1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

WIP New Wasteland planet type w/ custom art and audio

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Monomer, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Monomer

Monomer 2.7182818284590...

Short video preview here:

The goal is to create a planet type that looks like a previously civilized planet that has gone to ruin. New art is a combination of sprites from scratch and modified existing parallax backgrounds for now. Goals for the mod include:

-Wasteland-specific music tracks! While I love the music that is in the game by default, I want to put the music implementation system through it's paces, and the default tracks don't necessarily convey the grim nature of a ruined planet.

-At least two planet-specific biomes! Similar to how the vanilla planets have their own pools of possible biomes (i.e. poison biome on forest planets) I want to come up with a couple for this planet type.

-New SFX and lore-related objects! As the video shows, I'm putting in some spawned objects to help sell the history of a ruined planet. Those signs can be destroyed, if you're wondering, and produce Rusty Metal blocks :)

Feedback and suggestions welcome!
    -Monomer

2. Haloguy

Haloguy Subatomic Cosmonaut

good job bro looking forward to this.

3. AgentOrange0x78

AgentOrange0x78 Void-Bound Voyager

:proper: Jolly good!

4. HydraSlash

HydraSlash Space Hobo

The background looks awesome, hoping to see this completed soon.

5. Spacerogue

Spacerogue Void-Bound Voyager

aww yesyesyesss C8

6. oddfellow

oddfellow Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Man, that looks awesome. I want to get this ASAP, this is what Starbound really needs - vanished civilizations.

7. Monomer

Thanks for the replies folks! No clue when I'll have it finished exactly but hopefully not much longer than a week. Need to sprite up some cosmetic things (i.e. rubble to replace bushes and flowers) and do a little more audio work and it should be good to go!

8. oddfellow

oddfellow Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That's good news. Also, if you need some help with audio, feel free to ask!

9. Renikara

Renikara Space Spelunker

Looks like fun. I really would love to give this a run!

10. Veav

Veav Scruffy Nerf-Herder

How's this coming along?

11. Monomer

Got it to a good place, right now I'm just trying to figure out the dang merging of .config files :)

There's a lot of posts on that topic but most seem to be about player.config, which is structured differently than celestial.config. Technically the merge should work since they're both JSON arrays, but I can't seem to get it quite right. I'd rather not release the mod in it's current state where it overwrites .config files (which I see most biome mods currently do), but if this is going to take too long I'll do that for version 1.0.

12. Monomer

Version 1.0 is out!

Nexus: http://www.nexusmods.com/starbound/mods/359/?

Starbound site: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/wasteland-planets-mod.853/

Initial version contains the biome itself, a subbiome (Dead Forest), some new cosmetic objects, a weather system, and some new SFX! Have fun exploring those ruined buildings! :)

Things I'd like to add in the future include:
    • More variety between wasteland planets
    • More cosmetic objects and equipment
    • More buildings and ruins to find in the biome

13. 28Mark

28Mark Pangalactic Porcupine

I guess I'll just have to wait to the update. Cause 1.0 is broken I can overwrite other graphics but their really is a serious lack of good fallout-city themed dungeons. Dungeon editing is a pain in the neck.

14. Monomer

What doesn't work about it? I haven't heard any other reports of the mod not working so far, so if you have a log output or something that would be helpful. Are you merging it with other mods that use the same files?

15. 28Mark

28Mark Pangalactic Porcupine

no I wasn't merging the files I was manually installing them.

16. Monomer

You'd have to be more specific about what you mean by manually installing, or provide the error text from your log. Were you following the instructions from the read me? Also, I noticed in your review that you said you were running version Offended Koala, but the mod requires the latest version of Angry Koala. That may be the issue.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  17. Cycl0n3

Cycl0n3 Void-Bound Voyager

Will you make like an mojave wasteland biome?