Odd Spouse Behavior

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CowsGoM00, Aug 3, 2016.

1. MoonlitBrenya

MoonlitBrenya Existential Complex

I wonder... on my game so far. I have only gifted the single peeps on their birthday, with no consequence. Would the affect be different if i gifted on non birthdays? The one time Elliot got upset, I had gifted Sebastion.. but looking back, I can't remember if it was a birthday, or i just happened upon him, and happened to have an item in my inventory I knew he loved. Also, when he was upset, Elliot said I gifted Seb secretly. Granted, no one was around, so 1) How the heck did he find out, did Seb tell him? and 2) if peeps HAD been around, would Elliot's jealous dialog been different? Hmm... -plots to experiment

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Everybody seems to know whenever you gift somebody, and your spouse certainly knows when you gift someone of the opposite sex who's single. It doesn't automatically make them jealous, because there's also some random factor involved. But it does raise the likelihood of your spouse losing a heart on any given day.

Of course, they'll lose hearts anyway, whether you gift or not. I just keep about 70 corn around in the refrigerator in case Alex gets annoyed. One ear of corn = instant happiness.

• AmberGoldenHeart

AmberGoldenHeart Intergalactic Tourist

Im new to stardew but i see something about "other" girlfriends and boyfriends so my question is that can you actually date more than one person/cheat and/or get caught? also is it possible to date any gender no matter what you are like same gender marriage? im probably not gonna do that i like elliot but im just curious

• Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

They'll still say you gifted them in secret even if you gift them with people around you. I gifted Haley a birthday present once where people were around and Abby (who I was married to) still said I gifted her in secret and wondered if she should be suspicious.

...It's a birthday present dammit. Can't I give my friends presents on their birthdays without the spouse getting pissy ;.;
          I mean I get it, if you randomly gift people something they love when it's not their birthday, then yeah I can see why the spouse would get a little worried. But a freaking birthday present? COME ON!

MoonlitBrenya likes this.
          • MoonlitBrenya

MoonlitBrenya Existential Complex

you can date all the eligible peeps simultaneously without consequence, regardless of sex. I dated all up to the heart scenes (except Alex, cause it was winter and he was hard to track down at the time) knowing full well I was going to marry elliot, I just wanted to see the cut scenes.

Good to know... yeah, come on, seriously. Birthday's shouldn't be looked at the same. I still gift on Birthdays, but so far not been a problem. I just make sure Elliot gets his gift first thing after I get out of the bed. I keep pomegranates in a chest in the kitchen.

• ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

I've had dips with talking to/kissing/gifting spouse EVERY day AND not talking to or gifting anyone other than talking to Pam to go to the desert if that even counts.
              There's some sort of other factor((s)) at play here.

• Unassuming Obelisk

Unassuming Obelisk Big Damn Hero

I got asked to have kids with Sebastian, said yes, and then, the next morning he refused to get out of bed and told me to "make my own breakfast." (He has never once made breakfast in the 2 years we've been married.) He was down to 12 hearts.

All I can think is: "was it that bad?"

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Think of it as a number above which a heart is lost, below which all hearts are kept. Gifting other potential mates after marriage adds X (where X = whatever secret value ConcernedApe applies), but there's also a RND rolled number for any given day. So you may gift no one but hit the max on the RND, and go over the limit. Or you may gift some people, but have a very low RND roll, and not go over the limit.

Of course, it could be a lot more complex. He may have added a different number for each potential mate, or taken into account whether the gift you gave was very liked, liked, or neutral. But I think the very simple model above is probably, more or less, maybe the one he used to work off.

• ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

Regardless it's annoying to be working so hard and be smacked down like that tbh.
                    My IRL marriage isn't this exhausting and EVERYTHING IRL exhausts me half the time.

Borodin likes this.
                    • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Agreed. It's annoying when a spouse loses a heart regardless of the fact you haven't gifted anyone, and you hug them every day. Perhaps the algorithms will be more subtle in 1.1. We can hope.

• Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Um, I am unsure, but Penny would get mad at me for giving gifts little after we got married, but nowadays she just ... doesnt care. I have 13/12 hearts with her (thats what it says at least) and when I give somebody a gift, she will not get jealous, or suspicious or anything, just her normal dialogue.

• Same happen to me on sam's birthday, and Sebastian stayed in bed all day once but he's fine know