RELEASED New NPC Alec - Beta

Discussion in 'Mods' started by HopeWasHere, Dec 10, 2017.

1. HopeWasHere

HopeWasHere Existential Complex

This is the beta testing of Alec, a new marriageable NPC, made possible through Platonymous' CustomNPC mod. Please report any errors here, or check below to see if your error has already been reported. Also check for updates as these errors are addressed.

Alec - New Villager of Stardew Valley

Alec-1.png

Alec is a brash yet kindhearted man from the Fern Isles. He has trouble connecting with others, but is hoping to meet someone to help him change that. An expert with both animals and computers, you can find his shop in the forest near the pond.

The beta testing has finally opened! Anyone who would like to help test is welcome to, the downloads can be found here: (add link). Please be sure to follow all instructions for installation on that page and report any errors you find on this thread.

Alec is based off of my husband (as I wanted to be able to marry him in game as well as real life) and, yes, is another white guy and another red head. I know Stardew already has a lot of those. An ethic optional patch is in the works, as well as a female counter part to Alec so the number of bachelors to bachelorettes is the same. In the mean time, please don't make a fuss about another red head/white guy being added to the game. Thank you for your understanding.

First, I would like to thank Platonymous for all of his help! Without his determination and willingness to work with me, this mod would not exist! What started out as a silly personal project has turned into so much more, and we have him to thank for it. Please, if you have any time to spare, please check out his other mods. His work is incredible and he deserves all the recognition he can get.

Next I would like to thank tiffy961 for allowing me to use the hairstyle she created for Shane. Her work making the NPCs older is great and is definitely worth a look.

I would also like to thank all the people over on the Stardew Valley discord for all of their help, they are some great people and have always been a welcoming and helpful community.

If there is anyone else I may have forgotten (as the project took much longer than anticipated to finish) please let me know so I can give my proper thanks. I know there are so many people out there that helped inspire and encourage along the way, and I want to make sure you are recognized.

How to Install

There are many mods that are required for this mod to work. Those mods include:

CustomElementHandler
    CustomFarming
    CustomFurniture
    CustomNPC

All of these mods need to be up to date along with the files that are included in this mod. Be sure to follow the instructions carefully as failure to do so may break your game as this is still in beta testing. It is recommended that the player starts a new game with this mod rather than adding the new NPC to an existing save.

The files you need to download from Nexus are as follows:
    Platonymous.Mailbox - Placed in CustomFarming\CustomContent
    HopeWasHere.Animals - Placed in CustomFurniture\Furniture
    Alec - Placed in CustomNPC\Npcs

In order to install, you must have the mods listed above and the files included with this mod in the proper mod folders. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask and I will do my best to get to your questions quickly.

How to Install-Optional

If you are using NPCMapLocations you can add Alec as an NPC that will appear on the map. You will need to go into the config file and add the following the bottom of the document.

"customNPCs": {
    "Alec": {
    "id": 1,
    "crop": 0
    }

This should make it so he appears on the map (other than the bug listed below). If this doesn't work, please let me know, as I've only been able to test my own game.
    If you are using UI Info Suite for map locations, he will work without any editing to the config. Though he will not show up whenever he's in his shop.

You may also optionally add my Craftable Fish Bowl mod, it will work similarly to the animals you can purchase in the shop, however you will be able to craft in in your own home if you want.

There is an optional bearded Portrait found on Nexus if you are interested.

For those of you who would like to see how the mod was made and/or follow what should be happening in the mod, such as events and dialog, here is a link to the Google Drive folder to look at how everything was done.

Known Bugs

• There is currently not a door blocking the player from entering Alec's room before they have reached 2 hearts with him. This is an oversite on my part and will be fixed as soon as I can figure out how...
    • For some reason the game runs very slowly during the flower dance festival. Yes, you are able to dance with Alec. Why this slowing occurs is currently unknown.
    • The animations for Alec are...strange, for lack of a better term. They are being tweaked, but for now just try to ignore them if you can...
    • Some of Alec's scheduling is off and the dialog said during this scheduling is broken. Looking into a fix.
    • Not all of Alec's dialog is finished. Currently working on it, and the mod will be updated accordingly.
    • When adding Alec to an existing save, his home is covered in trees, even after using the bush_rest command. Starting a new game with the mod already installed is the only true way around this at this time.
    • There is not a change to the map image to reflect where Alec lives. Currently working on a fix.
    • If you are using the MoreAnimals mod you will notice that you are able to adopt animals from the "Adoption Center" in the pet shop. This was for testing purposes and I am looking into collaborating with Entoarox to make this a permanent feature. In the mean time, it will say to adopt from Marnie and whatever else it says.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    • Yuka Code

Yuka Code Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't see him and his shop. Help me !!!

jessicajames1991 and HopeWasHere like this.
      • Platonymous

Platonymous Big Damn Hero

Does Smapi show any errors?

HopeWasHere likes this.
        • Yuka Code

It doesn't show errors, but i don't see Alec and his shop.

