Chat Official Chat Thread - The Third

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jonesy, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

HEY GUYS, I'M SURE YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TOLD ALREADY: HAVE YOU VOTED YET?! :^)

Jokes aside, I'm gonna go vote after my last class today. After being bombarded by messages to VOTE GODDAMNIT, it wouldn't feel right to just sit by. :V

KookyKeronian likes this.
  2. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

please tell me Trump is being crushed...

3. HueHuey

HueHuey Parsec Taste Tester

Yes, please tell me the same thing

Edit: oh fek

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  4. Litagano Motscoud

5. OnyxAlchemyst no Mokou

OnyxAlchemyst no Mokou Spaceman Spiff

So uh, anyone up in canada I can go bunk with for a few years?

6. HueHuey

HueHuey Parsec Taste Tester

I'm not from the US at all, but i would like an answer for this too :D

7. BloodyFingers

You didn't vote hard enough goddamnit!
    /jk

Lodish and HueHuey like this.
  8. Litagano Motscoud

Haha, well, the only thing I can do now is just sit and see what happens.

9. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

If you want to move to Canada permanently you'd either need to have some kind of in demand skill, sponsorship from relatives/family living in Canada, be a high value business-owner/entrepreneur, be a provincial nominee (each province can have more lax or strict requirements, as well as varying ways to be a nominee) or be a refugee. we're probably not going to consider americans "political refugees" though. being a temporary resident is easier and usually lasts a few years but you'll still have to prove there's good reason for you to be there, like if you're a student or temporary worker. last option is coming to Canada as a visitor, but you can only stay max 6 months and have to be able to support yourself someway (you're not allowed to get a job in Canada so that'd mean saving up money and the like).

If you have health problems or are in a group with someone who does it'll make getting in, even temporarily, way harder because the Canadian government REALLY doesn't like to add more strain to our healthcare system.

10. OnyxAlchemyst no Mokou

OnyxAlchemyst no Mokou Spaceman Spiff

Way to drown my hopes in grim reality. ._.

HueHuey likes this.
  11. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

mrw
    upload_2016-11-10_1-2-57.png

12. Treadlight

Treadlight Existential Complex

So for those of you who had strong feelings about Trump, I'd like to offer some of my opinions. I personally hated both main candidates, they were both awful in the opposite ways. Remember that he's just president, not king. There's still a whole democratic process to all of the actual laws and such. I wasn't able to vote at all; I was going to vote for Jill Stein even if it ultimately meant nothing. As much as Trump seems to be a huge bigot, I see more hope in him than I did with Clinton. I have a feeling he is and will continue to grow as a person at a good rate that will be reflected in his future decisions, judging from the subtleties of how he's acted over time and in response to what he knows. The election is over, now the best thing any of us can do is patiently watch to see what happens next. I'm personally very curious about how he will act after the presidential briefing happens. By the way, he's got some principles that really do make me optimistic. For example, he not only wants to stop the TPP and friends, but he also wants to kill NAFTA and other such trade deals. He doesn't seem like he wants to appease the popular opinion and then privately work against it, either. And at the very least, he realistically can not be worse than Bush.

Unrelated: Oh and by the way, I have a girlfriend now :3

Relten, BloodyFingers and Lodish like this.
  13. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Don't tell me the man who wants to dissolve the Environmental Protection Agency should give us hope. The man is a climate denier, and is placing the policies of the world's second-largest polluter in the hands of a climate-denier. He's threatening to undo what little progress has been made in addressing climate change, and his victory is galvanizing other extreme-right parties to do the same. The world has 15 years to make pollution cuts we've failed to make for decades, and we cannot afford the Formerly-United States to turns its back on the issue, even for only 4 years.

I just pray that he gets impeached, assassinated or leads the American economy to ruin so that it can't put the rest of the world at ecological risk.

14. Treadlight

Like I said, I'm just trying to be optimistic.

15. Jonesy

I can't blame you, and I'm sorry if I snapped. The optimist in me says that he'll mellow out, do little beyond what the Republicans wanted anyway, and ultimately be replaced. But the pessimist in me has been winning out these last couple of days, sadly.

16. Treadlight

That's understandable, it's fine. I really do think the best course of action is to patiently watch the next act unfold.

Did I mention I have a girlfriend for the first time in my miserable life? :3

17. Jonesy

Fair enough.

Congratulations! You're doing better than ol' 'I Think We're Better As Friends' Jonesy.

18. BloodyFingers

Certainly better than "I've given up on romantic relationships altogether" Bloodyfingers. Though I did win the heart of a girl recently. Got her number and all. She's a sweetheart too and even professed her love of me to her parents.

Too bad she's the 7 years old daughter of a friend of mine. Probably has no clue of what she's saying...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    rhomboid likes this.
  19. Jonesy

Your precocious admirer trumps my perpetual relegation to the friendzone. Such is the way of lonely hearts one-upmanship.

20. BloodyFingers

Not sure about that... I mean, that would only count for something should her feelings be the same eleven years from now, at least. Not to mention her father says she falls in love with a new person once a week or something like that.

...Why the fuck am I even entertaining the thought?