1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Announcement Online Character Creator update, part deux!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by tramsan, Feb 20, 2013.

1. tramsan

tramsan Contributor

Hello again, folks!

Tramsan here with another character creator update. A few different additions this time. A couple of aesthetic ones (Counters! I've wanted to add those since I saw the first ingame screenshot), and one big one: Poses.

chargen.png

Poses are what's known as personalities in the ingame character creator. This thing is a true "force multiplier" for the webgen, since it makes everything before it just so much cooler. One pose is worth a thousand beards. The reason it's called poses in the webgen, instead of personalities, is that this thing doesn't only have the personality idle poses that you get to pick when you create a character in the game, it also has nearly every other pose in the game. Walking, running, sitting, swimming... In total, it has 36 different poses to chose from. Now, granted, several of these will look a bit weird, but that's because you will usually see them in motion in the game. Switch between them quickly, though, and you can pretend your character is running! (Yes, this is totally, 100%, absolute fan service. You're welcome!)

The downside of this addition is that the size of the thing has grown ten-fold. It's just around one MB, though, so unless you have a slow connection, it should be pretty zippy. If you have a slow connection, sorry!

Another small change is that colour palettes have been updated to their latest versions. Only clothing palettes, this time. Most notably, this means the Apex' clothes are no longer all messed up.

Like last time, you will most likely have to clear your cache to get the new content to work properly. Links from my previous post:
    In Internet Explorer
    In FireFox
    In Chrome (You might want to only have "Empty the cache" checked there)

As usual, when you click "Create Character", you have to rename the saved file to anything ending in .png to get it to work properly. This is a technical browser limitation, and nothing I can do anything about. Sorry. The name field won't help you there.

Now go have fun!
    /tramsan

(Ps. Keep in mind this is just a fun toy. It doesn't accurately reflect what you'll see in the actual ingame character creator. It just approximates.)

Miuub, Sakaru, lblb and 58 others like this.
  2. Very nice! Thanks for the update and for sharing.

Fantastic to see different shadings of dark colours for clothing items.

3. Kousaka

Kousaka Void-Bound Voyager

Great! Can't wait to fiddle with it

4. JackOfAllTrades

JackOfAllTrades Cosmic Narwhal

Now I won't have to spend over 9000 hours in MS Paint draw directly over bald, naked sprites! Wonderful work. :up:

xWild WarPig likes this.
  5. Aragaron

Aragaron Big Damn Hero

Fantastic! Wanted these poses for a while now, thank you! :DD

6. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Phantasmal Quasar

Looks awesome! Time to go spend a bunch of time that could be spent better messing around with it! Yeah!

Ellie likes this.
  7. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

Poses? :viking:

Leokins likes this.
  8. Kousaka

Kousaka Void-Bound Voyager

Hm, I can't change the color of anything except hair. Clearing my cache does nothing. (this is in firefox by the way)

9. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

Changing pose to 3 while in Human in Mozilla, makes it break.

Fever likes this.
  10. Thought I should let you know, but once you click the name box, you can't change your character anymore. You need to hit the refresh button.
    Though, you can click another race once you are in name-mode, it only changes the words.
    The picture stays the same, and nothing happens when you click the little arrows.

AstroBlast likes this.
  11. This'll keep the kids busy for a little while...

blind sniper likes this.
  12. Soup

Soup Giant Laser Beams

Wow the Glitch have 77 different heads to choose from :eek: It really emphasizes a point I made previously that scrolling through such a long list one item at a time is really cumbersome, even with numbers showing. I'm still hoping for grid selection rather than list selection in the final game.

Definitely a lot of improvements in this version though, keep up the great work!

13. tramsan

tramsan Contributor

Anything at all, or just for a certain species?

Could you screenshot that for me, please?

14. Mona-Lon

Mona-Lon Industrial Terraformer

I just tried out the character creator. Coooool.

15. Polar Bear

I second this grid selection idea. Scrolling through all 70+ heads was really boring, not to mention inconvenient when I found something else that I thought would look cool with a particular head that I saw.

16. Works for me.

17. ermagerd!

18. Polar Bear

Has it always been like this? I can't tell, and I feel really silly because of that.
    Uhmbug.png

19. tramsan

tramsan Contributor

It is not certain that these will all be in the actual ingame chargen when it's released, in fact it's likely the list will be pruned.

buta likes this.
  20. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

Found it was because I named my character.