Modding Discussion OLD--POST IN NEW THREAD--Mod List, Modding Guides, and General Modding Discussion

Discussion in 'Mods' started by cantorsdust, Feb 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tm080201

tm080201 Master Chief

No you got it right the first time, and are not stupid! That was really interesting information.

It's very simple to overwrite existing files and I even did so to customize my Farmer's hair to a style closer to my own.

What would be nice, would be the ability to create custom content, like new hairstyles/shirts, etc, that other players could use. In order for someone else to use my custom hairstyle, if they wanted, they'd have to use the entire hairstyle XNA I created that overwrites the one style.

Attached Files:

• cantorsdust

cantorsdust Existential Complex

I've very hopeful for SMAPI. Zoryn's already got realtime adding of new items with custom textures going, and the custom textures are loose PNGs. No XNB packing required. That also hopefully means new objects, hairstyles, etc, can be added one at a time by multiple mods without issue.

• Zoryn4163

Zoryn4163 Big Damn Hero

Hopefully so, however I've run into an issue with the menus and custom content crashing to desktop and fear the worst (inheriting IClickableMenu and writing my own menus, and injecting them as menus change in-game)
        I can freely load any content I please though, that isn't an issue. If all of CA's public methods were virtual though this could be done quite easily...
        Edit: Lol I fixed the crashes with the inventory, I'm so tired it's making me overlook dumb things. :facepalm:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
        • Drogean

Drogean Scruffy Nerf-Herder

just wanted to say this is a fantastic mod and extremely helpful fixing some of the biggest nit picks people seem to have about the game

great job, i hope you continue working on it

• animandan

animandan Void-Bound Voyager

I'm digging the portrait overhaul. Just for fun I did a quick edit of Abigail's portrait to match her in-game sprite more. Some of the dialog talks about her having purple hair too. If I ever do it for real I'd probably make it darker though.
            [​IMG]

• James009

James009 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Can someone post an example of how to use this? I've always had trouble getting command line stuff to work. I simply cannot get files to recompile back into XNB format :(

EDIT: Thanks for posting that guide. I've begun spriting and modding as a result of it.

• cantorsdust

I'm going to make a step by step album with pictures because this question has come up so much.

James009 likes this.
                • GianTDIX

GianTDIX Starship Captain

Well I did changed all overworld sprites to match the ingame portraits so it looks as it should also if you realize most of the vanilla ones doesnt match with their own portraits. Most of the males had their hair changed and abigail has her hair color and ribbon position while staring at front fixed.
                  Now I will see if I can bring some hairstyles and clothes from original HM games replacing duplicated clothes and Hairs that looks alike too many times.

• cantorsdust

Okay, here's a nice one with pictures I had made last night.

http://imgur.com/gallery/WCfeO/

James009 and Draivin like this.
                    • James009

James009 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

• Double_Points

Double_Points Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I just want something to change the dirt on your farm into grass, instead of having extremes of each. (Bare dirt-IHaventBotheredToCutTheGrassInFiveYears) :p

• IcyPhoenix

IcyPhoenix Subatomic Cosmonaut

Furtherest I've gotten in trying to enable multiplayer -

http://www.twitch.tv/icyfenix/v/51656977

But somethings wrong with the xml data for the map file (assumption) so it doesn't phrase on the other client, not sure if I can bebothered fixing that lol

James009 likes this.
                        • GianTDIX

GianTDIX Starship Captain

I really feel like the orginal multiplayer isnt going to work. I think either the farm will be bigger or we could travel farm to farm with a bus. I think CA removed Multi in order to make something better.

By the way if I wanted to add a shirt/Hairs/Accesories since I want bring some from the original HM games which files should I look into? I know where are the sprites but I don't know how to add them.

• Drogean

Hi all

im trying to figure out the correct order of the sounds in WAVE BANK.XWB (the pack containing every sound/music file)

I have figured out how to extract it, convert the files, and put it back into a wave-bank file but I can't figure out how to get the order correct.

All the files are numbered sequentially, so i've tried highlighting them all and dragging them in, and importing them, but somehow the file doesn't seem to be preserving the right order

i guess last thing i can try is dragging and dropping all 355 sound files manually.

if i get this working, I'll write up a whole guide. Its almost the same as terraria vs some extra steps

heres what i got

[​IMG]

any ideas?

