Modding Help New to Modding; Portrait Change Advice?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by krizpp, Jan 21, 2019.

1. krizpp

krizpp Void-Bound Voyager

Hello! I got super into modding the last few days and I've been working on splicing together various villager outfit mods for personal use. I'm basing my content.json on this wonderful Seasonal Outfits mod by Tanpopnoko. I changed terms like "inside" to "clear" because it was confusing me when I looked thru the files.

The dynamic tokens currently:

Example of a villager's outfits (this is just the sprites; the portraits look the same except replace "Characters" w/ "Portraits"):

So, my question is thus: is there a more streamlined way I could be doing this? Or perhaps a way to substitute "sun, wind" with "clear" so I don't have to type it out every time? Would separating seasons for each character be better?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Sidenote: While I was initially editing the original content.json, I've decided to completely retype my changes in a new .json file to ensure there's nothing floating around that could mess up the mod.

• paradigmnomad

paradigmnomad Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You'd have to go and change every single png that uses the word 'Indoor' to change it to 'Clear'. That's where most of the legwork would be since you could CTRL+R and replace every instance of the word 'Indoor' with 'Clear'. *Not recommended (See Below)
      You can't substitute 'Clear' for 'Sun, Wind' because those are how the game & content patcher understand weather. Clear isn't a valid "Weather" token.

I did the coding for SVO and I highly discourage people editing it because it is a monster file (it's the main reason why dynamic tokens exist) unless they have a good amount of experience with content patcher - especially dynamic tokens. This is the cleanest the code will be until the missing pieces get completed, in which case some of the "When" sections will be removed.

• krizpp

krizpp Void-Bound Voyager

yeah fair enough, it is pretty big! like a day after i posted this i reconsidered. i did learn a bit about using content patcher thanks to looking through it tho, so there's that!

i was mostly wondering if there was a way to make a substitute for the word, like how {{season}} indicates the current season, if you could put in a piece of code to have {{clear}} = "sun, wind" or something along those lines :)