1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Nightly question about food...

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by SelahJimm, May 1, 2016.

1. SelahJimm

SelahJimm Void-Bound Voyager

So I'm loving the fixes to hunger in the survival mode, however I'm curious why food stacks were removed? I don't mind so much that finished dishes don't stack, but the ingredients quickly fill up your inventory to the point of being overwhelming.

Wouldn't it be possible to make ingredients stack but cooked or refined dishes (mashed potatoes, et c.) individual items?

FloomRide and IvoryOwl like this.
  2. IvoryOwl

IvoryOwl Pangalactic Porcupine

I believe this is more akin to a suggestion than discussion thread... but I agree.

3. Khym Chanur

Khym Chanur Big Damn Hero

Food rots over time, so each food items has it's own countdown-to-becoming-rotten timer. If one item's countdown timer is 10:00 and another's is 9:59 then the two of them can't stack because of the different timers.

4. IvoryOwl

Are you talking about actual cooked food, ingredients or both? I guess I understand why some ingredients would rot, specially considering most of them are fruit-based. We all know without some refrigeration to conserve them they don't usually last long. Maybe we're better off just picking up what we need until we get a fridge? I think this makes farming a bit more "interesting" actually - You have to invest your time into taking care of your crops for food now, instead of harvesting hundreds and completely ignoring your fields for days.
    Annoying for some, sure, but good for me because I wanted to make a farmer/chef/trader character anyway!

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  5. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

That is interesting, I might have to keep all of the water I had collected and have a farm on my ship instead of simply chests containing everything in my kitchens. Kinda a shame they don't stack though. I normally destroy every plant that I see while exploring on a planet surface just collecting ingredients preparing myself to make every possible dish and unlocking all of the recipes. At least seeds still stack though right? In a way seeds are the same thing just with an extra step of actually growing it.

6. FloomRide

FloomRide Cosmic Narwhal

While the rotting feature is a welcome change, at least in my eyes, the inability to stack food makes it very undesirable. Large-scale farming will be incredibly difficult now that each individual plant takes up a whole inventory space. While fridges can keep foods from rotting, it simply wouldn't be worth it to store ingredients in fridges due to the amount of space they take up. Farming for pixels, which has been a favorite tactic of mine for buying expensive vehicles, will be near-impossible now that each plant needs to be sold individually.

Kittani likes this.
  7. IvoryOwl

In that case then fresh, high-quality ingredients should be worth more to compensate. I'm not sure if you can get different qualities from an harvest but I think it should be a thing, a normal product vs a high quality one vs mediocre one.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  8. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Is the rotting / no-stack for ALL difficulties now, or ONLY survival?

How does that work? If I can't farm pixels in casual anymore because of something having to do with survival, I think I'm going to be rather turned off by that.

Sh4dowWalker96 and gameboytj like this.
  9. Zerukoba

Based on what I had seen online (as I personally don't play on nightly) survival is replacing the "normal" mode where you would drop items items on death. The easiest mode still being casual where you just lose pixels. Survival will have the added hunger mechanic while still having drop items on death. So assuming you normally play on casual then food doesn't really effect you anymore than what it does now on the current build. Pretty sure though regardless of your mode the food items still won't stack so it does effect everybody in that sense, like I think the new rotting system is hard coded so player settings can't effect it or else online servers would be a mess. If lucky someone might add a mod to have food no longer rot and/or stack.

10. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I would hope so, because that would be a huge annoying hassle if people on casual could no longer use food to get pixels because of the non-stacking issue because of a change made in "Normal" or "Survival" or whatever you wanna call it.

Hopefully at the very least someone will make a fruit that acts like the old fruit did that we can instead farm for pixels or something, who knows. Meh.

Really wish they wouldn't make game-wide sweeping changes because of optional challenge modes.

