1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated New Race Jumpstart Kit 1.3

A race-creation resource for new modders, by a new modder.

1. Wall of Knowledge

Wall of Knowledge Cosmic Narwhal

Wall of Knowledge submitted a new mod:

New Race Jumpstart Kit - A race-creation resource for new modders, by a new modder.

Read more about this mod...

2. Wall of Knowledge

3. Gratuitous Lurking

Gratuitous Lurking Space Kumquat

I've not started on the coding part of the Poididae yet, cheers for sharing your base groundwork to use :D

4. Wazaap

Wazaap Subatomic Cosmonaut

So, is it FOR upbeat giraffe or...?

5. Wall of Knowledge

I probably should have clarified, but yes. If the race skeleton changes significantly again in the future, I'll try to keep it updated (though I make no guarantees).

6. Taweret

Taweret Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Every time I try to load up my race mod, mission3.ai.patch's syntax seems to cause Upbeat Giraffe to crash on the loading screen. I've tested the base, unedited myrace version and it loads up fine. All I've changed in the mission3.ai.patch in my modded version is replaced the single entry of "myrace" with my race's name in the file (while having done it throughout the other modded files as well, natch).

While I'm new to JSON as a format in general, I can't for the life of me figure out how to remedy this bizarre syntax error. Notepad++ in both the unedited myrace version and my own, there IS a pair of mysteriously orphaned braces that should be opening and closing one another, however I guess upon saving my modded version it renders the syntax screwy. Running it through jsonlint's parser and tweaking it from there yields something jsonlint likes to parse, but copying that into mission3.ai.patch still yields crashing and the same exact complaints from Starbound's logs.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  7. Wall of Knowledge

I actually noticed something about that come up in a log while debugging something unrelated, but forgot to look into it since it never gave me crashes.

Code:
    [
        {"op" : "add"
        ,"path" : "/speciesText/myrace"
        , "value" : {
        "apex" : {
          "buttonText" : "Mysterious Party",
          "repeatButtonText" : "Revisit Mysterious Party",
          "selectSpeech" : [
            {
              "animation" : "talk",
              "text" : "I've been given co-ordinates to a party. Maybe it's worth investigating.",
              "speedModifier" : 1.0
            }
          ]
        }}
    ]
    Seems the "apex" : {" line is the cause of the issue, and the patch parses properly when it's removed.
    Result of a sloppy copy/paste job on my part I blame the Miniknog. Fixed version will be up in just a few minutes. :party:

Taweret likes this.
  8. Wall of Knowledge

9. Pohany

Pohany Parsec Taste Tester

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Menu Technology does not work and nano suits. I know that the images are stored in the folder "interface" But I could not find out which file is responsible for them. How to make the menu work?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  10. Wall of Knowledge

11. the_bru

the_bru Void-Bound Voyager

This mod is crashing again when put into the latest stable release mods folder... They just keep changing stuff!

Pohany likes this.
  12. Wall of Knowledge

You're going to have to be a bit more specific than this: All "It's crashing" tells me is "there may or may not be a problem that I need to fix", and it doesn't really help me do that. My development build is still set to nightly, and it seems to still be working perfectly fine.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  13. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Ah, a new base race mod resource. Very nice. I'll be using this to update the Gallavoir later. By the way, if you're still is using MEGA, I recommend you switch to MediaFire because it's far easier.

14. Fuufuu

Fuufuu Subatomic Cosmonaut

Im gonna have to wait till the AI is inside of this So I can make my own~ ! But... yea. Im torn between deciding two races of what I do. Just unsure which one.

15. Wall of Knowledge

The patch files to completely customize the AI's text are already in; if you want to change the AI's appearance, that's simply a matter of copying one of the existing AI sprite sheets and editing it (which is massively time-consuming, just as a warning).

16. Fuufuu

I saw that the files were there, but never saw the sprite xD
    I also Already assumed it was massively time consuming. But... The one I wanted to make for either of the races. Were Quite Simple. Soooo yea.
    I guess I better go hunt that AI Sprite sheet(Which I don,t know where it is xD )

17. Fuufuu

I... have another question.. I went and tried to see what the things were called but couldn't get it.
    I also want to add some starting clothes. But those things are not in the race jumpstartX3 I know im gonna have to make them and their folder directory. But...
    How and where should those be ? I went and checked other race mods.. But couldn't pinpoint their location xD;

18. Wall of Knowledge

Sorry, but as the readme mentions, items and tutorials aren't the purview of this mod. If you haven't already, you should definitely unpack the game's assets to examine Starbound's complete file structure, since not all mods contain all types of files (and if you don't know how to do this, I highly recommend you check out the Modding Help forum).

19. Fuufuu

Oh don't worry, I read the readme and that this wasn't included. I was just wondering if you knew like... the directory. Cause the race I checked for reference -has- custom Clothings for starters. But theres... way to many folders and I can't exactly... pinpoint which one it is.
    I was just wondering if you knew the directory~ But... That is a good point. I should go there instead of asking you things all the time :s Im very sorry about that.

20. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Clothing is usually found under /items/armors/ and race-specific clothing is found under further subfolders.