EDIT: Figured it out, actually used a registry hack to set the number/alphabet sorting type and got it working correctly ingame.

janecats likes this.
                            • zipy199522

zipy199522 Pangalactic Porcupine

Drogean likes this.
                            • Drogean

SOUND\MUSIC MODDING GUIDE for v1.05+

UPDATED 3/31/16
                              Also here's a quick and dirty guide to sound/music modding, its similar to terraria. I have created a tools pack for easy install.

1. Download the Direct X Software Kit Here. ( CONFIRMED IT WORKS FINE IN WINDOWS 10)When installing, install only the DIRECT X Utilities. The program is now called Microsoft Cross Platform Audio Creation.
                              [​IMG]

2. Download my SOUND TOOLS package (new for 1.05) at the bottom of this post.

3. Extract WaveBankExtractPackv2.zip somewhere where you have lots of space. The unzipped game sounds take almost 1.3 GB of space. We'll refer to this location as your Work Directory.

4. Copy Stardew Valley\Content\XACT\Wave Bank.xwb to your work directory.

5. Run "Extract Wave Bank.bat" in your work directory and it should extract all the files to the "NEW" folder, while automatically encoding them to a file format the XACT application can use.

6. At this point, the Work Directory\New folder will contain every sound and music from the game in .WAV format. Keep in mind currently you can ONLY replace existing .wav files, you cannot add your own.
                              Use a program like Audacity (or any sound editing software) to modify or save any sounds over the current ones - remembering to save as "16bit wav file" audio.

Keep in mind no matter what you do, the only way to get your sound/music in-game is to replace an EXISTING sound.

7. Once your files are replaced/modified, its time to compile.
                              With XACT already installed, go to your Work Directory and open NEW\NEW.xap and it should already open the project ready to go in XACT.

8. However, you will need to update the path to point to where YOU have your sounds unzipped - the NEW folder step 3 created.

9. Double click "Wave Bank" on the left so it shows a list of all the files on the right.
                              Highlight them all, then right click and choose "Update Source Path".
                              [​IMG]
                              When asked for the new path choose the \NEW directory the sounds were extracted to. This will update the locations to match your computer. Verify it shows 355 sounds on the bottom left of the sound-list window.

NOTE: People are reporting this may duplicate the listing of every file so it will show 710 files in total not 355. If this is the case, make sure you delete the duplicates! The first file listed should be 0000000.wav and the last one must be 00000162.wav. Exact order matters

10. To compile , go to File > Build. The compiled sound package will be in the the Work Directory\New\Win folder, named "Wave bank.xwb"

11. Copy it back to the Stardew Valley\Content\XACT (making sure to back up your old copy first) and start the game.

12. You will learn very quickly if it worked or not. You should first hear birds chirping, followed by the main menu music once it shows the pink birds flying past the mountain. If you do NOT hear this, the order is wrong and the sounds have not been compiled correctly

For an example of what's possible
                              Check out my MORE MUSIC mod

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
                              • Zoryn4163

Zoryn4163 Big Damn Hero

In the OP with SMAPI you have the screenshot with it registering commands. Could I recommend having a screenshot of the help command? Some of the commands will be cut off as there are too many.
                                [​IMG]
                                Text: help, types, hide, show, save, load, exit, stop, player_setname, player_setmoney, player_setstamina, player_setmaxstamina, player_sethealth, player_setmaxhealth, player_setimmunity, player_setlevel, player_setspeed, player_changecolour, player_changestyle, player_additem, player_addmelee, out_items, out_melee, newitem, world_settime, world_freezetime, world_setday, world_setseason, world_downminelevel, world_setminelevel
                                Note: using the newitem command will crash your game the next time you try to save, so I recommend not using it.

• zipy199522

Fantastic work Drogean! This is something that for sure makes me excited to see! I love the Stardew Soundtrack and now this allows for modders/fans to make interesting variations of the music itself/new sounds! Mind if I include this in the modding guide? Full credit will go to you for this section of course.

• Drogean

please go ahead

• zipy199522

Done! Thanks a bunch again, that will be a ton of help to others in the future.

I also present my first contribution to the ever growing modlist, EasyFishing. This makes it where fish never move rapidly, and movement is very slow making the fishing minigame incredibly easy.
                                      NOTE that this currently isn't the same as cantorsdust's All Fish All Seasons All Weather Mod, and as it stands, both can't be used at the same time due to .xnb limitations. However, taking information from both you could make a combination of the two and get the best of both. (which I might get to working on later/tomorrow).
                                      Here you go all!
                                      Easy Fishing Mod: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bz-7ucDCzAILX0pISjlMRkdCTzQ&usp=sharing

Thread Status:
                                      Not open for further replies.