New Game Before the Next Update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MrRetrox, Apr 22, 2018.

1. MrRetrox

MrRetrox Space Hobo

Hello,

I took Stardew Valley yesterday (Switch) but I strongly hesitate to start a new game before the next update (1.3).
    Because I tell myself that if there are such and such a change that can change this or that part of the map, I might miss things.

That's it, I'd like to know if I can start a game now where I'm waiting for the release of the next update.

Thx in advance for answer me ^^

PS: Sry for my bad english ><

• BouncingCactus

BouncingCactus Big Damn Hero

At this point in time, the update for PC is tentatively assumed to hopefully be out sometimes next month. Consoles such as the Switch will get the update at some point after that, though we don't know when. If I were you, I would start playing now, as you don't know how long you'll have to wait. It could be months.

• Lorekeeper of Wyverns

Lorekeeper of Wyverns Void-Bound Voyager

I'd agree, I'd recommend starting to play now. While the update is (hopefully) being released soon, and while the Switch does get it earlier than other consoles (if I'm remembering correctly?), you'll still be waiting a little while for the game to be updated. Besides, if you ask me, it'll be worth getting familiar with the game as it is and enjoy seeing what changes with the update. I do understand your concerns about missing things, but really, you'll be familiar enough with the map soon enough that you'll quickly notice if something's changed, I think.

Really, it's up to you. This is just what I think If you want to experience it all at once, then hold off, but if you want to see the changes as they come, then start now.

• Clovis_Sangrail

Clovis_Sangrail Subatomic Cosmonaut

Go ahead and play it. Then, when the update comes, worst case scenario is that you get to play it again, but with the benefit of everything you learned in your first playthrough.

• Reneeisxena

Reneeisxena Big Damn Hero

I am on my 7th farm right now and I don't plan on waiting for the update. I have the PS4 and it could be late summer or fall before we get the update. The way I play I'm bound to start at least one more farm. I've never played the farm with the night monsters. Hmmmmm, maybe I should start again.

• Feathered Sparks

Feathered Sparks Big Damn Hero

Based on how updates have happened in the past and what CA's told us about this one, I doubt you'll really "miss" anything when the new update comes -- any new content should instead integrate into the game world at an appropriate time (for example, any new events will still show up once the conditions for the event are met). That being said, if you're like me and tend to get so into the story that you're worried about new content coming in at an "odd" time for your game or something, you could do what I do: start with a single first save file where you just play the game however you like and don't worry about new updates, and then hold off on starting or continuing any newer files until the update has come and you know what you want to do with the new content. This game is one that you can easily do several save files on by playing the game differently each time (such as by picking different farm types, focusing on different skills or marrying different people), especially if you make up characters for each farmer.

• Cramped Sultana

Cramped Sultana Big Damn Hero

I have a game on hold right now. My CC is complete, my farm is thriving, and Shane and I are expecting our first child. I'm leaving it as it is until the new update hits.

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Honestly? Go ahead and play the game. You've got at least a month before it releases on PC, slightly longer before it launches on the Switch (whose architecture makes releases stupidly easy), and probably 2-3 months after that for the other consoles. That's plenty enough time to enjoy it for the first time. Relax, don't worry about 'optimal' yet, just get into the game and enjoy it for what it is.

Unless they release early-game only content (which I really don't see happening, generally you don't ever lose access to doing anything just because you have advanced), you won't 'miss out' on anything. And if they do, you can always just start a new game, build upon what you learned playing through the first time, and come at it more experienced. I really see no downside to playing the game before the update launches.

• SelfmadeMS13

SelfmadeMS13 Aquatic Astronaut

Ppl will probably Pop up Now ans tell you the Update is Coming soon.

Bs! Thats what they've been telling for a whole Year Now. Got my Game sold at gamestop for a astonishing 2.50€ and I'd recommend you to do so too!. Tired of this, whenever you ask about the Update in this forums ppl go on shitting you and developers dont Really Share on their progress so Im not actually Sure that Update will be launched this Year so...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
                    • Clovis_Sangrail

Clovis_Sangrail Subatomic Cosmonaut

Wow. You act like they owe it to you.

laurav, Fuzzyman and BentFX like this.
                      • SelfmadeMS13

SelfmadeMS13 Aquatic Astronaut

They were almost like Advertising the game with that Update which was the Main reason for me to buy the Game back then so...Yes, i felt somehow scammed. At least got 2.50€ back which I immediatly spend on 2 Cheeseburgers at McDonald's and that gave me more pleasure than the Game itself.

• laurav

laurav Tentacle Wrangler

Not sure why you're here if you're so disapproving. :( Hope you enjoyed your cheeseburgers though!

To go back to the original purpose of the topic, I wasn't sure about starting a new farm before the 1.3 update either... Until we bought a Switch yesterday! Now I have a forest farm and I'm playing as a female this time (usually I enjoy creating characters of the opposite sex). I'm really enjoying it! I think just do what you want to do. The new update is going to offer so much that I'm guessing a lot of unfinished farms will end up being left to the wayside in exchange for new ones! :p

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
                          • ladymurasaki

ladymurasaki Star Wrangler

I really didn't expect much from a $10 game developed by One Guy. Didn't really try to find things on the internet about this game but ended up picking it up last Xmas with a Switch so I had something to play at work. Haven't stopped playing for 5 months now. This is the epitome of garage game development that turned into a huge hit.

It's surprisingly playable, interesting mechanics, some dumb stuff, not perfect by any means but it's a perfect time-suck with all the addictive elements that keeps us RPGers going.

That's all I ask for from an indie game that cost less than lunch. Upgrade, whatever...I can wait.

Dokka, Reneeisxena and laurav like this.