1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Not starting in Steam

Discussion in 'Support' started by starburn, Mar 11, 2018.

1. starburn

starburn Intergalactic Tourist

Bought Stardew Valley on Steam for Windows 10 (new build PC). Shows as running in Steam for 2-5 secs, then stops.

In EventViewer there are the following errors:

Faulting application name: Stardew Valley.exe, version: 1.2.6400.27469, time stamp: 0x59638c0d
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.16299.248, time stamp: 0x13ae3814​

and

Fault bucket 129501777717, type 5
    Event Name: CLR20r3
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: Stardew Valley.exe
    P2: 1.2.6400.27469
    P3: 59638c0d
    P4: Stardew Valley
    P5: 1.2.6400.27469
    P6: 59638c0d
    P7: 71f
    P8: 1c
    P9: System.BadImageFormatException
    P10:​

So far I've tried:
    • Plugging in headphones
    • Reinstalling the game
    • Running as admin from the exe, rather than from Steam
    • Checking that compatibility mode is off (on game exe and steam)
    • Verifying integrity of install files using steam
    • Reinstalling XNA from the redist folder in the Stardew directory
    • Reinstalling XNA from the MS downloader
    • Reinstalling .NET from the redist folder in the Stardew directory (it won't proceed with install, as "Microsoft .NET Framework 4 is already a part of this operating system. You do not need to install the .NET Framework 4 redistributable."
    • Looking for error logs in %APPDATA%/Stardew Valley (that directory doesn't exist in %APPDATA%
    I'm running out of things to try based on all of the other examples I've seen of people having this problem. Can anyone help with suggestions, and if not is there a way I can seek a refund?

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

• starburn

Hi, sorry for slow reply - work busy. Have done the above and the log is here - https://log.smapi.io/GYsfxViP - and only contains the following:

[10:47:34 INFO SMAPI] SMAPI 2.5.4 with Stardew Valley 1.2.33 on Microsoft Windows 10 Home
      [10:47:34 DEBUG SMAPI] Mods go here: E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley\Mods
      [10:47:34 TRACE SMAPI] Log started at 2018-03-30T09:47:34 UTC
      [10:47:34 ERROR SMAPI] SMAPI failed to initialise: System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.dll' or one of its dependencies. is not a valid Win32 application. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800700C1)
      File name: 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.dll'
      at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.SGame..ctor(IMonitor monitor, Reflector reflection, EventManager eventManager, Action onGameInitialised)
      at StardewModdingAPI.Program.RunInteractively() in C:\source\_Stardew\SMAPI\src\SMAPI\Program.cs:line 195

[10:47:34 INFO SMAPI] Game has ended. Press any key to exit.

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

@starburn There's something wrong with your XNA Framework. Have you already tried uninstalling XNA Framework and rebooting before you reinstall from the redist folder?

• starburn

Thanks for your suggestion - I've retried that now, using both the XNA that came with it, and downloaded from MS. With full shutdown between uninstall and reinstall, but same error still happening.

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

Hmm, that's too bad. The only solution I've seen work consistently for that problem is a clean reformat and reinstall of Windows; is that feasible in your case? (Let me know if you find a different solution, though!)