1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

New player question (village rarity)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by rf-a, Sep 15, 2020.

1. rf-a

rf-a Yeah, You!

Hi all, love the game, but as I started exploring my original planetary system, I discovered that it's 5 planets are extremely well populated with villages. The system has a Floran tree village, a human camp, a Hylotl town, an Avian town, and a Glitch castle all in the same starting system. ...and two or three smaller settlements of playable races, not to mention several other alien dwellings. Is this just a fluke? If so, I'm tempted to start again with a different universe just so I can get more of an adventure out of it, as right now I can complete three of the main Esther quests without even leaving the system. :/ ...over population of that kind just ruins the immersion for me - are villages really that common?

PS: Not using any mods.

2. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

I normally only found Floran or Hylotl (or it can still be any race, really) settlement in my starting star system, the other is quite rare normally (they usually exist in the other, more difficult star system). About the quantity, normally it's not as much as yours, usually there will be one or two settlement, or none in one planet (well it depends on the size of the planet too), and rarely three. But still, yours is also possible to happen. I think you are just so lucky. Well... too lucky.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  3. rf-a

rf-a Yeah, You!

Bummertown. :/

4. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Moor Oakheart is correct.

There's normally a couple villages in the starting system. There's almost always at least one dungeon/settlement of some kind on a planet (except barren). Finding that many obviously isn't impossible. In fact, there's probably tons of systems like that, given the size of the universe. I don't think a lot of people would complain about it though so that could be why there hasn't been much discussion about it. Or maybe no one else has encountered it yet. Again, the Starbound universe is so massive it's entirely possible you're the first to find something like this. So to answer the question: no villages are not normally this common for most people. You wouldn't have to restart the entire universe to get a new starting system. Each new character is randomly placed on a suitable garden planet. It's likely you'll be ridiculously far from that system if you start a new character.

Also, one word posts are frowned on. Please include at least one full sentence in posts.

Daikon Ocelot likes this.