Race New Race: The Cobble

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by catocat9001, Dec 1, 2015.

?

Do you like my idea for a Race?

1. Yes.

9 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No.

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Maybe, but with some adjustments.

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. catocat9001

catocat9001 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is my submission for a race idea, The Cobble are beings made from fabric, yarn, textile, etc; their general appearance should be similar to this:
    cobble2.png

The Cobble are a mysterious race, their origin is nearly impossible to determine. They claim their ancestors were created by "Granny", who herself is impossible to determine their origin, Granny is depicted as a humanoid, even though both Humans and Apex have not yet evolved to this state at the time she was still around.

The Cobble seem to have an 'average' level of technology, but the most interesting thing about them is how they make more of their kind by sewing together a body, then imbuing it with "lifeforce" , even the most advanced scientists in the galaxy have yet to figure out this phenomenon. For weapons, they seem to use giant sewing needles, and a Tech Staff that binds the target in a mass of thread, immobilizing them for a short time.

They are generally considered the most carefree race, they normally only attack as a last resort. If you play as a Cobble the introduction states that your home village's elder has declared that you have been chosen as the Legendary Hero/Heroin, and have been sent out into the galaxy to restore balance to the universe, in actuality, your village's elder is a bit scatterbrained, and this happens usually three times in a Cobble week, but because of their carefree nature, the player just rolls with it. It shouldn't be surprising that the player might run into other Cobble settlements consisting of 'Legendary Heroes'.

The Cobble tend to get along well with other races for the most part:

The Apex are extremely confused as to how they exist, all vivisections reports claim "There is only stuffing". It's said that Big Ape spoke with a Cobble ambassador, the ambassador said that if Big Ape would like to learn how to make Cobble, that they would be willing to teach them, but only if they promise to only make them for responsible reasons. The rest of the meeting was roughly an hour of Big Ape sitting in total silence, occasionally looking to the side while the ambassador was sitting quietly with an innocent smile on their face.

The Florans are incredibly terrified of them, the reason is that consuming a Cobble's stuffing results in 'really bad indigestion', something that was though physically impossible for a Floran to experience. Greenfinger decreed that if a Cobble steps into a Floran settlement, to "Play it cool until they're gone"

It's believed that the Hylotl hold the most contempt towards the Cobble, the reasons being that they're supposedly jealous of their superior people skills, and ability to come to peaceful resolutions almost effortlessly. Thought it's also assumed that they just cannot tolerate their atrocious fashion sense; ironically they can create life from cloth, but when they try to make clothing, it's usually baggy, and uneven.

The Novakid hold them in high regard as "The ones that get them.", although it's assumed this is because of a 'mutual naivete' for both of them.

It's believed that they know the secret of the Ancient Gate, but whenever asked about it, the topic always seems to change (usually with the Cobble offering a lesson in baking apple pie). It's rumored that this might be because of their scatterbrained nature, or that they believe that the other races are not ready to know about it just yet, but for all we know, apple pie might actually be an important component for solving the mystery.

Here's a rough draft of their idle sprites:
    Cobble.png
    The Cobble's customization options should include Cloth Color 1, Cloth Color 2, Seam Placement, and Head Decoration.

I await your opinions.

2. Faeryheart

Faeryheart Weight of the Sky

Aww, this is now my favorite race <3
    I just love the idea! How they look, their story, their personality, everything! :3
    I wonder what their ship pet would be?
    Would be really awesome if this race was added! I also imagine their villages and furnitures to look adorable!
    Will their villages look like a collection of doll houses? [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  3. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Guest

Me: Hey do you know anything about the gate?
    Random Cobble: APPLE PIE!

4. catocat9001

I think either a Patchwork Turtle or Patchwork Chameleon would work well.

Faeryheart likes this.
  5. Faeryheart

Faeryheart Weight of the Sky

What about a Patchwork cat? Hehe :p

Or maybe toysoldiers/dolls, do you think that would match with them?

6. IJustWantTheModsBrah

IJustWantTheModsBrah Orbital Explorer

even if its not added we need a mod for this...like *now*

7. catocat9001

I decided to draw some character prototypes:
    cobble01.jpg cobble02.jpg

8. Mango art

Mango art Starship Captain

I love the idea, but it's a little creepy to me. But I have a fear of puppets. They scare the hell out of me. No idea why. The Automaton in Hugo terrified me.