WIP New NPC: Zintha

Discussion in 'Mods' started by DJ_Zapple, Oct 23, 2017.

1. DJ_Zapple

DJ_Zapple Pangalactic Porcupine

Ever since my life stagnated to a nothing-going-on crawl, and finding myself with more free time than I know what to do with, I'm eager to get back to trying to make some mods for Stardew. And since my older mod idea is too big and daunting for me to pull off currently, I figure I should just start smaller.

So I'm working on a single NPC, a girl named Zintha. Taking a small liberty with Starbound also being a Chucklefish game, she is an Avian, who is staying in the saloon, sleeping in the couch every night. I have a lot of plans for the character, from participating in festivals, to even being a marriage candidate. (Because why not?)

Currently, she has custom dialogue, gift preferences, and a full schedule... But I can't quite figure out how to get her to work in-game yet without the original means of getting Flo to work - save editing. Adding to that, her sprites and portraits are currently just grayscale Abigail sprites, as placeholders.

Once I can at least have her able to load in, perhaps as a SMAPI character, and have her with sprites, I'll release her. Any help that could expedite her release would be highly appreciated; otherwise, it may take a fair while...

addy468, HopeWasHere and Jonesy like this.
    • Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I never got around to playing Stardew Valley, but having a romanceable Avian would probably get me interested.

Let me know if you need any help with the dialogue. I may not know modding, but I know my creative writing.

• samuelroy21

samuelroy21 Master Chief

I could whip up a quick script to automatically apply save edits, if you want.

• DJ_Zapple

I'm good on dialogue for now, but once she has more work done on her, I might add in more, a la dialogue overhauls.

That'd certainly be nice. It'd help me test her! Might even be a prologue of making her be a character who doesn't require file overwrites to install.

• samuelroy21

samuelroy21 Master Chief

Alright, I'll start work on something.

• DJ_Zapple

I whipped up a rudimentary design for Zintha's overworld sprites, using the female farmer base. I'd strongly prefer to have someone more talented do this, as all I can do are recolors...

Also, sorry the image is so tiny, but making it bigger on my computer blurred the image.

Zintha Stardew.png

• DJ_Zapple

I wonder, should Zintha work at Joja Mart, to cover the price to stay at the saloon? It'd require a complete retooling of her schedule, though... Opinions needed!

• ssr66

ssr66 Guest

I like the idea of a new npc! Spice up life a little bit. Before I suggest anything, can you tell me her schedule? I want to make sure the suggestion I make would fit within her schedule.

• blargsnarf

blargsnarf Pangalactic Porcupine

To make it unblurry when resized just use a good program to blow up your pixel art. If you're using Photoshop (it's terrible for pixel stuff but that's what I use) just make sure image resizing is set to "nearest neighbor". Look for settings that preserve pixel resolution, etc. All actual sprite programs should have settings for correctly increasing size.

Also make sure you resize to 200%, 300%, etc. Resizing to like 236% will mess up the pixel resolution.

Attached Files:

• DJ_Zapple

Right now, I'm rewriting her schedule so it isn't terribly simple. So go ahead and pitch the suggestion!

Thanks. I use Paint.net, but I'm sure that's doable that way, too.

• ssr66

ssr66 Guest

Ok, I was thinking that maybe she could go out to the woods and gather food to sell to Gus.

• DJ_Zapple

Gus buys his stock from Pierre's every Sunday, though. So... Wouldn't really work too well. Hense why I'm thinking of her working at Jojamart.

• DJ_Zapple

With the event of the CustomNPC mod being added, I can get Zintha made quicker! But I need sprites and portraits for her. If anyone would like to help, please let me know!

(Because my sprites and art suck bigguns.)

• stardewbalverines

stardewbalverines Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'd be interested in helping w the sprites!!
                              Here's some of my stuff

[​IMG]
                              [​IMG]
                              and these are poke sprites, but they have some wings I've done
                              [​IMG]
                              [​IMG]

• DJ_Zapple

Hey, those look pretty damn good! I'd certainly appreciate the help, too! Not sure how this sort of stuff goes down though. Through PM?

• DJ_Zapple

Everything's coming along Milhouse now. Still need to get her portraits, and I'm working on adding a basement of sorts in the saloon for her to use as a bedroom. Which is going slowly as I'm still learning to use the mapping program.

Still, I'm hoping to finish her by Christmas, at least. Need to make 100% sure she is ready.

• DJ_Zapple

Didn't realize dialogue was this hard to write. Still working on her... Still need her portraits, too, if anybody is willing to help. She should be ready soon, but I'd rather wait until she has her portraits to upload her.

• DJ_Zapple

Okay! So I'm back and ready to get back to work on Zintha in earnest! Buuuuut... I don't have a spriter anymore. ^.^' I think. If anyone knows someone who can edit the sprites for her to have an autumn outfit, and are willing to do portraits as well, that'd be awesome. Even if they're the type to charge; I'll happily commission this to get Zintha's stuff done!

(Also, does anyone know where I might find the tiles to give Zintha a camper to live in, instead of the old saloon basement idea?)

• stardewbalverines

stardewbalverines Scruffy Nerf-Herder