1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Old Space Station Hub as Your Ship, Vannila Multiplayer Compatiple

Discussion in 'Vehicles and Mounts' started by BobdaBiscuit, Dec 5, 2013.

1. BobdaBiscuit

BobdaBiscuit Big Damn Hero

Yeah I think unzipping is required. The images need to be in the race folder.

2. Xyniden

Xyniden Orbital Explorer

if anyone wants to experiment with the blocks.png file, there might be a color corresponding to platforms, if we knew that we could fix the railings.
    to increase the light just edit in more yellow dots into the stationblocks.png

3. Deon

Deon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The colors are defined in the .structure file.

4. Rik

Rik Industrial Terraformer

So I have a question pertaining to this, I noticed looking in the asset folder of the ships, there is no pre-existing background file for this mod to draw off of.
    Just like custom ships, this mod requires the included background files to accompany the block-map.
    So if you still need the custom "background.png" in order for your ship to look correct outside of the block-map, why does this one display correctly to other players in multiplayer despite them not having the necessary background file?

It makes sense that vanilla ship mods to work since the alternate "backgroung.png" file existed in the directory without having to add additional files, so when I downloaded your zip, I expected to see only the dropship.structure and a block-map file. What makes this mod different from all the other custom ship mods?

Forgive me if my question sounds ignorant, I'm not currently at home to look at the directory myself, and I'm merely making conclusions based on the disclosed zip in your Original post.

5. Itsyuka

Itsyuka Aquatic Astronaut

This isn't actually a mod, it just enables you to use the Space Station that is in the game that you can't actually access. (which means everyone has these background images).

6. Rik

So when you say everyone, do you mean all races or just a specific race? From what I know of my previous ship modding experiences, the avian race does not have any kind of images like that.

There is only two background images in the default directory. One for the standard in game ship, and one for the older unused drop-ship.

7. BobdaBiscuit

Turns out that whoever made the blockmap for the station most likely didn't even look at the art files, I just had to quickly release an update to the blockmap because the vannila one had people clipping through walls sinking through stairs and walking on air.
    Please fire whoever did that lel

The human race SHOULD have the images left in there by the devs, however I should have included the images in my download aswell.

8. Kelzo

Kelzo Void-Bound Voyager

It's not unzipping it's asking for an app to open it, which app should could I use?

9. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

An unarchiver. Something like Winrar or whatever.

10. okok111

okok111 Pangalactic Porcupine

I love the idea of this, but is there a way to convert your existing character to one of these? If not I may wait until the next update to muck around with this amazingness.

11. Rik

Yes, there is a guide on how to do so in the steam starbound community section.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=201033665#-1

12. UncleGeorge

UncleGeorge Void-Bound Voyager

It works in multiplayer for others only if you play a human, other races show big nonthingness to the people who didn't install the files themself for the race you're trying to play as (I expect it's because the original art files are only found in the human folder). Works right away if you play as a human for everyone tho

13. Katlatze

Katlatze Pangalactic Porcupine

Edit: Was crashing due to an unrelated error, working fine now. Thanks!!

Edit2: Okay this is officially the coolest thing ever. We're going to set this up as our base of operations on our server right after the character reset. I LITERALLY CAN'T WAIT. Thanks for putting together this mod, and I hope the devs keep the files in the game so that this will continue to work on multiplayer without making everyone download it!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  14. Wilcol

Wilcol Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is brilliant, apart from lack of platforms initially.

15. eran100

eran100 Void-Bound Voyager

I get black screen...

16. Alsehr

Alsehr Pangalactic Porcupine

This is pretty spectacular, but my issues lie in the function of the ship itself. For one, the grid is not laid properly over the graphics, and as a result, you get blocks placed *Near* walls, but not flush against them. The other issue I have is that while many of the decorations are very attractive, they are not functional and painted onto the walls. As an overall mod, it's very good. Large enough, as some people have said, for a large group of people. With your permission, I will fix the grid overlay issue with small graphical edits, remove "painted" graphics for my own personal use, and if possible, replace the background with an editable BG tileblock area, so that the level of customizability will grow.

=)

17. Katlatze

The problem with the grid not being laid properly over the graphics is that the whole image is not perfectly laid to grid. You'd have to move some things over (very noticeably the vertical hallways, and I noticed a ceiling wall in the Sick Bay needs moving as well). If you're undertaking this project I'd love to have your finished copy, with the furniture removed and things! Do you know how to make the background into editable tile? I expected the space station image to act as the "inside wall" of the spaceship, ie whats behind everything else, but it seems to function as the background wall itself and I wasn't sure why.

You also don't really need OPs permission to do that because the files are made by the starbound devs :)

18. Alsehr

Alsehr Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm well familiar with pixel editing, and this isn't so simple as moving the entire image sideways. No, some of the dimensions are not adhering to 8x8 grid sizes. As you pointed out, the verticle shafts. The graphical edit will take some time, but after I finish fixing the grid and adding some of my own edits, I'll do some research into the methods they used to define the editable tiles. I looked at the config file, and as far as I can tell, it's simply a defined rectangle with an item type. It's simple, but with such a large area, defining every individual area may be a pain. Anyway, will keep you updated.

19. Katlatze

Here's a silly solution. This puts Glass Wall in the background layer, which is mostly invisible, can be broken easily, and most importantly will let you place your own background wall in its place.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jyh6cg93pqqwkq2/human.zip

I tried changing the blue pixels to be neither foreground nor background, but that stopped the Storage, Fuel tank, Tech computer, and lights from spawning, strangely. Going to stick with this glass solution until we find something cleaner.

20. BobdaBiscuit

I'm releasing a patch on that very subject, due to Chucklefish not making the image align perfectly I've managed to only get it to clip by a few pixels now.