NPC Relationships in Multiplayer

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Dr. Ivo Robotnik, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Dr. Ivo Robotnik

Dr. Ivo Robotnik Contact!

Personally, I don't really plan on playing this game much single-player, but I don't want to be deprived a big part of the experience. Would it be possible for multiple player characters to live in the same town and befriend the NPCs and even possibly marry?

Personally, I would like the idea of working cooperatively with a friend (or friends) to build up the farm, but then compete for the same girl (or guy) to spice it up.

I know that it would be cumbersome to pause the entire game world while one person shares an "intimate" moment with an NPC, but I think that could be easily mitigated with the game only pausing for the person involved and if any other player characters happen to wander by, they will see speech bubbles over the affected player's/NPC's heads, and possibly be able to eavesdrop on the conversation.

Anyone agree/disagree with me?

• Kalvuric

Kalvuric Big Damn Hero

It should be an option for people who want it, but for me it would probably devolve into some sort of trolling contest with my bros, complete with comments about "huge tracts of land" and "oh sorry I accidentally fenced you in with rocks on purpose." But I guess that's fun in a dysfunctional way too.:rofl:

• Dr. Ivo Robotnik

Dr. Ivo Robotnik Contact!

lolwut? Your response has nothing to do with NPC relationships in a multiplayer game, just commentary on multiplayer in general

EDIT: I guess you can get married in multiplayer according to the DEV, you can even marry other player characters... cool http://community.playstarbound.com/...w-questions-about-the-game.15060/#post-575399

• Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

Oh damn... a race to see who can woo her first...
          [​IMG]

• Sariod

Sariod Void-Bound Voyager

Wooing races. Could be fun. lol

• Cloakedboltz

Cloakedboltz Guest

Sort of like the rival system in FoMT but you don't have a year restriction or need to see events.

Kalvuric likes this.
              • Kalvuric

Kalvuric Big Damn Hero

It totally had to do with the mechanics of NPC relations in multiplayer (while you're sitting there chatting up NPCs, the other players are still running around doing who knows what) but if you're talking about strictly roleplay, than yeah I guess you're right. In that case, CA pretty much hit the nail on the head with the marriage thing, as it now has the potential to hook in with NPCs, ex. John the grocer knows you're married with xoJillxo and responds with different dialogue. That would indeed be cool. (sidenote: can NPCs interact in a similar fashion? Like the doctor hooks up with the fisherman, or do two different players cows "do stuff" when kept together?)

I think overall it's great as long as there aren't any arbitrary restrictions on time, dragging out the game with time sinks and boring our faces off, doubly important when you're making 3 other people wait at the same time.

• CJoker3221

CJoker3221 Pangalactic Porcupine

A wooing race...
                  I can see two guys just waiting in front of the door, waiting for the girl to come out and spam "Give -insert gift here-"
                  Well..that would uhh...appealing I guess? xD
                  There should be a period of time where she would accept gifts :)

• oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

I mean, I guess...I dunno how this would work.