WIP New Wood & Carpet Flooring

Discussion in 'Mods' started by ecostarmom, Feb 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ecostarmom

ecostarmom Aquatic Astronaut

Hello! I decided to try my hand at retexturing my floors & (gratefully) read several threads on .xnb mods (thanks!)...downloaded a couple apps...and here we go. I played around on GIMP today, and ended up using a preset pattern, which I modified in as many ways as I could think of.

I'd like to see which ones are favorites & narrow it down to 1 or 2 rows. Then I plan to do one for wood & cork, and get favs for that to narrow down, etc until I have a compilation of favorite new floors. But if your favorite isn't on the compilation, you'll still have the full variety here, too.

I also plan to work on the wallpapers. My need for matching things! I will probably wait until I've got the favorite flooring compilation to do the wallpapers.

After I opened my game, I noticed that they aren't showing in my catalogs or on my spouse floor, so I will figure that out next...I wasn't going to worry about the town & leave those floors original, but I'm not sure if I can once I change the catalog.

So, I will also want to keep a few of the original floors on the compilation...

Well, I'm happy for your feedback & suggestions! J1_walls_and_floors.png

For the poll, #1-5 start far Left, top to bottom, in columns. 2nd column, 6-10...last column (8th) 36-40.
    I will have to conduct the poll manually because there were only 10 slots...so just post in the thread, thanks!
    Feel free to suggest names!

Which are your 3 favorite new carpets?
    #1 brown
    #2 fire
    #4 roses
    #6 forest green
    #8 growing green
    #9 lavender
    #10 blue-green
    #11 seashore
    #13 so blue
    #14 original blur
    #15 original
    #16 smoldering
    #17 chocolate
    #18 pink
    #19 green grass
    #20 bold blue
    #21 white
    #23 pastel
    #26 gray
    #27 gold
    #30 smoke
    #31 velvet
    #32 water
    #33 midnight
    #35 oak
    #36 purple
    #37 teal
    #38 slate
    #39 lava
    #40 brick

If you want to give it a try, here is my .xnb
    J

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
      Androxilogin, Yoseiri and malcheese like this.
    • Coolwyngs

Coolwyngs Giant Laser Beams

I like the #7 one, #11 seashore one, and the #23 pastel ones the best. All they need are walls to go with them.

• ecostarmom

I've got a screenshot of an upgraded house with some combos of carpet tile & original wallpapers...
        upstairs #21 & 28, downstairs #2 & 33.
        Would love to see yours!
        J

J Carpet Tiles.PNG

• malcheese

malcheese Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i love the design, but i think it would be really cool if u can make it look like connected to the others :laugh: but still, i loved it :up: thanks anyway

• ecostarmom

I understand...it is tiled. But I doubt I could link them up using that pattern. As I become more proficient, I may be able to create several smaller tiles to make up a block & then they might flow...but I can wait until I have some favorites to work with.
            I've already started working on the wood & cork...& I will also be testing out each pattern. It's difficult as just one person, though; I found 'fire' much too bold, but others might like that. My tendency is to mute & subdue them all!

• ecostarmom

Sure helps to see it in tiled form...I'm not happy with #1 (2nd picture), so will try to eliminate that black hook. Here are the browns, reds & greens (I've coded each file with the actual code of the floor followed by the code of the wallpaper used, though if you are manually changing any codes in your save file, they would be reversed).

Chocolate11 with 26.PNG #17 Brown0 with 59.PNG #1 Oak38 with 41.PNG #35 Gold13 with 28.PNG #27
              Fire8 with 70.PNG #2 Lava31 with 25.PNG #39 Brick29 with 7.PNG #40 Red3 with 60.PNG #16
              Forest1 with 31.PNG #6 Green27 with 79.PNG #19 Green16 with 54.PNG #3 Green17 with 53.PNG #8

• ecostarmom

More full floors...I was most surprised by how many wallpapers went well with the original colors.

orig10 with 78.PNG #12 orig26 with 77.PNG #14 orig34 with 27.PNG #15
                Teal15 with 95.PNG #37 BG33 with 2.PNG #10 BG35 with 73.PNG 20
                Blue23 with 64.PNG #38 Blue14 with 107.PNG #32 Blue22 with 9.PNG #33
                Velvet6 with 103.PNG #31 Purple7 with 35.PNG #36 Lavender25 with 14.PNG #9
                Rose9 with 13.PNG #7 Pink19 with 10.PNG #18 multi32 with 91.PNG #5 multi36 with 100.PNG #25
                White4 with 105.PNG #21 Gray21 with 86.PNG #28 Smoke37 with 56.PNG #30 Gray5 with 67.PNG #26

