October 21st - Terrain Generation

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by metadept, Oct 21, 2014.

1. metadept

metadept Mostly Harmless Codesman

metadept submitted a new blog post:

October 21st - Terrain Generation

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    Ahsoka, beari78, Zael and 11 others like this.
  2. Feathery Dust

Feathery Dust Spaceman Spiff

That is certainly one of those small details that'll make their games better.
    I also always liked building my bases next to ledges in MC and Terraria so yay! :D

Zael and Akado like this.
  3. Threekill

Threekill Void-Bound Voyager

The link doesn't work. I am getting page not found.

4. Feathery Dust

Same here.. could always just click to see the homepage though :P

5. metadept

metadept Mostly Harmless Codesman

Yeah, WordPress is being stupid. I'll see if I can get the post linked properly, but it should be up on the home page once your cache expires.

EDIT: Should be fixed now, I hope. Let me know if you're still having issues.

6. Feathery Dust

It's already there for me, so the problem is likely just the link malfunctioning.

7. Mystify

Mystify Void-Bound Voyager

Better terrain generation is always welcome. It would be nice if different worlds had different profiles as to how frequent different features are. Some aspects could be tied to planet tier, specifically features that are harder to deal with than the standard terrain, and some could be related to biomes, but having most of it be an independant factor would help distinguish worlds. Worlds should feel different in ways beyond their biome(s). The more aspects that can be layered together the more variety we can perceive.

Greenfinger, greenRAM, Zael and 2 others like this.
  8. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Nice! I think the environment / background changes like this are going to add up to a huge impact, and I'm looking forward to it!

Oh, and by "huge impact" i mean "falling down the canyon for the first time and dying." But, I'd probably still enjoy watching my character leave their mark on the world.

Peelz, OldNESJunkie and metadept like this.
  9. Zouleena

Zouleena Pangalactic Porcupine

The Spelunker in me just squealed a little! Love the valleys and ledges... all the better to bounce in/over/through/around <3

Greenfinger likes this.
  10. Looks great ^^, no more gentle sloping all the time forever.

11. zibbity

zibbity Void-Bound Voyager

Lookin' good, though it'd be great if you could also scale up these types of terrain features to extremes on occasion. Mountains and canyons get to be absurdly huge in real life, so why not in the game, too? I would love to be walking along and run across the Starbound equivalent of the Himalayas or the Grand Canyon. Also waiting to see what the oceans look like, with the Hylotl cities on the bottom. That'll add an entirely new dimension of awesome to the game.

Greenfinger, Lintton, Xylott and 3 others like this.
  12. redwind

redwind Master Chief

fairly small sample size there...ehh

Nimeni likes this.
  13. The Guilty Bystander

The Guilty Bystander Void-Bound Voyager

Looks like tis going to be an awesome next update! I want wait.

14. Crazyboy52

Crazyboy52 Master Chief

its good but
    just tell us
    how long the game finish ?
    i mean we just wait 6 months and 6 hours
    because i trying to telling people who hate the game ? i just forget to say i trying to make they really idk what i have to say oh ya i tell them the starbound will update soon i dont care how long i just trying to tell them game will finish any time or today any time
    I LOVE starbound
    nobody hate it :D

15. Treldent02

Treldent02 Orbital Explorer

Ledges? Hmm.... i think many cliffside bases will be made.

16. The developers have opt'd not to give a timeline for the release. In the past they've given projected release dates and all it accomplished was putting pressure on the Dev team and causing rage if people even thought they might miss.

Zael and DrChopper like this.
  17. jpmrocks

jpmrocks Phantasmal Quasar

Beautiful stuff. And is that a throwable grapple hook?

18. Cgeta

Cgeta Pangalactic Porcupine

What about some super map that contains a planets shape in a very rough way, like a pixel per chunk or so, to allow greater overarching structures, instead of solely relying to static noise. The details will be generated the old way, but it will also have a look at the super map and see if it should, for example, go up or down, or straight and stuff.

Greenfinger and Zael like this.
  19. DrChopper

DrChopper Aquatic Astronaut

Shhh, no tears, only dreams now.
    I dont really care about how long will it take. I'm having fun and I love to see new things being added. I mean, I'm really gonna have an orgasm when those FTL-like spaceship battles happen, but I'm okay with it.
    Seriously, just have fun with the game, dude.
    [​IMG]

20. silverx2

silverx2 Void-Bound Voyager

I've not played in a number of months, but i'm always excited to see the progress you guys are making. I look forward to rekindling my desire to play once some more things make it to live.

Zael and Ttamage like this.