New stuff way too expensive?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by SirChen, Oct 6, 2016.

1. SirChen

SirChen Space Hobo

So after playing the 1.1 update, i found out that the new Gold Clock magic building costed 10 million gold. I saw this and was curious to how long it would take to buy it by doing some math. For money, I used twenty kegs of ancient fruit. (I did't want anymore to keep the farm looking more like a farm and not a factory even if it meant more money) Since the ancient fruits take a week for them to regrow the fruits after fully grown and that the kegs take about a week too to make the wine, I did some math on how much weeks would i need for the Gold Clock.

Also for those who don't know yet, Gold Clock is 10 mil, Return staff is 2 mil, and the two new obelisks are a mil each.

With the 40% artisan goods bonus from lvl 10 farming (and the new balance changese), I could get 46,200g a week from 20 kegs
    This means it would take 216 weeks or about 13 and a half ingame years to afford the clock.
    This was a problem since I never had a run for even 5 years before I got too late game

I also checked if I had 138 kegs
    138 because its how much ancient fruits i can fit in the greenhouse with 6 sprinklers watering them
    Even with 138 kegs it takes about 2 years ingame to get the clock

I know this is not the most efficient method of gathering money, but I feel its the simplest that most player resort to like myself.

I am also not 100% confident with the numbers but I think it would be a very high number days still to afford the clock.

I also know that for some reason sleeping an ingame hour is 100 mins rather than the 60 min if you just played the hour. So sleeping would speed up kegs a fair bit compared to playing but still it would take awhile.

So basically what I am saying here is that I really think that some of the new late game items are simply way too expensive to be a goal to reach without grinding and skipping months ingame

However despite all this, I haven't actually tested ingame and purchased the Gold Clock to see about how long it would take so this may all be irrelevant.

• Caudyr

Caudyr Black Hole Surfer

Are you taking into account the aging process of some of the Ancient Fruit wines in Casks in the basement? I don't know how long it would take to age them, but...yeah. It might speed it up considerably if at least SOME of them were aged, as well. I dunno. =x

• Kickz

Kickz Space Penguin Leader

The new items are expensive because they're meant for the players who have large amounts of play time or those who put up a lot of effort into the game. They're not vital to the overall game and are mostly for the luxury of convenience and a reward for those who throw the time/effort. 2 years for something you only have to check on 4 times a season for two years is pretty easy. You can simply sleep after doing some minor chores to speed up time or do other productions along with the ancient fruit wines. How you go about it is up to you, but it's far from unreasonable price for an end game luxury item.

Stardews and Buttons_1 like this.
        • Kh0rnet

Kh0rnet Subatomic Cosmonaut

Casks are worthless, because it takes two months to double the price of wine inside. I could get 8 more batches of wine if I had more kegs in their place.

As for the pricing on new buildings I agree that they are too expensive now. With his nerfs, CA obviously wanted to avert us from turning Stardew Valley into a... well... farming simulator.
          The thing is, with the 16 million gold on late game stuff to spend on, he did the opposite. He didn't make any other moneymaking method viable. He just nerfed the most efficient one. So all he achieved is making the game more tedious for people who want to experience ALL the content, or are completionists.
          Before 1.1 I never felt like I'm on a timer as much as I am now. Because I can't help WANTING those obelisks and clock, but I just CAN'T make money fast enough.
          To summarize, the demand to nerf ancient fruit + wine grind was met with new structures to spend money on. The nerfs were unnecessary and don't 'fix' anything, only punish a certain playstyle.

Don't give me that. I'm a perfectionist. If it's there, I want it. It's not a purely aesthetic choice too, there are gameplay features involved.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
            ChaosAzeroth and Caudyr like this.
          • Steelchampion

Steelchampion Seal Broken

I don't mean to brag but I logged into the game after 1.1 installed and then bought everything. Unfortunately that means I haven't made much use yet from the update since I instantly have everything on my save. I honestly don't think that it's too expensive, it's just what you want to do with your game, and if you want to make fast money then you can!

• Lumisteria

Lumisteria Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Didn't make any moneymaking method viable ? Most day, i do 10000g with truffle and i have only 6 pigs. Often i gain more. And it's additional with anything i make with crop and crop products. Pig farming is really more viable now.

Foraging is better with iridium crop now, even if not at the level of classic crop, but winter seeds in winter aren't in real competition with normal seeds.

So i don't agree, others methods are a lot more viable. Better than classic crop and wine ? Not really, but since you could easily do both, it's not relevant to just compare numbers.

Also, all the endgame expensives buildings are only some kind of bonus convenience. Who really really need a gold clock ? Having debris isn't that much annoying, and replacing fence, since they already take longer to decay, isn't also a real problem. Totems are just useful, but you could already craft smaller version and you don't need to go that often that quickly to beach or mountain. Most useful of the expensive stuff is krobus return scepter. So it's 2,000,000g, expensive but doable.

