Obscure Games

Discussion in 'Games' started by SparklySheep, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I knew it! Caddicarus did a video on it some time ago. A very... distinctive game.

2. Skelozard1

Skelozard1 Phantasmal Quasar

Indeed! I've played it once on a PS1 emulator and wow

3. Guppy The Cat

Guppy The Cat Heliosphere

Not really obscure, but I almost never find fans of it anywhere (with the exception of anime forums and things like that, as well as their own community places). The Touhou Project series is pretty fun and interesting, and more people should try it.
    Another similar game is Yume Nikki, with it's fan games .flow and Yume 2kki.

4. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

There is a wikia made just for cataloging the fan games. http://yumenikkifg.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Fangames

I only play a few because honestly Yume Nikki itself lose that special vibe (among the others) if you play was is basically clones of the same game. Some are special though such as .flow that try to add a story and mechanic to the game and even had unlockables.

5. Guppy The Cat

Guppy The Cat Heliosphere

There's a reason I only mentioned those two. ( ⓪ ◡⓪)

6. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Guest

Does The World Ends With You count as obscure?

7. Lava Cake

Lava Cake Scruffy Nerf-Herder

guys, I've heard of this really obscure game called Undertale, it's an indie game with a small following and a nice fanbase.

(Also, there is Burnout Paradise which has become loss in time.)

Lodish and MitKit like this.
  8. Ren Fox

Ren Fox Big Damn Hero

The Sword of the Stars: The Pit.
    80 Days
    Wayward Souls

9. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I would hope that's sarcastic, lol.

10. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

I don't know how obscure this is but Knytt Underground is an amazing game. It's an ambient puzzle platformer with a deep story.

11. Chrillzilla

Chrillzilla Big Damn Hero

Katamari... nuff said.

But as strange it is, i like the music and it's funny as hell!

ps:
    actually i played that one...

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  12. HueHuey

HueHuey Parsec Taste Tester

The final Stick Ranger update came out last week-end

Y'all should check out the best fighting game, Toribash:

^Some free play mode replays
    You can also fight players, turn based.

13. Hidari

Hidari Over 9000!!!

TWEWY is classified as a "cult classic": it's wildly popular in some areas of the world, and in other areas it's relatively unheard of. Other games in the same vein include EarthBound (aka Mother 2) and Shin Megami Tensei. They're still worth talking about, though, as they might as well be considered obscure in certain regions. ;3

A really obscure game that I don't hear people talk about is Thexder. ;o It's a really old game, but it did receive a remake on the PSP/PS3/Vita systems, and it is absolutely gorgeous (and modestly priced!).

Original (1985):

Thexder NEO (2012):

14. Ren Fox

Ren Fox Big Damn Hero

Aha! Thexder NEO reminds me of another obscure title!
    Azure Striker Gunvolt

http://gunvolt.com/en/

Bullet Hell Platform with a sci-fi anime theme.
    A cooler revamp of the original megaman, in a sense.

Steam and 3DS

Hidari likes this.
  15. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

How about...

[​IMG]

This one was kinda Prince of Persia, but with good ol sci-fi themes, very dark natured and very difficult back when I was a kid.

Chrillzilla, Jonesy and Hidari like this.
  16. Hidari

Hidari Over 9000!!!

Oh! It was also called Out of This World (SNES, US version). The Game Grumps did a playthrough of this on their channel. :3 Good times.

17. HueHuey

HueHuey Parsec Taste Tester

Looks pretty good
    Are the PS3 and PSP versions the same?

Also

Chrillzilla and Hidari like this.
  18. Hidari

Hidari Over 9000!!!

They are the exact same game.

The remake also comes with a port of the original Thexder mode, too. It is pretty difficult! Also super retro.

HueHuey likes this.
  19. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Oi... "Another World".....

I have that game oddly enough for SNES, but I would NOT call it "like Prince of Persia".

The game is just entirely too cheap for my tastes, the author went out of his way to make a million different things and hide them in scenery that blends together and you're supposed to somehow magically know what will kill you and what will not.

Prince of Persia, at least, was predictable. Those spike traps on the floor will always behave the same way, that guillotine will always snap you in half if you mis-time it, and fighting the various enemies was strangely fun if you didn't exploit the swordfighting mechanic.

20. Omegagreen

Omegagreen Starship Captain

two Nintendo 64 Games that I grew up playing.
    • Mischief Makers. A game with a protagonist who looks like she belongs in a Megaman X game who attacks and interacts with objects by grabbing, shaking and throwing. Also has rocket feet that allow for a damaging dash and pressing up repeatedly acts like a sort of hover. Kinda like the multi jump tech with nerfed power, but infinite use. Music has a strange but interesting soundfont and the background art has that anime semi-real thing going on. Kinda wierded out that the platforming blocks look like kinda sad faces (the same faces the Clancers (pretty much anyone who isn't, wasn't or never will be human) have)
    • Rocket, Robot on Wheels. The obscure younger brother of Banjo-Kazooie and Super Mario 64. The only time you fight something is when disabling the occasional security bot. The rest is puzzle solving, exploring and 3D platforming. Really goofy game with a goofy smooth jazz sound track to go with it. The game where I had my first jumpscare. I had picked something up when a robot clown stole it off me and had the nastiest laugh I've ever heard. Didn't sound like a goofy clown laugh, this was a nasal/guttural "HAAEEEHAHEHEHHHH!"
    DS games.
    • Drawn to Life. Quirky and adorable with an on board sprite editor where you drew the sprite for a whole bunch of things. It's sequel had a really sad ending though.
    Mac.
    • Bugdom. Can't remember. It was one of those 3D platformers like BK and SM64.