No packaging of your mods?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by sankto, Dec 8, 2013.

1. sankto

sankto Pangalactic Porcupine

Hey, sorry if it has been mentioned before.

I'm really liking the ease with which we can modify the game, but there's one thing that bug me. The fact that we *must* override the default assets of the game, with no possibilities to keep it intact upon an update of starbound. Not only that, but it's hard to uninstall a modification if you don't remember the default values.

Minecraft and terraria has zero (official) modding support, so they can be forgiven for obviously not having a mod loader, but SB went to great length with it's mod support, so i think it would be nice if there was an official, unified way to automate installation / uninstallation of mods.

Autzome likes this.
  2. sankto

sankto Pangalactic Porcupine

Bumping thread (only one time, no worries)

3. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

That's only because you're editing the core files of the game. The API allows modders to create their own files in their own folder and the game will scan all files upon startup, which is a really smart system.

Although there is indeed no general way to install/deinstall mods, as it stands, it's as easy as copying a single folder into the assets folder and (this is the cheapest/quickest way) adding a few lines to the player.config. If you want to delete or install mods, just delete the mod folder from your assets folder and you're golden. It's all about how you build your mods and having them standalone, instead of relying on the core files.

sankto likes this.
  4. Inconspicuous

Inconspicuous Scruffy Nerf-Herder

sankto and Herdo like this.