The junimo hutch is not too expensive, the price is reasonnable.

You argue that you are a completionist, so you want all and everything that is in the game, but at least these things are obtainable in a reliable way. There are people in year 3 or more without one or others artifact, sometime the rare seed itself, or anything that could lead to a nice decoration. You can't be sure to obtain the artifact you need, but theses building, it's just a matter of time. A lot of time, but still only time, no time and luck and randomness.

Also, i don't think it's fair that, because you are a completionist (which is fine) you ask for the game to be balanced only for your point of view. If you play in an extreme way, you have to accept that balance could hurt your playstyle because balance aim the more classics playstyles. Doesn't mean that completionists don't have the right to have things focused on them, but if something is great for classic playstyle and hurt very specifics playstyles, it's better for most of people to have the great part, and the extreme players should adapt.

It's true for the balance of price of berries, for example. It will "hurt" min/max players, but it will help a lot of people to enjoy the game more (and help the balance of the game). So it's good to do this (and ConcernedApe was pretty soft, the price are lower, but not afwully lower, berries are still very good money maker, sometime still the best money maker of one season).

It's true for nearly useless expensive building. They are perfect for spending amount of money when you reach the moment when you have that much money than gaining more money feel pointless. But they are also not mandatory, so most people will never be sad to not have them. You aren't theses most people, it's fine. You have too choice : adapt, or mod your game to adapt it to you. But if the things are fine for the game and for most players, don't require the game to adapt to you and be less good for others.

• Allenb60

Allenb60 Orbital Explorer

Changes to the extreme prices would be nice, I would rather not see them at all if they are going to be put so far out of reach... I hope either the price is lowered for some of the new end-game purchasable items or they are given an alternate way of being obtained, such as a quest line or challenge
                Edit: I don't know, I guess the prices aren't bad since its only an option, but its still discouraging to know your un-optimized farm will never be on-par with others

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
                • Caudyr

Caudyr Black Hole Surfer

Quest line to reduce the price to a reasonable level, or something like that...is something I wouldn't mind seeing. ^^

• sinnoaria

sinnoaria What do you get if you multiply six by nine?

There are a few ways to get a large amount of money very easily. Though most require a bit of RNG, I'd say my earnings per day (averaging on the week, not total), is between 100k per day on a bad week or 1~2 mil per day on a good week (usually first week of a season is lower regardless of RNG).

I actually figured out a way to make about 1 mil per day regardless of your luck, but it is a HUGE amount of effort to reach that point and a HUGE amount of luck (built up over time, but still). Well, you could also reach that point by skipping days at rapid speed once you've gotten the statues. That and you'd have a VERY specialized farm that produces only one thing so if that one thing ever gets nerfed like fruit and artisan goods did...

Essentially, if you play in a balanced way, you won't necessarily become super rich, but nerfs won't hit you super hard either. If you play in a very specialized way, nerfs can completely wipe your build so you have to have something in reserve.

I consider completionism a specialized way of playing. Essentially, you want the newest and the latest. And if you look at real world trends (fashion, technology, mmos, etc.), the newest stuff tend to be the most expensive. That and super old stuff that you can't really obtain anymore.

I think that the prices are actually surprisingly low for end-game items. Especially since the most useful of those end-game buildings/items is actually really cheap.

The only thing I find a bit too expensive is the item that disables trash and fence decay. Since I sometimes want the trash, I can't reasonably buy it if there is no easy way to disable it without having to destroy it and rebuy it at full price again later. (Granted, I'm kind of at the point where I don't really want the trash anymore with few exceptions since I'm at the point where the gains from the trash aren't really better than the loss from the trash).

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
                    • Buttons_1

Buttons_1 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I don't have an issue with the price of the clock, I'm almost at the buying stage of it atm. but like Kickz mentioned, it is obvious an end game luxury item for more serious players who spend more time in the game. I am one of them. And I can honestly say, without that sort of expense, the 1.1 update wouldn't have provided me much more of a challenge to work for.

No support sorry.

• ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

I wouldn't say the prices are too high so much as the nerfs pointless, given no one HAD to use them but everyone has to live with the nerfs. ((Sorry but I myself and others I know of are steriotypical 80 year old grandma tech dumb, mods are not happening for chunks of people..))

• CarolineNz

CarolineNz Void-Bound Voyager

I only play on the weekends, and I managed to get money pretty fast.
                          The best way to be honest is via Star Fruit, and Cranberries.
                          Star Fruit wine gives you a significant amount of money.
                          On Fall, just plant Cranberries, all around the farm. You will get 1mi on a season.
                          Use the rain totem to make it rain so you don't have to worry about it.