RELEASED Non-Default Replacement Chickens (Silkie, Orpington, Barred Rock)

Discussion in 'Livestock' started by Lavapulse, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Lavapulse

Lavapulse Phantasmal Quasar

[​IMG]

There's been so many great retextures already that I didn't want to choose between them all, so I figured out how to add more animal breeds. Seeing as there weren't many chicken retextures yet, I made my own Silkie and Orpington varieties. Let me know if you want any individual from this set on its own or as a default replacement.

You can download them all together, and they'll all appear together as extra chicken breeds in the game.

For modders:
    If you know how to edit .xnb files (there are wonderful tutorials in this modding community), you can easily add your own breeds by adding a new line to the FarmAnimals file. As long as the name you specify in-file matches the name of the animal texture you made, it should work just fine. Don't delete animal breeds without editing the FarmAnimals file unless you want to crash your game. If you don't want a certain chicken, make sure to remove that chicken's name from the FarmAnimals file; don't just delete the chicken's picture, or the game will crash if it thinks the picture is still there and tries to load it.

Use my tool here to make the breeds show up in your game.

(Or: how to edit your save manually):

1. Find your savefile (I know on Windows, type "%appdata%" without quotes into the navigation bar of the file explorer, and then look in the "Stardew Valley" folder). It'll be the file in your saves that has the name of your character in the title
    (1.5: copy the file and rename it as a backup)
    2. Open your savefile in a text editor (like notepad, which comes with Windows computers, or download a free one like Notepad++, or Sublime, or anything equivalent)
    3. You'll see a long string of text. Change what you want, and save over the original file. Make sure you save over the original and don't create a new file or anything.
    * The text you'll see here is written in a type of code called XML, similar to HTML, it's not a real programming language but a kind of notation. <tags like this> tell you what you're about to define, </tags like this> tell you you're done defining something, and <X>stuff in between</X> is the actual data.
    * For this mod, you're going to want to search for <type>White Chicken</type> or <type>Brown Chicken</type> and change it to <type>White Silkie Chicken</type> or whatever you want. The "Find" or "Search" function that comes with most text editors is really helpful here. Watch out for typos and extra spaces. I suggest copy-pasting the breed name if you're afraid you'll goof and crash your game.

Sounds complicated, but it's really as easy as editing an essay if you know what to look for.

Breeds:

White Silkie Chicken
    BabyWhite Silkie Chicken.png White Silkie Chicken.png

Buff Silkie Chicken
    BabyBuff Silkie Chicken.png Buff Silkie Chicken.png

Black Silkie Chicken
    BabyBlack Silkie Chicken.png Black Silkie Chicken.png

Blue Orpington Chicken
    BabyBlue Orpington Chicken.png Blue Orpington Chicken.png

*New*
    Barred Rock Chicken
    BabyBarred Rock Chicken.png Barred Rock Chicken.png

*New*
    Buff Orpington Chicken
    BabyBuff Orpington Chicken.png Buff Orpington Chicken.png

1. Install xnb_node (see tool post).
    2. Download and open my tool.
    3. Load up your FarmAnimals file (the one the tool finds automatically in your StardewValley/Content folder) with the FarmAnimals tab
    4. Use the Install tab to open up each breed you want in your game. Just open each breed's .xnb files with the program (in the "Animals" folder of this download) and everything will be imported and set up for you.
    5. Use the Save Editor tab to load your save and change your animals to whatever breeds you want
    * Tool is still in early development. This means the tool itself might crash. Don't worry. It shouldn't harm your game. Just restart the tool and it'll probably be fine. If the problem persists, let me know so I can fix it.

Manual Install:​
    Install the animal breeds from the Animals folder into Stardew Valley/Content/Animals. Install the FarmAnimals file from the Data folder into Stardew Valley/Content/Data and let it overwrite your old file. When installing any mod, I suggest making a backup of game files before you overwrite them in case you want to uninstall the mod later. With this method, you must install all the files included in the download.

Guys. Fluffy chickens. They're so dorky they're cute.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    • Crucifigo

Crucifigo Title Not Found

oh my gosh silkies!! that is absolutely precious, they look great

Lavapulse likes this.
      • Lavapulse

Thank you :D

• Vixxi

Vixxi Aquatic Astronaut

Will totally try this out! This will be awesome! I wonder if you could get extra pets too to wander around.

Edit: I took a look at the yaml and I know nothing about programing, but I did notice that the number values, the first 2 after the 1/3 is different for each chicken. I suspect the void one has that because of the way you get the egg, but I don't know about the brown one being different.

Just to check, I switched out your chickens for the code to the brown one rather than the white in the yaml.

Unfortunately I had no luck with either.

Something must be in the values that are wrong so that they don't show in in Marnie's repertoire of chickens.

