Old Mariner is a ghost?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xSethrin, Aug 21, 2017.

1. xSethrin

xSethrin Void-Bound Voyager

The Stardew Valley wiki states that the Old Mariner is a ghost... Is there any in game evidence to this? I just always thought he was some mysterious old dude who was maybe a little crazy. Anyway I was hoping someone could share shed some light on this for me. Thank you in advance!

• DreamerDrop

DreamerDrop Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There's a book in the library that alludes to it in game as well, something about a ship wreck and storm, so he only appears in stormy weather to offer his amulet.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Specifically from the /Marriage Guide for Farmers/, one of the 'lost library books':

When you're ready to pop the big question, you'll need to give them a 'Mermaid's Pendant'. Everyone knows what it means when you present them with one of those.
        It's rumored that on stormy days, the ghost of an old mariner appears in Stardew Valley, clutching just such a pendant.

Then again, that book seems to have been vanity-press published by Pierre, so, maybe he started the ghost rumor to add some spice to the story. That's marketing for you!

LadySurly and DreamerDrop like this.
        • wronghandle

wronghandle Star Wrangler

This goes well with the "Gunther is a ghost" theory. Have we ever seen the old mariner and Gunther in the same place at the same time? No, we have not.

• Jerev

Jerev Pangalactic Porcupine

Following that logic nearly every villager could be the ghost ;) But I get your point about Gunther. Maybe he was the one who made that scary noise when Jas and Vincent stood before the sewer gate.

• wronghandle

wronghandle Star Wrangler

Old mariner's outfit and facial hair are so similar to Gunther's. "Ha, no one will suspect my true identity once I change my hat and don these glasses!"

• LadySurly

LadySurly Void-Bound Voyager

Nah. Gunther is an Indiana Jones stylee adventurer who slips through the Museum trapdoor after hours to study the nearby Zuzu City ruins and battle with ancient skeletons and ancient slimes...

• Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

Funny thing. Only time Gunther leaves the museum is to give you that key to the sewer.