1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

On the topic of beds.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by pramones9, Mar 19, 2012.

?

What do you think they are for.

1. Refill HP

62.5%
  2. Part of the Storyline

3.1%
  3. Other...

34.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pramones9

pramones9 Space Spelunker

I know that it is still a bit early to make accurate guesses but we can still discuss random things and who ever was right gets bragging rights. This thread is on the topic of beds. On Tiy's Twitter he posted a gif with random sprites. On it there's the Sprites sleeping on beds. What I want to know is what you think these are for.

2. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

Sleeping on, regen hp, maybe to pass time during the day/night that you would have to wait through otherwise?

3. Tiger

Tiger Phantasmal Quasar

Maybe you sleep for a full heal, and it goes into like a cut scene mode or something where time goes faster. Maybe in multiplayer you wait for everyone to get on a bed if they're all on the same planet.

4. pramones9

pramones9 Space Spelunker

That's what I was thinking. Then I thought maybe it's only at your home base or ship maybe. Waiting for everyone to get in a bed on servers might be too much of a hassle.

5. Tiger

Tiger Phantasmal Quasar

I guess, but maybe you could claim a planet as yours, and only allow certain people on it? That way you don't have random people going on your planet on public servers, and the time could be different on different planets.

Krunch and pramones9 like this.
  6. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

What is that scientist is wearing in the bed? It seems we just found the nurse of starbound. :cool:

Whats with all the female NPC's having no clothes in a template and male NPC's dont? Tiy you.. person.

7. Hydrae

Hydrae Cosmic Narwhal

I'd say HP regen is most likely. I love the other ideas like passing time & allowing certain people on your planet if they have a bed.

Yeah, that nurse definitely looks like she just played the lead role in a "Pixel" film. Either that, or she's a scientist studying the weaknesses of tentacle planets...

8. Koishi Komeiji

Koishi Komeiji Over 9000!!!

First, ew...

And I think that beds will be HP regen and passing time~
    Or they could be time machines~

9. jaxter0987

jaxter0987 Big Damn Hero

I'm going to go with this except without the full heal part. I know Minecraft has this and it seems likely that Starbound will have it as well.

10. WelshPixie

WelshPixie Former Staff

I think you need to go back to anatomy class ;) The naked sprites have flat chests. The female sprites clearly have bouncing chests. Compare 4th row, right-most, naked 'falling' sprite and falling female mechanic.

Thiel likes this.
  11. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

She is wearing the exact same thing as when she is standing up like everyone else, except she hung her lab coat on the bed and put down her clipboard at the base.

In light of this perhaps the beds are actually a part of the Sprite sleeping animation and not actually a physical object.

12. Williamm53

Williamm53 Astral Cartographer

They will do what minecraft beds do.

13. HazardJake

HazardJake Void-Bound Voyager

Perhaps give a well rested buff or something like that :zzz:
    Maybe you'd have to go to bed in the spacestation to travel to other places?
    ~Jake

14. Metasight

Metasight Void-Bound Voyager

Dayumn, that pink haired scientist is AWESOME
    Oh yeah, about the beds. I'd say it is mostly to regen HP and to switch between day and night, and maybe used to trigger cutscenes if you are following the plot?

15. Techgamer

Techgamer Big Damn Hero

Not in multiplayer they wont!

It can't be nighttime for only one person...

oh, that makes more sense :D

pramones9 likes this.
  16. HazardJake

HazardJake Void-Bound Voyager

I think he meant that everyone will have to be in bed to go to sleep and let the time pass Techgamer :)
    ~Jake

17. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves Starship Captain

I do feel that sleeping should refill all health, but they could also include a system that will allow you to pass the time from night to morning in a short resting scene (Minecraft Style), though it could be quite tedious considering that all players on a given server would probably have to be in a bed at the same time for it to actually work. Ignoring that, it would be really useful in singleplayer.

18. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

I wonder if you can form relationships with your crew. Like depending on how well and how fast you help them, they'll like you more/less kind of thing.

Well that's not very nice...

19. KXI System

KXI System Master Chief

Well it could be multi purpose, I mean beds can be used for more than one thing so why not use them for more than one? (perverts keep your thoughts to yourselves)

I was thinking there could be a nap, rest, sleep option. Nap being able to past time, kinda like how sleeping in minecraft does. Rest restores HP and sleep advances the story.

But thats just a possibility.

Krunch likes this.
  20. Thiel

Thiel Zeromus

Ya I know, it go bye bye now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.