Oh wow....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chlorruption, Sep 28, 2016.

1. StrikerzRyan

StrikerzRyan Void-Bound Voyager

I think the only reason that I could, is because you can wipe your former spouse's memory so they're not mad at you. As for kids, I never even bothered. Animals have more of a use than them... You just pet them on the head once a day and they sit around the house. It would be cool if they grew up into young adults and would help out on the farm like your spouse does.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

I'm kind of... amused? Heartened? By how negative the overall reaction to the whole divorce feature is in the community here. While I can appreciate that CA put some work into adding it, it rather pleases me overall to see that the majority of players don't like the idea of hurting even a virtual spouse, let alone memory-wiping them in the bargain. Kind of reflects well on the overall niceness of the Stardew fanbase. Even knowing full well it's just a game, and you're not really doing anything bad, most players seem to honestly recoil at the idea of divorcing a spouse capriciously, and moreso with tampering with them magically.

I'm proud of you folks.

• Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

It also shows how well CA made the NPCs. He gave them personality, he made them feel alive.

I've done some messed up stuff to sims characters before and I've divorced them left and right, because they're basicly just virtual barbie dolls, you give them personality and character and they don't talk a real language. It's just easy to lock them in a tiny room until they die from starvation or lock them in the swimming pool until they drown and other messed up stuff like that because they feel like dolls rather than real life people. But the Stardew Valley characters? Naw man, I couldn't do anything like that even if I had the option.

• Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Well for me, since my main character is somewhat based on my personality; and being my only save... It is reason enough not to use the feature on that save. That and yes attachment to all the nicely done characters in game. I was planning to have multiple saves to begin with. I just had not gotten around to having more than one save just yet. The upcoming update is quite an excuse to make a new save, and have another character. I probably won't still use it, but there is still possibility; since I do have in mind personality when creating each character. Or well in the sense of Role play that dates back to when I played dungeon & dragons a lot; among other table top games.

I wasn't one to request the feature, even if I would love to woo robin... which is basically the same thing, since you would be breaking up marriage in that. Still I haven't seen all the scenes of the rest yet. Play as I go, and see them when I happen upon them. But yes it is nice seeing lots feeling attached to their choice so strongly, makes CA's work quite wondrous and pleasant, or is it well thought out in what each character is & who they are inside and outside. Although do have to admit there is still room for my own imagination to spin wheels. :nuruhappy:

• Lysa

Lysa Space Penguin Leader

I'm proud of the community here and how caring and considerate everyone is with the characters AND more importantly with each other on these forums. It's the friendliest forum I've ever come across in any game I've played and just such a great community it almost feels like an extended family.

I'm still jealous of those of you that manage to fully roleplay their characters though. I find it impossible to 'get inside' a character in that way and I just know I would get even more enjoyment if I could. :)

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Been doing the RP thing since I was a wee little tot, no older than Jas.

Ok, maybe /slightly/ older than Jas.

And with fewer pentacles.

Sabram and Tamorr like this.
              • DaimoMac

DaimoMac Subatomic Cosmonaut

I was very alone in growing up and had to rely on my imagination alot. Imagination led to RPG's, RPG's led to DnD. I find it easy to slip into a character.

Adalia8, RaineShadow and Tamorr like this.
                • LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

I just make my character an extension of myself. What would I do in that situation? That's what she would do. And I love creating a story and personality for her that fits into the world CA has made for us. That and I'm a Furry and pretty much all we do is make up characters to represent ourselves, albeit a little fluffier. lol
                  I wouldn't consider divorce myself because it's hard for me to even feel okay making a second save to woo a different character. With all the new maps and my curiosity over Shane though I've decided I can at least allow myself a secondary character to try out the new stuff. Seb still gets my main character but the new one will be with Shane and I'll take the farm in a different direction.

• MagicallyClueless

MagicallyClueless Master Astronaut

I'm fine that divorce is an option in the game, but I just.
                    Nope. Can't do it.
                    NOPE.

I saw a post that had Sebastian's divorce dialogue and I am RUINED. I think what's even worse is that a lot of them aren't even mad at you. They're upset, trying to move on, trying to forget about you. And that hurts even more.

Sebastian will always be safe with my farmer. I can barely handle him being below 12 hearts, let alone frickin dIVORCE

Adalia8, Sabram and LuthienNightwolf like this.
                    • LuthienNightwolf

Hesitantly, I must ask for a link. Out of curiosity and because I'd never do it myself. >.> I wanna read it and then run home and cuddle him extra tight afterward. ;^;

• MagicallyClueless

alas, i found it on tumblr somewhere
                        let me see if i can find it...
                        here it is )':

LuthienNightwolf likes this.
                        • LuthienNightwolf

Lie down.
                          Try not to cry.
                          Cry a lot.

• MagicallyClueless

RIGHT???????
                            i needed to play after i saw that post
                            i was just
                            ;_;
                            i couldn't do it. ever
                            idc if these are fictional characters
                            they're real to me T_T

Sabram and LuthienNightwolf like this.
                            • Chlorruption

Chlorruption Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Haley's was really sad in a low key sort of way.

I never want to find out what Abigail's is like.

• Sabram

Sabram Starship Captain

I'm curious and frightened to see what happens with Abigail... She's my favorite of all the NPCs, and honestly I dont think I'll even bother marrying Emily when i make my 1.1 character... i'll just go back to Abby.

But, part of me still wants to know.

• Chlorruption

I bet she gets angry. She's the ragey type.

• Sabram

Sabram Starship Captain

Honestly, she never struck me like that. Part of the reason I dont want to see her divorce dialog is that I think she might cry, and that would crush me.

WonkoTSane42 likes this.
                                    • Chlorruption

Between the video games, going off on Pierre in that cutscene, and some of her Angry Spouse dialogue.... I see some rage.

Penny, though. THAT one's a for sure weeper.

• Sabram

Sabram Starship Captain

To be fair, I've never seen the Angry Spouse dialog from Abby, I always gave her presents and smooches before leaving the house, and I dont recall the cutscene you're talking about though.

I agree about Penny though. Having to go back to living with her mom would be devastating for her, with how much she wants to get away.

• Chlorruption

The Pierre cutscene is like her four or six heart one. In the graveyard.

And I had a crystalarium going for daily amethysts for her, but I talk to her one morning and she goes "What do you want? A sandwich? Make it yourself!"