1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Nothing But Crashing

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by GreenEyedHawk81, Aug 28, 2017.

1. GreenEyedHawk81

GreenEyedHawk81 Intergalactic Tourist

The game does nothing but crash. It doesn't matter what I'm doing. If IF it makes it through startup without some kind of "fatal error" it just runs for 15 or 20 minutes and then dies. That's it. It makes no difference if I'm on my ship or on a planet or moving or fighting or standing still. It doesn't matter if my inventory's open or not.

At this point, after having paid Steam $10 just so the game could be gifted to me (and everyone wonders why I hate Steam so much) only to have it do nothing but crash has me pretty much at the end of my patience. I've been playing pretty much since the beginning and I understand that when stuff's in beta it's buggy....but at this point I've spent more money than I should ever have had to just to GET the game and to have it do nothing but crash is a massive disappointment.

2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Please provide your starbound.log located in the storage folder of your starbound install and also provide your specs. Are you using mods?

~ Iris ~

3. GreenEyedHawk81

OKay. How? I can't see how to post an attachment and I'm pretty sure you don't want me to just c/p it.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  4. Iris Blanche

The log can be attached via the "upload a file" button. You can write your specs in the reply (cpu, ram, video card, that kind of stuff).

~ Iris ~

5. GreenEyedHawk81

Hopefully this is the correct way. I've never seen this format on a forum before.

I'm not running any mods. This is a fresh install that was just gifted to me over Steam (which I had to PAY to receive, not real impressed with that)

ASUS P5Q mainboard w/ Intel Core Duo E8200 CPU, Nvidia GForce GT640

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  6. Iris Blanche

How much ram do you have? Also how much vram (video card memory) do you have?

According to the log you're running out of memory when the outpost is loaded/created causing the crashes you're experiencing. It is most likely possible that your machine isn't capable to run starbound properly. But without the information about ram and vram i can't say it for sure.

~ Iris ~

Roskii Heiral likes this.
  7. GreenEyedHawk81

4GB of ram in this machine, plus 1GB on the video card itself.

8. Iris Blanche

Hm...ram and vram should be sufficient then...
    What other software is open when you play starbound?

~ Iris ~

9. GreenEyedHawk81

Nothing. Not even Steam.

10. Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

Have you removed any mods recently?

11. GreenEyedHawk81

This install is completely unmodded.

12. Iris Blanche

Problem is you are running out of video memory.
    Code:
    [15:38:34.360] [Error] OpenGL errors during shutdown:  GL_OUT_OF_MEMORY
    That's why i am asking for any software that is running which may affect video memory. 1GB should be sufficient.

~ Iris ~

13. Roskii Heiral

I did run into that issue once, its why I asked about the mods.

So you're running a completely clean vanilla install. Have you tried reinstalling?

14. GreenEyedHawk81

Yup. A couple times.

15. Roskii Heiral

Hmm, I'm really sorry to hear that. Could you pull up task manager as you play and say if anything odd happens percentage-wise when starting the game?

@Iris Blanche
    Do you think this line could have something to do with it? I've never seen it pop up in my log before

[14:55:04.465] [Warn] Error loading player storage metadata file, resetting: (IOException) could not open file '..\storage\player\metadata' 2

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  16. Iris Blanche

@Roskii Falfeather
    The metadata gets most likely corrupted due to the out of memory crash. However it "only" stores the player list and the recent used commands and sent chat messages iirc. It also gets automatically recreated if it is corrupted or missing. So for the file it's not much to worry about.

@GreenEyedHawk81
    The ram and vram usage while beaming to the outpost would be interesting. If you already run out of memory when beaming to the outpost you probably won't be able to beam to the big missions.

~ Iris ~

17. GreenEyedHawk81

I can't progress any further as any attempt to deploy to the Floran mission causes immediate freeze. Also I frequently loop when teleporting and have to constantly restart to correct this.

This game is unplayable. I can't progress at all; the unstable beta ran more reliably. This needles me especially because this was a gift that I had to PAY effing Steam for in order to receive.

18. MrVauxs

MrVauxs Giant Laser Beams

19. GreenEyedHawk81

My system is more than capable of running this game. If I can play State of Decay at the highest settings with no issues, I can run this.