1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

NPC Villager quest type/POI problem

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by DaveyPlant, Sep 1, 2021.

1. DaveyPlant

DaveyPlant Big Damn Hero

I've started to run into issues related to NPC quests particularly the combat and rescue ones and wondering if anyone has solutions.

What I have found is that these quests are dependent upon points of interest (abandoned cabin, cliffside pond, dungeon, etc) on the planet. In other words you will never ever ever get quests to rescue new villagers/kill enemies unless that planet has certain points of interest spawned. Without those it will be an endless stream of grow this, find me this ore, pass this note for me in class, etc. Not exciting.

What's worse, it seems if these points of interest which mark rescue/fighting quests get altered even slightly the game no longer considers them valid spawning areas. A friend could beam onto the planet you've built a massive colony on and innocuously take some blocks from one of these, or a group of NPCs spawn for a quest and do tile damage breaking a few blocks, or even a weather hazard all resulting in the same POI alteration to toast that spawn zone.

So does anyone know how you stop this from happening? What exactly tags these as valid spawn zones and can it be done by the player? A hidden spawned utility object placed in them or perhaps another way to fix them once they're damaged so quests recognize them again. I don't want to admin spawn stuff into my game but if there's no other way.

2. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Make a barrier around it, to prevent careless player or block-breaking weather from damaging it, but I think it will look ugly.
    I don't think there is any kind of hidden object in those structures (or here, known as microdungeons) that make that place tagged as part of a quest or even act as a tag. So, there is simply nothing we can do to fix it if those structures is alterate accidentally or on purpose.

So far, the most reliable quest spawn point I know is the major structures (or major dungeons), like Avian Temple, Floran Hunting Grounds, Hylotl Ruined Castle, Human Prison, Apex Test Facility, Glitch Evil Fortress, etc. Because they are hardly to get broken, but yeah, they are usually far away from friendly settlements.

DaveyPlant likes this.
  3. DaveyPlant

DaveyPlant Big Damn Hero

Barrier out of blocks I assume you mean, yes that'd be ugly but maybe the shield generator object placed to protect it? I'm not sure if that's even available to get without console spawning or if it would interfere with the spot. It seems to me the best way would be to build your settlement very close to a super dungeon like the ones you mention which are difficult to destroy.

There must be something that tags an area as possible quest site. Maybe some of the admins would be willing to shed light on that.

4. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Perhaps there's a code or ID that has been embedded to the structure when it first spawns. So once you break even just one block of the structure, the code or ID that embedded to it breaks, and no longer functional. Probably since they no longer consider it as a structure anymore.

Moreover, maybe the Starbound wiki will tell you a bit about it.

5. DemChanges

DemChanges Void-Bound Voyager

Yes soon as you alter the area on the ID of the "dungeon" the area becomes just same as a empy space or space you built upon. This is saved in the planet's file as alteration and stays like that forever.
    Every spawned place of significance on the planet is named "dungeon"

You can fix your issue by doing this:
    Enter Admin mode and spawn a microdungeon of choice, even more then one if you wish. Keep in mind dungeons always spawn on the right side from your standpoint no matter how your character is faced on which side. Why I don't suggest big things because it might ruin some of your builds. Or it's more interesting when there are more small ones next to each other then one big that becomes boring fast, especially if it's a sort of a obsticle course that needs roaming around it.

for example
    /spawnmicrodungeon gardenhouseruin

More info on here and you can see peviews and choose what to spawn on here:
    https://starbounder.org/Microdungeons