Ah, well. It's a bit of work, but thank you for instructing how to manually change a chicken into that breed. That still means we can have multiple breeds, just with a bit of work around.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
            Lavapulse likes this.
          • FinalMantasyX

FinalMantasyX Big Damn Hero

Should post in the main modding forum about this method of adding new content. I don't think anyone else has added totally new things like this yet.

Vixxi likes this.
            • Lavapulse

Hey, thanks for going to the effort of testing. I copied the white chicken as a template, so these new chickens should have everything in common that's configurable via the .xnb files. I noticed those number differences too and I believe some of it has to do with egg output. Based on what we know about the plant configurations, I'm guessing some of the numbers have to do with maturation rate. I do know that CA originally meant for animals to be butcherable for meat, and based on the data tags in the save files, I'm sure some of these numbers refer to meat content, HP, and the like. I haven't found anything in these files regarding shop content, so editing the shoplists will probably have to be done with Storm. I'll update if I figure that out.

• Jokerine

Jokerine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

OH MY GOD. The main reason I got this game was because I LOVE CHICKENS and this is just soo, soo great! Thank you! Thank you! <3

Lavapulse and taintedwheat like this.
                • Cec1l

Cec1l Void-Bound Voyager

Ahh these are lovely! <3 How do you get them though? Do they just poof up when purchasing chickens? I have a deluxe coop.

Lavapulse likes this.
                  • Vixxi

Vixxi Aquatic Astronaut

No problem ^^
                    I know absolutely next to nothing about coding or scripting, I only guessed what the things might be. I'd forgotten that some animals were meant to be bucherable. That'll be interesting if CA adds that later on.
                    Keep us updated if you get it fixed. And great work again! I will definitely manually change my chickens.

• taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

Silkies are the cutest chickens in real life for sure. I don't really like birds too much, but they are one of my favs. :3

Lavapulse likes this.
                      • Minuet Melody

Minuet Melody Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My family had two beautiful buff orpingtons, they were great birds! I'm really happy to see more variety of breeds in game. Thank you.

Lavapulse likes this.
                        • xFishbone

xFishbone Cosmic Narwhal

now all we need is an angora rabbit sprite!

• Cec1l

Cec1l Void-Bound Voyager

How do you open farmanimals to edit the chickens in? Ive bought a ton of chickesn and cant seem to get any :(

• Lavapulse

If you're just trying to get these chickens to show up, you'll currently have to edit your save file. Editing farmanimals is only if you're adding your own breeds for your own mod.

• Cec1l

Cec1l Void-Bound Voyager

How do I edit my save file?

• Lavapulse

You can either use one of the save file editors posted here, or you can do so manually:
                                  1. Find your savefile (I know on Windows, type "%appdata%" without quotes into the navigation bar of the file explorer, and then look in the "Stardew Valley" folder). It'll be the file in your saves that has the name of your character in the title
                                  (1.5: copy the file and rename it as a backup)
                                  2. Open your savefile in a text editor (like notepad, which comes with Windows computers, or download a free one like Notepad++, or Sublime, or anything equivalent)
                                  3. You'll see a long string of text. Change what you want, and save over the original file. Make sure you save over the original and don't create a new file or anything.
                                  * The text you'll see here is written in a type of code called XML, similar to HTML, it's not a real programming language but a kind of notation. <tags like this> tell you what you're about to define, </tags like this> tell you you're done defining something, and <X>stuff in between</X> is the actual data.
                                  * For this mod, you're going to want to search for <type>White Chicken</type> or <type>Brown Chicken</type> and change it to <type>White Silkie Chicken</type> or whatever you want. The "Find" or "Search" function that comes with most text editors is really helpful here. Watch out for typos and extra spaces. I suggest copy-pasting the breed name if you're afraid you'll goof and crash your game.

Sounds complicated, but it's really as easy as editing an essay if you know what to look for.

• hikarushirou

hikarushirou Scruffy Nerf-Herder

AHHHHH, SILKIES! <3

Delsin7 and Lavapulse like this.
                                    • pixieNpixels

pixieNpixels Subatomic Cosmonaut

These are amazing but I am a bit confused. Are they like the white and brown vanilla game chickens where it's random what you get or is it another selectable option when purchasing livestock from Marnie? (personally the orpingtons are my fave)

• Lavapulse

First: thanks :)
                                        Second: Right now you can't buy them from Marnie. I'm trying to figure out how to make them appear randomly like when you buy a chicken and it's randomly white or brown. That's the goal. However, that requires I create a script mod with Storm or SMAPI (in the works). In order to see them in your game, you have to change a chicken's breed in your save file. Instruction on that are in the original post under "How to edit your save".

• iamacoyfish

iamacoyfish Space Spelunker

I've edited my savefile, and installed the two xnb files in Data & Animals, but it doesn't replace my current chickens. I replaced <type>Brown Chicken</type> with <type>White Silkie Chicken</type>.

Am I missing something? These are great edits, and sorry for all the questions!