1. Welcome to the Wargroove support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://wargroove.com/support

Bug/Issue No sound on start

Discussion in 'Support' started by MEESTERBANANA, Feb 2, 2019.

1. MEESTERBANANA

MEESTERBANANA Space Hobo

I just bought Wargroove for PC on Steam a few minutes ago, and on startup the game produced no sound whatsoever. I know that in the past my computer has had sound issues with Unity games but after a bit of looking it seems like Wargroove is running on a custom engine. If that's incorrect please correct me. I'd love to play this game, but I do want my sound to work before I do. I'd appreciate any help that I can get.

• Shubeans

Shubeans QA Wizard Chucklefish

Heya! I'm going to do the annoying trouble shooting first I'm afraid.
      Do you have an audio plugged in, and is your pc recognising it, you may have to change the output on the sound manager.
      Does the game have audio turned up? (this is silly, I know, it should be at default, but can't rule it out)
      Is it audio throughout the whole game, or just the intro movie?
      What audio set up are you using?

Thank you!

• MEESTERBANANA

MEESTERBANANA Space Hobo

I do have audio plugged in, sound is only not working for Wargroove at the moment. After checking my Volume Mixer it looks like Wargrooves itself just isn't making noise or my Computer is not recognizing it. The game audio itself is at max on all settings just so that if it peeps up i can hear it, cause no sound at all is playing. I've played through the first campaign mission to see if it fixes anything, however sound still doesn't work. I also have actually gotten stuck inside the cut scene that occurs when Sigrid meets the King, immediately as it fades to white.

My current audio setup is using Realtek Audio Drivers

• Shubeans

Could you try running with the launching with ' --audio-device=2 ' as a parameter in 'set launch options' of Wargroove steam properties.
          It might not work, but also it might :/

• Middykins_

Middykins_ Space Hobo

Sorry to butt in like this but I am having the same problem and have everything set up as MEESTERBANANA has.
            This picture down below is my driver.
            upload_2019-2-4_22-17-45.png

I tried launching it using the given parameter and it did nothing for me.
            Hopefully you find a way to fix this very soon, feels a bit quiet right now :)

• MEESTERBANANA

MEESTERBANANA Space Hobo

I've already tried the parameter fix, unfortunately it's done nothing. Is there any place I can check for Sound Initialization? With Unity games such as Rimworld my computer displays in an error log when sound doesn't work: "f-mod failed to initialize to output device" when I look in the right place. Is there possibly a similar place I can look to and upload the error log?

If not, is this possibly the same error that is happening with Wargroove?

• Shubeans

A log will appear in AppData/Roaming/Chucklefish/Wargroove
                Sending that over would be a big help...hopefully!

• Middykins_

Middykins_ Space Hobo

This here is my log... Personally I see nothing that would be wrong in it...

Attached Files:

• log.txt
                      File size:
                      1.3 KB
                      Views:
                  • Shubeans

Audio devices available:
                    0: [Default]
                    1: Speakers (Steam Streaming Speakers)
                    2: Speakers (Steam Streaming Microphone)
                    3: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

What are the steam Streaming ones, if you disable those does it make a difference?

• Middykins_

Middykins_ Space Hobo

I disabled both of them and tried running it normally, and with OpenGL both with and without ' --audio-device=2 ' as a parameter in 'set launch options' and I still no sound.

• MEESTERBANANA

MEESTERBANANA Space Hobo

Here's my log. The Audio that I'm trying to use is 2: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio), which is my headphones (despite saying speakers), 1 is my second monitor's built in speakers

Attached Files:

• log.txt
                            File size:
                            1.3 KB
                            Views:
                        • dreamaurua

dreamaurua Void-Bound Voyager

I also have no sound whatsoever, have tried all above methods.
                          All other games have sound, including star bound..

I really want to play this game, but i am afraid of going over my time limit to refund just trying to fix the audio bug :(

• Shubeans

What audio devices are you using?
                            I've received a report that Bluetooth isn't working, and is causing a few audio issues as well

• Middykins_

Middykins_ Space Hobo

I tried disabling Bluetooth and it did nothing for me so that's not my problem atleast... (Let's blame Realtek)

• MEESTERBANANA

MEESTERBANANA Space Hobo

I don't use a bluetooth Headset, mine is wired into my computer, switching audio to come out of my Monitor's speakers does nothing as well so I do think it might just be a problem with Realtek.

• Shubeans

I'm afraid to say that I have no idea what is causing this issue.
                                  I've passed all of your logs, and all of the information along to the programming team and hopefully we can find out whats causing it, and if we can find a fix, at least have something to be able to give people as a workaround.

One of our programmers headphones comes with two audio devices, one headphone device and one handsfree device. If any application uses the handsfree device the audio is very messed up with a lot of crackling, and it also captures the mic on the headset. We think steam/windows is associating the wrong headset to the application. I'm wondering if that is also whats happening with the lack of audio. Although I have no idea on how to even change that.

I'm going to do the annoying troubleshoot question of:
                                  Are all your drivers up to date?

• Middykins_

Middykins_ Space Hobo

All of my drivers are up to date :/

Noticed that my drivers was 6 months out of date so I gotta thank you for reminding me to update them :3

• Middykins_

Middykins_ Space Hobo

Also I believe that this must be a steam problem. I recently bought a new game and noticed the same problem there... It only affects recently downloaded games. All games I have had downloaded for longer are fine.

EDIT: Tried downloading an old game and mine and the audio worked there. So perhaps it only affects recently bought games?

EDIT 2: Tried downloading and playing one other of my new games and it's audio worked. 2 other games from the same series (Bought them at the same time) has the audio problem...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
                                      • Shubeans

So it does sound (haha) like steam or windows is assigning the wrong audio output automatically and then messing up. Which is weird, and a terrible, terrible feature.
                                        I'm going to google, and see what I can find out. Please keep my updated if you find a fix on your end!

What happens if you plug in a different audio output?

* Update!
                                        There are looooads of people having this issue with steam apparently, and it's caused by a Windows update. Yay!
                                        A couple of fixes I've seen:
                                        - If using asus brand software, just close or turn Sonic Studio 3 off. It works for me for all the games
                                        - All I did is move my steam game files to a different folder then I reinstalled steam then put back the game files and relaunched steam
                                        - If on Alienware: I tried closing the "Alienware Command Center" bloat and that completely fixed the problem.
                                        - I have laptop MSI. I deleted similar program for this producent - Nahimic and it resolved problem.
                                        - This fixed it for me, though: reset Windows (it does a re-install, but the setting is to 'reset'). It doesn't mess with your files but you have to reinstall apps and your games. Fixed everything.
                                        - Make sure no webcams are interfering
                                        - Run sfc /scannow in the command prompt and make sure nothing is corrupted.

Please let me know if any of those work?!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
                                        • Middykins_

Middykins_ Space Hobo

I deleted Nahimic and it works perfectly!

Shubeans likes this.