New islands for ocean/poison/lava planets

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by General Nuclear, Sep 26, 2016.

1. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

its very annoying that all the islands in starbound is floating islands its a very lazy design and its wasting a lot of space for a 2hole planet.
    and yeah i get it you devs don't want any Mountains to stand in the way for the players to swim from one side of the planet to the other or to ruin the ocean view

but the thing is the they don't have to be solid

here are some quick island designs i made to illustrate that we can easily get more out of the space without blocking the way for players to swim
    starbound island suggestion.png
    i can make some more if you guys want to?
    there are hundreds of ways we can get more out of the space from the ocean planets

(edited)
    ohter island concepts added up here for those who don't like to scroll down

large island concept
    [​IMG]

forgot to draw the broken hole on the top part of the buildings where bouts can go trough
    [​IMG]

starbound island consept.png

also i saw this comic and immediately thought of the ocean planets
    starbound islands problem.png

motor boat island small.png
    secret maneuverable lair (like the avian sky pirate ship not actually moving at all) concept
    i where too lazy to draw the inside lair only the motors.

[​IMG]
    a lazy secret penguin iceberg base for the frozen ocean planets.

*edited* i suddenly remembered that pumice stone floats which is a volcanic rock type. so it would make sense if all the floating islands where made of that instead of sandstone.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    The Squid, Ickura, PaxCallow and 14 others like this.
  2. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

I would prefer the ships. The oceans are too empty.

General Nuclear likes this.
  3. General Nuclear

ships?

4. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

Yeah, with a crew,

5. General Nuclear

do you mean that they should add ships on the planet in the water like the avian sky pirate ship, not a bad idea that,
    should probley also add some futuristic looking ships too

DraikNova and nomad ninga like this.
  6. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

Depending on the faction.

7. General Nuclear

starbound skyscraper ruins suggestion.png
    another quick lazy consept art for what can be added

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  8. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

If possible, there should be somewhat unique content in the cavities in Hollow Floating and both Volcanic Islands, such as mini-biomes and possibily a few unique crops.

The Ruined skyscrapers could add to the islands in Toxic Biomes, and could even have more unique tiles.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    nomad ninga and General Nuclear like this.
  9. nomad ninga

nomad ninga Star Wrangler

I think there should only be a few islands that are realy big and go to the bottom of the water, also have a cave network, also if there where ships that traveled between islands and delivered goods and such

10. General Nuclear

i forgot to draw the hole on the top part of the buildings where bouts can go trough

anyway here is a new one large island consept
    starbound island suggestion.png

i should add every thing on the top images so every one can see

by the way speaking of ships, shipwrecks would have been werid cool to find at the bottom of the oceans

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    The Squid, STCW262 and nomad ninga like this.
  11. nomad ninga

nomad ninga Star Wrangler

nice like this island a lot

12. General Nuclear

also there should also be island citys that are just a floting city but i'm not in the mood to draw that now

DraikNova likes this.
  13. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, that'd make sense for Hylotl villages.

14. General Nuclear

also there need to be volcanoes but that would probley block the way for bouts and swimmers but i don't care there still need to be volcanoes with poison gas puking out

15. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

That'd be a nice touch, especially if they generated in close-together clumps, where only the last island has an active volcano.

Also, it'd be nice if we had some sort of civilization that lived on the islands of poison ocean planets, since the only reason to go to one of those right now is the fishing collection. Bonus points if their dwellings extended downwards from the tops of islands to the bottom of said oceans.

16. oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

I like the large island and skyscraper ideas. As of now the ocean-type planets still feel really barren and lifeless, even with the occasional undersea city or island dwelling stragglers. Seeing more life on the surfaces of the planets would be a welcome change.

The only problem i'd personally have with islands extending down into the ocean is that it'd make ocean-floor exploring kind of a pain if they extend that far down.

17. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

Large abandoned factory on poison ocean planets? Where the acid rain obviously broke through important parts of the facility. Another can still be full of things, somewhat functioning. Except it's full of mutants/robots/unfinished robots/crazy workers/aliens. Even a fully working factory, workers constructing whatever, building bots. Some sentries on the outside, fighting off monsters. Though it could just be builder bots building MORE robots that are ROBOTS OF DEATH. Revival of Repairbot! Then, the latest technology used to create an acid rain proof building. People and more hordes of robots! Creating whatever the hell is useful on those planets! GIANT PIPES OF OIL GOING DOWN THROUGH THE ISLAND, LANDING ON THE OCEAN FLOOR, TO A HUGE POWER GENERATOR!

With large, ruined skyscrapers for the workers to live in! The new factories have dorms, so now those skyscrapers aren't needed anymore. One skyscraper could still be standing. Another can be tilted. One has fallen over completely, and it appears that there are ruins of a building deep beneath the poison waves. Coincidence? Probably.

18. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

I like it, those destroyed skyscrapers could also be used for the Scorched/Decayed biomes! Two buildings, one has fallen onto the other, Deadbeat people thrive in them, with shops built.

19. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

If, at the bottom of the sea floor, the island's blocks faded into the background to facilitate walking, I think that'd be a reasonable compromise of practicality and realism.

20. General Nuclear

starbound island consept.png
    another volcanic island consept