1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

No-Story Mode

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tochno, May 7, 2019.

?

Do you think that a no-story mode should be added to Starbound?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    59.3%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    40.7%
  1. Tochno

Tochno Intergalactic Tourist

davo_ has sort of made a video about this topic:

I really hate the story of Starbound. It's a 2D sandbox game and it doesn't need a story. I'm tired of using loads of mods.
    The game concept is amazing. I just hate the story.
    A mode without a story meaning: no outpost, no esther bright, no terrene protectorate. just spaceexploring or something.

I'm sorry that this is a very short thread or whatever.
    anyhow...
    Will there ever be a No-Story Mode to Starbound?

2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

You're not forced to play the story at all. The intro mission can be skipped at character creation and only the EMF is necessary to restore the ship's functionality which also can be bypassed with simply "/spawnitem shipT3" to get an item that allows you to instantly upgrade the ship to Tier 3 (everything repaired). You can explore at free will, go wherever you want to go and build wherever you want to build so basically this is what you want. The main quest can be untracked in the questlog too. The only thing you will be locked out from in this state is the vaults and the terraformer as well as the terra-forge because this is post-ruin content (can be bypassed too by entering a few commands). Removing the outpost from a game-mode will automatically lock vaults entirely since there is no chance of getting a key.
    And using mods to modify the game to your taste is also possible. You could even make your own mod and remove the story entirely without getting locked out from the vault.

So imo there is no need for an extra gamemode.

3. Bri2zy

Bri2zy Void-Bound Voyager

The thing is, the game doesn't have enough content to be played without the story, the outpost and its content in my opinion. I kind of like it, but I'm not against change, especially regarding rewards, beating a mission/boss doesn't make me feel rewarded, it just offer the rest of the story and eventually a drop, but I never ran into a boss drop in my first run. Some missions parts could be reworked so its difficulty increases when you're in multiplayer, this kind of things.

4. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

The Suit made a mod that enables you to skip the story

The | Suit likes this.
  5. Catherine Franz

Catherine Franz Spaceman Spiff

Hehe there's a reason it's called "Sandbox" 'coz it can be anything we want...not just because someone hates it means they have to remove it for these players...we all have our own type of fun ye know? = w=

6. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

I actually made a mod a while back to remove story for those who didn't want go through the trouble of playing it to progress.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=842256307

Your ship is unlocked to the point where you can travel to anywhere in the galaxy - but while still letting you upgrade it through the outpost. You will also be able to unlock all the abilities through the outpost by purchasing them directly.

7. Starbound/nerd=pro

Starbound/nerd=pro Space Hobo

Eeeeeeeeeeeeexactly