1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Nemesis/Most Used Item stats

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by mageblood, Dec 25, 2013.

1. mageblood

mageblood Big Damn Hero

After searching through the 13 pages of suggestions, I did not see anything related to this. Then again, I didn't actually go into each and every thread, only looked at the title and hovered over it to see the starting text of the post. Anyway, I have noticed my save file gradually increasing in size. I checked the file and it's the Nemesis and Most Used Item stats, as the title says. To be more precise, arch_enemy_list and use_list are the exact names in the file. It's not that big of a deal, really, but it does seem rather inefficient to keep adding to the list, making the file size increase indefinitely. After deleting these two entries, in hopes of it resetting those stats, saving the changes (doing this did take off about 5kb of data) and returning to the game, it decided to load the backup and re-save the data. Another thing, the two stats don't seem to save properly (assuming nemesis is the enemy that has killed you the most, and most used item is rather self-explanatory). For example, my stats say my nemesis is the magma worm, yet I know I have died many more times by basic enemies like the jellyfish, advanced lemurians, bison, and mechanical spiders far more than the magma worms or overloading magma worms. My most used item, due to one of my 760+ minute runs, should say Shield Generator, but instead says Captain's Brooch (which I will admit, I have used it many times, but not like Shield Generator).

What I would suggest, if at all possible, would be an option to clear/reset specific stat data. As stated before, it isn't that big of a deal, but it does (slightly) bother me by making the file size unnecessarily large.

On a slightly unrelated note, what is everyone's worst enemy and best use item (both by preference, not save data)?

• needsomemiracle

needsomemiracle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've noticed that the stats page says my most used item is the Sawmarang, even though it's obviously not true. I've used it a lot in the first dozen or so games, but haven't been getting it much at all since then. And yeah, Magma Worm for Nemesis for me too, and far from reality.
      I think at some point the game simply stops either collecting this data, or updating it on the stats page.

• mageblood

mageblood Big Damn Hero

If it keeps increasing the file size for those two stats alone, it still collects data. However, not updating it after a certain point does seem possible. Too much data for it to load and stops. Hopefully someone can help explain or give information how to reset those stats.

• leonvision

leonvision Subatomic Cosmonaut

can i ask how big your save.ini actually is? cuz ive played for 50hrs, died about 60~70 times, and my save.ini is only 7kb. so even if it does increase the more you play the game, i dont think it's an issue, since it's so small anyway.

• needsomemiracle

needsomemiracle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

6.25 KB in my folder, 58 hours in.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
            • Neoji

Neoji Seal Broken

I'm at 118 hours via steam or 3604:29 via in game my nemesis is the Parent most used item is Stop Watch but I know for a fact I use Foreign Fruits more my save file is only at 7 kb.

• meow247

meow247 Pangalactic Porcupine

im not so sure but i think if you delete the numbers after '=' it might recollect data again
                [​IMG]
                my nemesis is lemurian:laugh: and i forgot what the use item is

• mageblood

mageblood Big Damn Hero

Just barely under 8kb with 100 hours. The real point is that saving the data like this seems very inefficient and unnecessary, plus I would like to clear that out and actually get proper information from it once more. Since it keeps adding to the data, it could potentially become large enough to make the game load (very slightly) slower and possibly have save errors/corruptions. The only way I could think of to get rid of it would be to remove your save and backup completely.

Tried deleting the entire section, tried deleting everything after the '=' and even tried replacing all of the numbers with a single 0. None of it worked, it went and loaded the backup, saving the previous number it was.

• meow247

meow247 Pangalactic Porcupine

create a backup of the backup file > delete the numbers after '=' in the copy of backup
                    if it doesnt work then load the backup of original backup

• leonvision

if you told me yesterday that ill be hearing people complain about save files being too unnecessaily large that's 8kb, i would've called you crazy.

besides, you say it's "unnecessary" to store data for EACH kill and item use, but it's something that's needed to get an accurate statistic, unless they change it to an array and have each and every item and monster on it, and have that monitor kills and uses of each monster and item. (but yea, the fact is continues collecting data but stop reteiving them needs fixing)

as for it having the potential to slow down the game loading, even you said "very slightly", it's most likely so slightly you wouldnt notice it.

• mageblood

mageblood Big Damn Hero

I even tried that, just didn't mention before, it ended up loading/creating a completely clean save with nothing unlocked. Somehow you can't modify that without it having some problem (as far as I know/have tested).

I understand what you are saying, but I'm sure there is a more efficient way of storing the data, like you said with an array (hated arrays so much in my Video Game Design and Java classes, but they are useful). Using an array, I assume, would cut the file size down quite a bit. Another idea would be to separate each one, a stat for lemurian deaths, a stat for wisp deaths, a stat for jellyfish deaths, and so on doing the same for use items. Of course, that could possibly take up even more space than what it is now, but I haven't tested that, nor would I really want to.
                        Anyway, if one was to play long enough, dying and using items enough times to increase the size to a few hundred kb, maybe even up to a mb, I'm sure there would be at least some sort of slow down more than just "very slight", but that would take quite a long time. As stated before, the length of the data could be too long already, that the game just stops reading it and posts your nemesis and most used item up to whatever point it stops at.
                        Nonetheless, the data saving could be more efficient and accurate. This is simply a suggestion with ideas of fixing. As such, using the monster log data in the same file could be used for the monster death array, same for the item log.

• leonvision

it could be more efficient, that i can agree with.

as for the array being more efficient, the concept of array wouldnt necessarily make it smaller than it is now, but it WILL NOT increase in size ever, whereas the current one does, after every death and item use(granted it increases not by much).

then again, even if it hits 1mb, is NOTHING in this day and age. and all of us, between playtime of 50 to 120hrs are still at 7~8kb, less than 1% of a mb. and no, every 50hrs of gametime does not equal another 7kb, incase someone wants to bring this up.

• mageblood

mageblood Big Damn Hero

Some people don't have that good of computers. Only good enough to run a game, but often with lag. This may be somewhat simple of a game, but it can take up RAM with all the effects, and it does often slow down.

• leonvision

are we really gonna continuing arguing 1mb is gonna LAG someone's computer?

my computer is pretty out dated as well, the game lags in the last stage, but im most certain it's not because of how save data is stored on the computer.