1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

New Suggestion Section

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Darthkitten, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

I honestly think its more like "a guideline" Good creative suggestions will still get upvoted, and the devs can check it and see its got 2542184751412 Likes as well.

Tojo, Finn Learson and Quantum like this.
  2. Yes I agree Moderators should start having looking to suggestions and merging the DOUBLE threads with the existing ones. For start they should merge the MOST VOTED suggestion that is a double topic suggesting the same thing of one old and much more complete suggestion thread that got into the background.

The most voted: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/abandoned-space-stations.23539/
    Is a double topic of: http://community.playstarbound.com/...space-stations-terror-focused-dungeons.18454/

AstroBlast, Lobo and Quantum like this.
  3. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

OH YEA GIVE US MORE WORK! Lul its cool, I was actually thinking of doing a bit of spring cleaning and doing stuff like that. Infact I think the staff talked about doing that a bit ago.

4. Quantum

Quantum Spaceman Spiff

You got this.

5. emilio666

emilio666 Space Spelunker

You speak the truth

reddit on a nutshell

6. It could be much easier if they launched a suggestion script with Votes integrated in the forum but not using the forum. Forum works too but it is hard to organize. :cautious:

7. Lobo

Lobo Spaceman Spiff

My main issue with this new system, is that some really good suggestions wouldn't get enough cowbell, and even get some downvotes! this way they'd be on the last pages and maybe the devs wouldn't even see them :(
    but the suggestion bot with his links kinda helps with this :up:

8. Cruellyricisti

Cruellyricisti Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Wow quick fingers... I actually came here to create a thread like this.

My take: the idea of it is ingenious. Whoever thought of it needs a raise. But the execution is poor. Terribly poor. I could link to a few different peoples suggestions and compare them to the new suggestions section... but I'll be self centered and use my own as an example. I have two particular well received and controversial suggestions, namely Immersive Filter Effects, and Dying Really Sucks... [Updated]. Sorry I couldn't figure out how to meta link. Anyway, they received MANY likes, especially when including the in-thread polls. But not only are they impossible to find, unless you're explicitly looking for them TO upvote them or have some spare time to click through all the pages voting in general en masse. So they went from thousands and thousands of views in 2 or 3 weeks. Even catching the eyes of a few Devs... to utter oblivion?

Secondly and separately it seems that it has effectively lowered the quality of suggestions, don't believe me? Read through a few threads in the new suggestions section. People have been coming up with one or two sentence threads that are vague and generalized. Just to get seen and get karma (Reddit anyone?). And the sad thing is the really bad/general/already-confirmed/already-denied... threads are getting incredibly high numbers. And the really good stuff is getting drowned out. One of the highest rated threads TO THIS MOMENT, is a thread about tanks that contain liquid. Not only is that something that does not need to be suggested in the first place (just build one with blocks and fill it with liquids, its a block building game). It's also demoed in an early Dev video (which probably gave this person the idea in there first place). Why are people even upvoting that at all? I don't have the answer. Conversely Well received, highly praised, and just flat-out GOOD ideas, are either missed entirely or somehow become bad ideas. Solely based off of this new system.

And lastly, the "Reddit Effect". The front page is full of upvoted threads... that continue to get up voted because they are on the front page. That's the trouble. If you're not on the first page, or even the second... good luck getting exposure, good luck getting up voted, good luck getting to the front page to get more votes.

CalamityQuote likes this.
  9. Maaaaaaaaybe. The integration should count the TOPIC Likes and not the vote system there itself, to be more fair. One of my suggestions got +150 likes and it ends up that is integrated in the game already! :love:

Only thing MODs would need to do there, is MOVE the most liked threads that got implemented.
    Far I know Xenforo can do that, not sure how hard it can be but if you already got the post data, the likes.. :p

10. Quantum

Quantum Spaceman Spiff

We are in dire straights for a suggestion repository. I like the idea of likes CONTRIBUTING to the 'upvotes' that would help a lot.

11. Lobo

Lobo Spaceman Spiff

Cruellyricisti likes this.
  12. These are just some ideas here, to help improve the suggestions section:

1. All likes given on the forum page are transfered into upvotes. May very well be difficult to implement.
    Also, doesn't give a clean slate, but gives older suggestions their hard-earned work back.
    2. When upvoting or downvoting, you must give a reason as to why. May also be difficult to implement.
    Doesn't need to be long, just a few words like "Creative idea" or "Doesn't fit the theme of the game"
    Helps provide feedback, as well as senseless destruction.

13. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

I don't know.The idea is cool, but I really have the feeling that pepole simply upvote what's on the first 3 pages and stops there.
    I mean, why the fuck upvote "ocean animals"? That thread is old as the forums and fishes have already been confirmed.

Darthkitten and Cruellyricisti like this.
  14. Cruellyricisti

This guy gets it

15. Fighter1405

Fighter1405 Suggestions System Author

Hover text has been added on the icons =) Adding tags is in theory possible but will take a bit more time to look at. If I get a chance I'll see what I can do there too.

Given a few people have suggested this I'll respond briefly to say why we didn't do it in the first place. As I'm sure you've noticed the suggestions aren't ranked only on their (upvote-downvote) score (which can be overly-simplistic) but instead based on statistical principles to estimate the probability that the idea is generally liked or generally disliked. This is why some suggestions with a higher score appear below others with a lower score. It does, however, mean that the sample size and number of downvotes is also taken into account. The inbuilt forum 'likes' system does not provide the option for users to 'dislike' something and so if we imported all of the existing likes then all the imported suggestions would immediately have 100% likes. Even if this only reflected a relatively small number of people actually pressing the like button the ranking algorithm would still consider it almost certain that this is a great idea, because nobody has yet downvoted it (because downvoting, of course, wasn't possible). This would give all the imported suggestions a huge advantage over newly made suggestions and make them very hard to touch.

16. Tojo

Tojo Existential Complex

Is there a possibility for like a random button so that if you hit it you can go to a random page and check it out and possible support or constructively critise the suggestion?

Mianso, Thanel and AstroBlast like this.
  17. Cruellyricisti

Buena Idea!

18. That's what i was thinking about, at least load the main suggestions page as random, and then the top ones be a separate tab. :alien:

19. Nanohurtz

Nanohurtz Space Spelunker

I agree. Suggestions should be handled more discreetly. Some of the sold called 'great' suggestions may be a technical nightmare to implement while the low votes may not. Those ideas that do make it into the game deserve an announcement.

20. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

Might I suggest to invert the "Top suggestions" and "New suggestions" buttons? In a way that you see the new suggestions first and if you want you can see the popular ones.
    Still, I preferred how the forums worked: as the idea was being discussed, it actually gained visibility in the first page of tha suggestion type. Couldn't be possible to give more visibility to threads with more posts in it?

Darthkitten likes this.