Non-Ancient-Fruit Monocroppers Represent

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Seismothesaurus, Jul 20, 2017.

?

Do you monocrop on at least one save?

1. Yes, but only the most profitable stuff.

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. Yes, something other than the most profitable stuff. (Leave comments!)

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. No, because it's not profitable.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No for other reasons. (Leave comments!)

15 vote(s)
    68.2%
  1. Seismothesaurus

Seismothesaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I was just wondering, does anyone like to monocrop anything other than Ancient Fruit or Starfruit? Are your reasons practical, thematic, or just because you find the whole Ancient Fruit thing boring like I do?

For a lot of years, my forest farm outside the greenhouse was a straight up coffee plantation because I became dependent on the speed boost, particularly when mining/foraging. I still dedicate 2/3 of my Junimo area to it while it's in season (and then I move to eggplants, for which I have no rationale). I like the ploop sound of harvesting more than a thousand beans per harvest, and the sight of beans flying everywhere. Plus ~15k per harvest on beans alone was nice.

Northern coffee field, year 3 or 4:
    20170413172852_1.jpg

It feels a bit industrial and against the spirit of the game, but I do keep diversity in the greenhouse. And I only do this on one save.

Anyway, yeah, what do you like to monocrop and why?

[Edit: I realize that I accidentally some words in my poll and made myself sound stupid. It should say "No, because it's not profitable if you don't like Ancient Fruit" but I can't seem to edit it.]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    • Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

Nope, because only planting one crop is not only boring it also limits what you can do and give away as presents.
      I like to have one main crop I mass-grow every season (berriessss) and then have a few smaller patches of everything else.

EDIT: Oh and forgot to mention, my greenhouse is dedicated to ancient fruit and fruit trees :)

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

My greenhouse is fruit trees, hops and, in between the rows of hops, ancient fruit. My fields are 70% whatever the best seasonal fruit is, and the rest is a variety for cooking and gift-giving.
        I, too, love the plopplopplopplop sound of harvesting! :catwink: Ahhh.... blueberries!

ChaosAzeroth and Seismothesaurus like this.
        • Marco93

Marco93 Star Wrangler

No, mostly because I only have one save, and I'm trying to complete every achievement before starting a new farm. :D

Seismothesaurus likes this.
          • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

No monocropping in any recent save. I had a coffee plantation inside the greenhouse one save, but harvesting that /every/ /single/ /day/ drove me up the wall. My current main save has a variety of berries, grapes, and a small plot of Ancient Fruit (just one sprinkler's worth) for the winery.

I am just starting a new save and don't actually plan to grow anything much but flowers! (It's going to be a slime and snail ranch.)

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

I haven't yet, but I have tossed around the idea of doing a big coffee plantation or a vineyard at some point. Generally though I like to have a variety of things going at all times. Next farm will be a cherry orchard, but I've already told you about that one. :3

• Seismothesaurus

I always had some amount of other crops for artisan goods in the greenhouse. So it was more like 85% coffee, but with the entire outdoor area dedicated to it. At least coffee is a nearly universal like, but by the time I started doing that, everyone was at 10 hearts anyway. I use the 2cute greenhouse mod for all my kegging/canning needs and it's huge so the farm has become quite diverse in the last couple of years.

The Junimos take care of most of the coffee now. But yes, it was briefly quite brutal! There are a couple sprinklers' worth in the greenhouse still as well two rows of Ancient Fruit mainly because I wanted a room full of permanent crops.

A slime and snail ranch sounds cute! My newest save will be almost entirely orchard, flowers, and honey with a very restricted plot of crops for the CC and other uses.

Longevity's price balancing feature discourages too much monocropping, so I've cut back on it since I started using the mod. But I sure miss not having to do inventory management.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

I monocropped garlic in my latest character's first year. Ten garlic cloves and one container of oil (100g) yields Oil of Garlic (1000g). To get it you need Combat 6, which isn't too difficult to achieve.

Otherwise, I go the boring route of ancient fruit in the greenhouse. What can I say? It works.

• sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

On my previous save (my first), I would monocrop a random crop each season after year 1. I believe I monocropped the profit berries, red cabbage, artichokes, rhubarb, hops, coffee beans, fairy roses, sweet gem berries, and other things I don't remember.

Now on my new save, Variantia, as you can tell by the title, I don't do any monocrops.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Thanks! I'll just give a hint of my plans by saying the name of the place is Blook Acres.
                      Cookie.png

And this is the farmer. A ghost girl.

Ayriee, Marco93 and Seismothesaurus like this.
                      • ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

I love to focus on blueberries or cranberries for the sound as well as the cash.

Jerev, Seismothesaurus and Borodin like this.
                        • Jerev

Jerev Pangalactic Porcupine

I always plant one cheaper crop like blueberries for my preserves jars and one expensive crop like melons for my kegs. A little farming space cycles through all crops of the season so that my stockpile for cooking and gifting is always filled with enough of everything. Near my beehives I also plant a lot of flowers. Some aren't harvested for the honey but most are stored for later gifting.
                          That said my greenhouse is one third the flowers my spouse loves, one third something I need or want but it isn't the right season and the last third is strawberries. The strawberries are used to balance out shortages at refilling the jars or kegs in winter.

Edit: I only once used 5-10 ancient fruit plants to keep my cellar full of ancient fruit wine. Otherwise I don't use ancient fruits or sweet gem berries because I find it boring that they take so long and need so little attention ;)

• Seismothesaurus

There's something so satisfying about having that section for spouse gifting. You can just imagine how much they would appreciate you growing something just for them. Or that's how I feel, anyway, because I have some emotional attachment to pixels. :rofl:

And, agreed!

Marco93, LuthienNightwolf and Jerev like this.
                            • Jerev

Jerev Pangalactic Porcupine

They are among my favourites too. After they got nerfed I only sell them as jelly though. I just love all crops with multiple harvests that aren't blocking the way.

You know that they love it because they get a loved gift nearly every day and are as happy about it as they were the first time.
                              I just have to stop myself from stockpiling too many flowers. One time I had nearly 300 sunflowers for Haley before I thought I had enough X3

ChaosAzeroth and Seismothesaurus like this.
                              • Alphapharmer

Alphapharmer Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yeah I monocrop cauliflower in spring, starfruit in summer, and pumpkins in fall. 800 tiles worth and I turn it all into wine or fruit. I like to get up to 20 million or so, then I start delving into the community center, friendship, fishing, and the other parts of the game

Seismothesaurus and ChaosAzeroth like this.
                                • Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

Well, while waiting for my greenhouse Ancient fruit to mature and provide more seeds for me... I did obsessively cover 80% of my farm with Blueberries. Mind you, it was only during Summer. But other than that I didn't have many large crops I chose to do instead of Ancient Fruit. :3

• Charity322

Charity322 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Nope. Just one crop is too boring.

• BouncingCactus

BouncingCactus Big Damn Hero

Monocrop Ancient Fruit in the greenhouse. My girlfriend bought me Stardew Valley and told me I had to make LOTS of pumpkins. Our first game we played together was Terraria during the season pumpkins spawn, so she crafted everything that could be crafted with pumpkins. She even put her pumpkin armor in her cosmetic slot so that she kept running around with a giant pumpkin around her body regardless of which armor she was actually wearing. So it became sort of a private joke/reference/thing for us. So naturally, I monocrop pumpkins during autumn on every save (outside of the few things I need to grow to be able to cook every item once and ship every plant at least once). Also monocrop strawberries during summer on my main save.

Seismothesaurus and ChaosAzeroth like this.
                                      • Trevs

Trevs Astral Cartographer

I have ethical problems with farming monocultures in real life, so the idea of monocropping hasn't crossed my mind. I might consider it just for blueberries. It seems the plop sound they make is quite popular.

• Seismothesaurus

I became quite partial to the fish mask paired with a wizardy robe, lol.
                                          I do as well. It's always in the back of my mind despite this being just a game.