Attached Files:

• ecostarmom

Slot for last 8 carpets...okay, got them done!

pastel20 with 32.PNG #23 pastel29 with 16.PNG #29 pastel12 with 111.PNG #22 pastel30 with 66.PNG #34
                  pastel2 with 62.PNG #11 pastel18 with 106.PNG #13 pastel28 with 66.PNG #24 pastel24 with 15.PNG #4

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
                  • ecostarmom

And! I've got 40 wood floors to test out! If you have favorites, let me know (I'm not going to number them right now, but you can...just tell me either row or column)

walls_and_floors - Wood.png

xnb file attached, if you'd like to try it out.
                    J

Attached Files:

• ecostarmom

Here are the 1st 20 wood floors. For the most part, I think they are gorgeous! There are a couple I will fix the dark bottom line causing the tiling effect. And I might try to reduce the size on the X pattern. I decided it would be easier & faster to stick with one wallpaper, but happened to open a game & the combo with the blue was so lovely, I decided to use 2 wallpapers instead. Hope you like them!
                      I've also been working on the compilation, and have selected my favorite carpets. I will soon add the woods & see if there are any other floors I want to add. I've also made 2 wallpapers with the carpet pattern.

wood0 with 101.PNG wood1 with 64.PNG wood2 with 101.PNG wood3 with 101.PNG wood4 with 101.PNG wood5 with 101.PNG wood6 with 101.PNG wood7 with 101.PNG wood8 with 64.PNG wood9 with 64.PNG wood10 with 101.PNG wood11 with 101.PNG wood12 with 64.PNG wood13 with 64.PNG wood14 with 101.PNG wood15 with 101.PNG wood16 with 101.PNG wood17 with 101.PNG wood18 with 101.PNG wood19 with 101.PNG

Also wondering if you prefer vertical or horizontal wood pattern...

HopeWasHere likes this.
                      • Gracelessdance

Gracelessdance Void-Bound Voyager

I honestly think the wood slats would look better horizontal. But that is just me. And are the meant to be tiled or will you make them seamless repeating?

Rauchschwalbe likes this.
                        • ecostarmom

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry, got locked out for a bit. Will be finishing up the floor compilation with suggestions.

• ecostarmom

Okay, so here is an update on the tiling effect of the carpet. I used one of my favorite floors & rotated smaller copies. Also an example of 1 of 2 wallpapers I made using carpet, but I think this might be too psychedelic for me! Still a bit of work to do on the carpets...but I think it's awesome.
                            Oh you can see that carpet original in the fully upgraded house photo - kitchen in second post above.

Attached Files:

Coolwyngs likes this.
                            • Coolwyngs

Wow the floor looks amazing. I hope that you are able to make the other floors look just as good or better.

• ecostarmom

Thanks! I will work on it!

Coolwyngs likes this.
                                • ecostarmom

Here are those last wood examples:
                                  wood20 with 101.PNG wood21 with 101.PNG wood22 with 101.PNG wood23 with 64.PNG wood24 with 101.PNG wood25 with 101.PNG wood26 with 101.PNG wood27 with 101.PNG wood28 with 101.PNG wood29 with 101.PNG wood30 with 64.PNG wood31 with 64.PNG wood32 with 101.PNG wood33 with 101.PNG wood34 with 101.PNG wood35 with 101.PNG wood36 with 64.PNG wood37 with 64.PNG wood38 with 64.PNG wood39 with 64.PNG

Personally, I like the vertical ones better (maybe just the pattern rather than orientation). But I'm going to make a couple side-by-side comparisons. So much easier to check it out full sized. Love those last floors!

• ecostarmom

A comparison of one of my favorite floors; I wanted the distressed beach wood look that's so popular:

wood8 with 64.PNG horizontal wood5 with 64.PNG

Well, the vertical goes with the wall. And stands out from the table. I don't really think there's a huge difference though. copied smaller, I like the horizontal better. I think I'll look at the full sized again.

Got another one I should try out a comparison?

Last edited: May 20, 2017
                                    • ecostarmom

Orientation on the carpet medallions really seems to matter! I really don't like losing the swirl pattern for most of them. So, I guess it will be a mix of tiled & not.

So, preferences on these two orientations?

redH.PNG redV.PNG

• Coolwyngs

I like number 1 better

• ecostarmom

Thanks for chiming in! You're for horizontal all the way!