1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Non Steam Starbound

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by ChikoEduardo, Dec 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChikoEduardo

ChikoEduardo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Is there a way to play a non steam version of the game or have the steam one run outside of it? I remember playing other games, and noticed steam versions were more prone to crash, lag a lot more and have start up issues.

The current version of the game won't run for me but I suspect running it outside of steam might do the trick.

2. Åmbether

Åmbether Void-Bound Voyager

Actually, there is a way to start the game non-steam (but you will need steam to keep it updated, etc.) if you navigate to the steam folder, e.g. U:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win32\launcher, there will be a file called launcher in there. just use that to start up the game. Hope this helps.

3. ChikoEduardo

Thanks for the quick reply. I just tried it but it will still run the steam version upon hitting the "Launch Starbound" button. Hitting the "Launch Starbound
    (OpenGL)" one will open another Starbound Launcher... that's just weird. xD

4. RvLesh

RvLesh Parsec Taste Tester

You can't run Starbound without Steam running on a machine which has Steam installed, and there's no reason to.

If Steam is not installed, Starbound should run normally.

5. The Alien Way

The Alien Way Existential Complex

Not sure why the DRM is even enabled, since you can prowl the forums and find main devs stating that no versions, even Steam, would make use of Steam's CEG protection (aka DRM) or any other kind.. Its a developer option, not a forced thing, and can easily be disabled via a request to Steam from Tiy :> Also you can google "gog drm free games on steam" and find a pretty long list of games whose devs chose not to make use of the DRM..

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  6. RvLesh

There's no DRM. If Steam is installed, Starbound attempts to use it, since Steam will check for an update before the game is launched. If Steam isn't installed, Starbound won't attempt to use it.

The Alien Way likes this.
  7. BeLe

BeLe Big Damn Hero

So if you don't want it to use steam while you have it installed, rename steam.exe to something else, and rename it back when you're done. And yeah it has to be that annoying, if you try starting it while its renamed it will "redownload" it's exe.

8. ChikoEduardo

The new version works now but I tried renaming steam to play without it anyways. As I imagined, the game lags A LOT less. I only see minor lag when in combat but the game is now really playable for me. This solution to lag should be posted somewhere so all the ppl having lag issues can try it. :3

9. RvLesh

If the game is lagging with Steam running but not without, you just needed to disable the Steam overlay.

10. ChikoEduardo

Weird... I disabled the overlay and the game just crashes everytime I start a new game. I guess I'll keep using the other solution. :p

11. starbuggalaxy

starbuggalaxy Aquatic Astronaut

I feel i will have the same problem with this new update. :( So I'll try these ways of launching the game without steam.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.