1. Note: Nightly builds are not officially supported and things that appear broken might actually just be broken with no way of fixing it, but community members may still be willing to assist you with common problems.

Closed Nightly Build

Discussion in 'Nightly Builds Support' started by denafox, Mar 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Why would they outright remove directX now only to bring it back later? They removed it AFTER their first round of optimization. It is straight up gone, not just disabled, but completely removed. Removed from the launcher, removed exes, removed distributables. Everything pertaining to it is gone is gone. That is bass ackwards logic.

And since its been gone for a bit already, and this is the only thread regarding it, I doubt it will have that big of an impact.

2. and234

and234 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Maybe they're getting support for Vulkan, who knows...

3. Sean Mirrsen

Sean Mirrsen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It's been gone in the nightly. There's all of eight people posting in this subforum I think. :p
    And "outright removing" it is a matter of setting a flag in their automatic compiler. I have here the repository of a game called Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, and dependencies notwithstanding I can set it to compile some eighteen different ways with just a few keystrokes. Temporarily removing some variant builds from a batch is easy, and is a godsend if you want to test some changes that don't touch the graphics output, the scripting system, or localizations, because it cuts down on compile time and lets you see if the stuff you change works on its own. That way when you add the variants back in and see problems, you know that the problems are from the interaction with the variants and not in the base code.

Seriously, by your logic the Starbound Launcher is going to remain a featureless grey window forever now because "they removed" the splashscreen graphics and newsfeed. That is "bass-ackwards" logic. Just because there's no point maintaining it now does not mean it's gone forever.

4. and234

@Sean Mirrsen: who do you talking to? In my defense of what i wrote earlier, i'm not dumb or anything and i understand his Problem but the other guy is right. You can't support 10 Year old stuff these days anymore because the most people upgrade their Systems more than once in ten Years and want to play with better Graphics and latest Engines and that stuff

Solzucht likes this.
  5. Sean Mirrsen

"10 year old stuff". I have a laptop around here somewhere that's been made in 2006. I'm fairly certain it's still powerful enough to run Starbound. And it's not a question of supporting old stuff. It's a question of supporting DirectX, which, I believe, is still "current tech". Starbound will not benefit from hardware tessellation and other fancy GPU functions in DirectX 10+, so to avoid doing extra effort the most it needs is DirectX9. DirectX9 is broadly sufficient for any good game, unless you crave photorealistic graphics (usually instead of, rather than to go with, deep and engaging gameplay). Intel's 945g supports DirectX9. Therefore, Starbound can run on a 945g.

Let's look at it all in conjunction. Starbound is set to be released on XBox One. XBox One does not support OpenGL. Therefore Starbound must maintain a DirectX-compatible branch. Starbound already has a DirectX-compatible branch, therefore it only needs maintenance. Starbound does not need better DirectX than DX9. It is more work overall to make the game use DirectX11, and XBox does not care. Given all of the above, there is no reason for Starbound to permanently drop its existing DirectX support, and no reason to have higher requirements than what "10-year-old hardware" can run in form of DirectX9.
    Net result: no extra work, potential mild increase in playerbase from people like @denafox . I believe that's a point.

6. lazarus78

They would have had to specifically change the launcher to remove the other launch options. This has been demonstrated before when some past updates were missing exes for different versions at one point or another.

7. and234

Everyone got his point of view of it. I think an PC that is older than 5 Years is outdated except for office and that kind of things.
    So i'm upgrading my PC every 4 - 5 Years.

8. Sean Mirrsen

The best game in the Elder Scrolls series is Morrowind. Morrowind came out in 2002 (~14 years ago at time of posting). Best space piracy simulator game is Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos, released in 2001. People need to stop conflating system requirements with game quality. Good games don't need to have high requirements to be good. That's why OpenXCom and Xenonauts are still in direct competition to XCOM2, and why Terraria and Starbound are as good as they are despite having visuals you could probably see on a Nintendo DS. It's not wrong to upgrade, but it's not wrong not to, either. We're past the point of needing more power for daily uses, I think. Games don't use that power for gameplay anymore, and graphics can only get so realistic before it's pointless.

(In other news: XCOM2 actually runs on a system with a 1.7GHz dualcore CPU, and an Intel HD 4000. If you actually look into how many games a typical tablet PC can run nowadays, you might be surprised.)

Solzucht likes this.
  9. and234

Woooo.... Wait a second. You missing the Point. I never said that the newest Games are good. Sure GTA and The Witcher were great games but if you are in to moding you're Game like GTA you need a good PC.
    I actually don't like XCOM and comparable Games. I play Starbound because it's fun and not crapy like Terraria and i like the whole Spaceship stuff. Good thing about Starbound is that you can mod everything in it
    and that is mostly why i spend my time "Gaming". Modding a Game makes it interresting for me and lots of others. If you can't mod a Game its not good enough. Why do you think people like Skyrim or Morrowind or even GTA?

Look, you're shure a nice guy but i don't want tho talk it out here. I got my side of view and you are seeing it from another perspective so i'm done with it. Get over it

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  10. denafox

denafox Subatomic Cosmonaut

Please, return directx!

11. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Not really sure why this is discussion is going on for so long.

But the Jist of it is - Direct X will most likely make a come back later on and they more then likely just one want to focus on one build at a time. Since OpenGL is supported by multiple platforms it is likely the first one getting the optimization treatment.

Nightly was never meant to be stable or functioning for everybody, which is why it is called Nightly.
    If you want to play the game stick to stable and wait for things to be updated.

12. denafox

, return directx
    --- Post updated ---
    They not return directx!

13. lazarus78

They will have to do directX anyway since that is the only option for the XBox, but whether or not they will return it for PC is a different matter. Since the way you have to code for XBox vs PC differs, it is not as simple as just re-introducing the DX version.

14. denafox

The must return my money! Maybe i buy starbound only directx version, and game works fine. Why they delete? хуесосы ебанные

15. lazarus78

No, they really don't. Early access is not a finished product, so buying into it is a risk. Development can go any way, including system requirements drastically changing.

I don't know why they would remove the direct X version, perhaps to reduce the number of versions they would need to support, maybe they plan on re-adding it later, we don't know.

16. denafox

Nothing so that they promised to optimize the game even for the weakest of the machine? And they first DirektH added, then removed, and now will be added again? Why was it removed? Why can not they answer my question on the forum? And why they do not return the money? I gave the money because they wrote that this version has been added, so that.

17. lazarus78

"Optimization" can mean anything really. It could be argued that the DX version was hindering their ability to optimize and that the OpenGL is the end result of their optimization, because overall it does indeed work better across the board.

They aren't answering you directly likely they don't know you even asked. They are human too, not omnipotent beings.

Why was it removed? Well it could be to streamline work. Only needing to support one version instead of 2. I am going to assume you are ignorant to general programming so I don't think you would really understand if I went into more detail.

They won't return your money because they never made any promise there would be a DX version, nor did they break a promise, plus, you are likely out side of their return period. If not, contact them or steam for a refund.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.