1. Note: Nightly builds are not officially supported and things that appear broken might actually just be broken with no way of fixing it, but community members may still be willing to assist you with common problems.

Notice Nightly builds not launching? Check here first!

Discussion in 'Nightly Builds Support' started by Dunto, Jul 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ah, I get what you're saying! You can use something like pastebin and drop the link here.

2. flog22

flog22 Void-Bound Voyager

This made the game launch correctly on nightly, but when it finishes loading, I get this. (Attached file)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  3. Zeoinx

Zeoinx Phantasmal Quasar

Im having this problem every time . I deleted the config didnt help

4. Blake81

Blake81 Cosmic Narwhal

@Zeoinx

I've seen that one before. It's caused by an issue with the resolution. Try opening starbound.config with notepad and changing it's windowed and fullscreen resolutions (I think they're both the same, but I'm not sure now) to 800x600 and try running it again. If it opens OK, then just use the in-game options to give it whatever resolution you want.

Hope that helps.

5. Aquinex

Aquinex Void-Bound Voyager

When I try to load a character from yesterday I get the following error in the log:

Error: UniverseServer: error during worker pooled job: (VariantException) No such key in Variant::get("spaceLevel")

Below is a section of the log preceding the crash.

6. Archer

Archer Spaceman Spiff

I can confirm this with my character from yesterday, getting the same error.

Making a new character gets rid of said error, so I guess it's time for a new one :p

7. Blake81

Blake81 Cosmic Narwhal

Guys, I think I've just figured out why the ''Neverending FTL Jump Bug'' happens; it's a problem with the generation of the target planet's .world files.

I was watching my Universe folder while I jumped to an unexplored planet and saw how the .world file spawned and quickly grew to a 300-ish KBs when I FLT'd successfully to a planet. And, when I FTL'd again, to another unexplored planet, I noticed that the file that had spawned was 0KBs, and never grew up. In this case, I got stuck on the jump....

I tried the jump 3 more times more, just to be sure, all 3 times got stuck on the travel sequence. Then, I deleted that .world file, and the next time I tried to travel to the same planet, the file spawned with 7KBs, and quickly grew up to 342KBs. This time, I was able to land. Which led me to the following hypothesis:

This bug is caused by an error in the planet.world file generation; perhaps the game gets stuck on a loop or has a memory leak. And the reason this bug is persistent (if it gets stuck the first time, it ALWAYS get stuck after all when heading for that planet) is because the broken .world file is still there.

So, the best way to solve this issue is just to close the game, delete the file and try again. There are times when it generates wrong twice, but I've never seen it happen more than twice. Hope this helps all those who are getting stuck on the FTL on regular basis.

8. Zeoinx

Zeoinx Phantasmal Quasar

Still no go on loading nightly. Starbound seems to hate me :<

9. You should back up and clear out your "player" and "universe" folders.

10. Eyla

Eyla Aquatic Astronaut

Got the same issue, and the same thing worked for me. Sad to see my old saves go, but not much was happening in them anyway!

11. R0B0D3ATH

R0B0D3ATH Void-Bound Voyager

i seach starbound.config and it pops up i click on it and it say application not found

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  12. When you click on it, you're trying to open the file and your computer doesn't know what program to use to open a ".log" file. You should right click on the search results, hit properties, then click the "Open File Location" button. Once there, delete the file.

13. Samsa

Samsa Void-Bound Voyager

The easiest way to get to the starbound.config file is by right-clicking Starbound in Steam, going to Properties, then clicking over to the Local Files tab and clicking "Browse Local Files". This takes you directly to the folder with starbound.config in it.

14. MaxDamageNova7

MaxDamageNova7 Space Hobo

I have a similar message when I select a character in the start menu:
    (VariantException) No such key in Variant::get("prerequisteQuestlds")
    a lot of numbers starbound_opengl,exe
    new numbers: starbound_opengl,exe
    this repeats 10 times....

2ed message plain:
    Runtime error!
    ( steam folder location )
    runtime terminated

I shortened it down... if I left out something important please tell me!
    I want to see the nova kid's ship :(

15. Found this one last night, you need to go into your universe folder and remove the "playerQuests.db" and "questPlanetSeeds.db" files.

16. Check the main post, I updated the guides this morning with the fix for that. Also when posting on this forum, it's best to also give a description of what caused the error.

EDIT: Also the two posts above it explain the fix for this. Please read the thread before posting.

17. CamperDudeKilla

CamperDudeKilla Void-Bound Voyager

UM can someone help me when i try to open starbound nightly i get an error so i deleted my config and then it goes a little into the game then when it says loading and the penguin it just crashes and say runtime error then it says im asking it to termnate in a strage way

18. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

You get any other error boxes besides the one about the runtime? if not can you tell us what your starbound.log in the starbound directory says?

19. Eyla

Eyla Aquatic Astronaut

I got a similar error while trying to load a character I started a few nights ago. I attempted the fixes in the quoted issues, but it didn't help.

(VariantException) No such key in Variant::get("regionData")
    VariantException::VariantException(string)
    Variant::get(String)
    WorldTemplate::WorldTemplate(Variant)
    WorldServer::readMetadata()
    WorldServer::WorldServer(shared_ptr<IODevice>, shared_ptr<Clock>)
    UniverseServer::queueConnection(shared_ptr<NetSocket>, String)::{lambda()#1}::eek:perator()()
    function<void ()>::eek:perator()()
    _Function_handler<void (), WorkerPool::addWork(function<void ()>)::{lambda()#1}>::(_Any_data)
    function<void ()>::eek:perator()()
    WorkerPool::WorkerThread::run()
    ThreadImpl::runThread(void*)
    BaseThreadInitThunk
    RtlInitializeExceptionChain
    RtlInitializeExceptionChain

It seems like I'll need to find whatever file relates to "regionData" but there doesn't seem to be such a file in the universe or player folders. Any ideas?

20. Eyla

Eyla Aquatic Astronaut

Wait. Looked in the wrong file. This was the error:

Error: Fatal Exception Caught: (VariantException) Cannot convert from null to string
    VariantException::VariantException(string)
    Variant::toString()
    CelestialGraphics::worldHorizonImages(CelestialParameters)
    Sky::worldHorizon(Vector<float, 2u>)
    EnvironmentPainter::renderPlanetHorizon(float, Vector<float, 2u>, Renderer, Sky)
    WorldPainter::render(shared_ptr<CelestialDatabase>)
    ClientApplication::render()
    StarApplicationBase::run()
    _SDL_main
    _console_main

-- As a point of note, there was also no planet on the main menu screen when I opened up the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.