Sh4dowWalker96 likes this.
  11. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Don't you think it would be better if foods stacked, and just have each part of the stack hold its own expiration date? Foods that are sooner to expire would be the ones "on top", meaning they'd be the ones used first from from the stack.
    Then, once something does expire, it is separated from the stack and added to another. Namely, expired food.

12. Zerukoba

I don't think that would really work out that well. If you mean something like a stack of 10 pineapples being like:
    Pineapple 1 - Expires in 5 seconds
    Pineapple 2 - Expires in 6 seconds
    Pineapple 3 - Expires in 7 seconds
    and so on...
    I'm not sure how much a single slot of your inventory can hold when it comes to a long string/array of data. It also cause the issue of what would happen to the food item when it rots but your inventory is already full which may be the main reason for the change now that I think about it. Then again I'm not a programmer so your suggestion might be completely legit.

13. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I'd think that if it were to be that easy, then they would just keep the stacking function. They are probably de-stacking it because it would be too unwieldly/cumbersome to code and/or would take too much data for a single item slot I'd think.

14. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

That's simple - it would drop on the floor. Most items are already handled this way.

15. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Its rather simple realy.

If you can carry 99+ stacks of food (or edible ingredients) then the hunger mechanic becomes a rather meaningless "click once in a while eggtimer" (the very reason they removed hunger in the past).

But with you being unable to stack food and the food rotting, it instead becomes a mechanic more focused on food management thanks to limited inventory space.

Examples: Should i bring this much food or this much food when i go spellunking? Bringing this much will have me set on food but limit the amount of loot i can bring back. Bringing this much will risk me starving but il get alot more loot. Etc.

It also has the added bonus of makeing higher quality food more attractive (if you only have a few spots you might as well bring better food alternatives).

16. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Frankly, I just would prefer it if whether food is unstackable and rotting were a world-specific config option, where you could just disable it and have it stack as normal.

17. Zerukoba

That actually made a ton of sense. I was never a fan of Minecraft but when I did play hunger was more of an annoyance than anything, I just make a carrot farm and keep a stack of carrots in my toolbar at all times. Once I get like half hunger I will eat a carrot and just keep on going as if nothing happened. Beside for the first few minutes of making the farm and the single slot of my toolbar being permanently used, you can safely say hunger didn't make a bit of difference on Minecraft. I guess Starbound devs are simply avoiding the same outcome.

18. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

But you see the problem with that... not everybody plays on Survival/Normal and a lot of Casual people, me included, would farm produce for pixels because of the ridiculous nerfs to ore refining that have been made.

So, without mods, we're not going to be able to do that anymore, and I don't really know of any decent way to get the tens of thousands of pixels stuff like vehicles cost.

So it's kinda stupid to remove one of the few money-making methods from Casual players because of a change in Survival/Normal that we don't even care about. And I thought one of the big things behind farming was "You can do this for money!"? Well... nope, no doing that for money anymore, because you can only fit one item per slot, lol. You know how long that would take to grab and sell one garden worth of produce if you had to sell it one by one for 20-30 pixels per crop? Mass production was the only way to make money and it was the only reason it was ever viable in the first place.

Unless you really jack up the sale price on these to 500+ per, it isn't going to be worth it anymore to use farming to get pixels. So, not only do we have no decent ways to make money anymore, but we also lose a chunk of content (because Casuals will not care about food now since it doesn't stack anymore, making it more hassle than it is worth) in the process.

Sh4dowWalker96 likes this.
  19. Zerukoba

If it is worth anything, last time I saw the settings for the different game modes you will no longer lose pixels on death while playing on casual. So unless they change it before 1.0 there will be no way for your pixels to decrease unless you buy something or use them yourself.

20. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

While that is appreciated and good... it would still take absolutely forever to come up with any reasonable amounts of pixels... and by reasonable, I mean, the kind of pixels they want for stuff like vehicles. I don't think I feel like mining thousands of ores. If anything I'll just find a pixel plant mod and just do that instead.

But to be honest, one shouldn't have to mod the game just to make it "not broken" anymore.