server list is your only means for finding games with complete strangers.