HopeWasHere likes this.
          • Platonymous

There's not much to go on in your description. Make sure you have the latest version of SMAPI installed, and to ensure that you have all required dependencies installed I'd recommend downloading the "Complete Bundle" from the Nexus files, and extract all of what's in it into the Mod folder.

HopeWasHere likes this.
            • JeStErHALLOW

JeStErHALLOW Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Lurker who decided to try help with beta testing...where or when exactly does he show up? Just asking since I have not been able to find Alec in a new save (I got the bundle download, have not had any errors) and I edited the save to give me the things needed for the mailbox in case but nothing yet.

And just in case I might have missed something, are there any files we need to edit? like the save? I wasn't sure if I needed to do that or not ;u;

HopeWasHere likes this.
              • Platonymous

He is supposed to show up in the Forest, if you install NPCMapLocations he should show up on that aswell.
                If he doesn't please upload your smapi log to smapi.io and share the link here. Even if you have no errors there are still things in there that could help with finding the issue.

There are no edits required, if you have smapi installed and extracted the complete package to the mod folder, you've done all that your supposed to. Thanks for helping out.

HopeWasHere likes this.
                • JeStErHALLOW

Alrighty, I did find him in the woods, so he's definitely working c: I'll keep an eye out for any bugs with him and let you know then ;7;

HopeWasHere likes this.
                  • Library-Tech

Library-Tech Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Mod works great! Some minor bugs I've come across (I'm sorry I forgot to take screen shots!):
                    • During his 2 heart event, all of the dialogue options you're given are gibberish (sorry I didn't think to take a screen shot at the time) like 2hrtq1
                    • After presenting him with the mermaid pendant, but before the wedding, everytime you initiate a conversation with Alec he repeats his acceptance dialogue first (i.e. even the day after proposing and after talking to him multiple times)
                    • After marriage, most days, Alec's dialogue box flashes and disappears before any dialogue is actually 'said'
                    Overall this is awesome! Thanks so much for taking the time to make it!

HopeWasHere likes this.
                    • JeStErHALLOW

Found a minor text bug if you give Alec a gift he doesn't like...the end gets a money symbol and a z?

Also in his house, the decor alone the back wall apparently floats as I noticed my characters head clipping beneath it.

I'll enclose screepcaps of the bugs to show what I mean:

Bad gift text bug:

[​IMG]

Items in his room clipping/overlapping character (Everything on those boxes from the computer to the bottle does it) :

[​IMG]

• Yuka Code

Thanks, I love it. I hope you create a different npc anymore.

HopeWasHere likes this.
                        • HopeWasHere

I do have some other NPC's in the works, but I don't know when (or if) they would be released. I'll keep you posted!

Abigail - Self Portrait NPC.png 1 - Hat - Copy.png Hair 1-3 - Copy (2) - Copy.png Tongan Preview.png Untitled.png

• Library-Tech

Library-Tech Scruffy Nerf-Herder

One more bug I've come across: Other NPCs in the game "double" when you give them a gift, and the game continues to show two of them. I've narrowed it down to this mod being the cause. No errors show in SMAPI and the game doesn't crash, but you do end up with multiple of the same NPC running around Stardew Valley.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HopeWasHere likes this.
                            • sheetcakeghost

sheetcakeghost Weight of the Sky

I've had the doubling happen even if you don't give them items. Sometimes they just double up walking around. I've had three Guses in the community center kitchen before. They aren't ghosts either. You can talk to them all and exhaust their dialog options for the day.

Also, I've managed to use the CJB cheat to max hearts with Alec, but he doesn't show up on the list. I have just maxed hearts with all of the doubles that appear and one of them happens to work for him. I've no idea if that is useful for relevant information though.

• JeStErHALLOW

o_O I haven't have the doubling glitch...

• sheetcakeghost

If that's the case this might be due to the mod interacting with some other mod that we have and you don't.

• Platonymous

I used CJB a lot for testing, that should work and show. CNPC does nothing to any other character at this point so that bug is weird. What other mods do you have installed?

• sheetcakeghost

So apostrophes aren't showing up in this scene.

[​IMG]

Also.

[​IMG]

Was that supposed to be the name of the item?

A lot. I mod the heck out of my game. I'll just list the ones that would have an impact on NPCs though.

I've removed zDailyIncrease and I'll let you know if I encounter anymore doubles. (I don't suspect that was the issue, but you never really know.)
                                      FastAnimations
                                      XnbLoader (While I do not have anything in there that would change the sprites that I have noticed double (Mayor Lewis and Gus) I do make liberal use of the Xnb Loader. Your mod overwrites anything the loader loads in, I've noticed. I know this because I have Karmylla's Immersive Map Edits in the Xnb Loader and they do not show when I have the CustomNPC mod going. I expected that to be the case, however, and suspect making the CustomNPC compatible with other map edits would be a huge pain in the ass. d:

• HopeWasHere

I think it's a problem with XNB loader, at least the not working with Karmylla's map edits. I used them, but have them installed through a mod manager rather than XNB loader and they all work just fine for me.

• sheetcakeghost

A mod manager, huh? I might want to give that a go myself, honestly. Which one do you use?