Modding Help Need help - Implement new recipes for vanilla items

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by aMannus, Dec 9, 2013.

1. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

Alright, I'm basically trying to make a spawning table for my CreativeMode mod. This would allow people to 'craft' vanilla items through this table for the cost of one pixel.

Problem is, I can't find out a way of making my own custom recipe for this already existing item, without editing these vanilla recipes.
    For example, I want to make a recipe for a stone furnace, using my own spawning table as it's group, but I want the vanilla recipe to remain untouched.

I already have an item in learning you the blueprints for my custom items, and it works perfectly. Those are for a different custom table as well. Problem is, I can't seem to do this to vanilla items without fiddling with either the vanilla recipes or make this 'unlocking item' ONLY unlock my own custom recipes.

I've tried making my own recipe and calling it something completely different and make the unlock item unlock that specific name. It did show the message 'Blueprint unlocked' but it still doesn't show the item in my spawning table. Also tried making the unlock available through the player.config (even though I don't want to do this, but it was for testing) and that didn't work either.

Same happens when I just make a .recipe file with the same name as the vanilla recipe. Although, even if this worked, it would be pointless, because then the player would learn the vanilla recipe alongside my custom recipe, which is something I'm trying to avoid.

tl:dr: Does anyone know how to make a custom recipe for a vanilla item, without touching existing recipes, and make the player ONLY learn the custom recipe?

2. SethKipz

SethKipz Aquatic Astronaut

With the way it works now I'm pretty sure you'll just have to make an exact copy of the item with a different internal name and have it unlock that.

3. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

I was afraid of that. The problem is, I'm trying to make atleast 100 items possible. Recreating so many items is just a pain in the ass. It's even worse for items like a furnace, or any other items used in other crafting recipes.

The only way around it that I've found so far is making a custom item available and make a smelting recipe. Which again, would be super tedious and just not worth the effort for 100 items, let alone more.

Anyone that has any ideas? I really want this to work, but right now, it seems impossible.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  4. Toast_Storm

Toast_Storm Space Penguin Leader

This is what your looking for right? If so I can explain afterwards, the reclaimer is my custom crafting table btw that I bent to my will :p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

aMannus likes this.
  5. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

That is exactly what I'm looking for. I would kill someone for an explanation.

EDIT: Now I'm looking through your mod how you did it. If you want to explain it without me sifting through files, I would not stop you. :D

6. Toast_Storm

Okay, first off, let me just say that to make the above happen I edited none of the vanilla files, so worries there are gone!
    The way the unlocking system works is a bit odd, I'll use the stone furnace here as an example. When unlocking things, the game does a quick check to see if that item has already been unlocked, in this case, this is a starting item, so ANY recipe that results in making a stone furnace will be unlocked, so there's no need to try and unlock it. Plus it shouldn't alter the base recipe (there was even a bug in the game recently where you could craft bone blocks from two different recipes i believe).
    Then what I did was add it to the group of my custom crafting table and only allow my custom table to make items from that group. Though it sounds like you already know most of this stuff.
    More often than not, when I been pulling my hair out about crafting not working, theres a problem with the recipe file, silly things like commas and speech marks.

Still if your still having issues, I'll be happy to upload my changes and my table there I just edited so you can change the names and such to fit your one!

aMannus likes this.
  7. Toast_Storm

Oh the key fact I left out by mistake: that unlocking looks for the output item names and ignores the recipe name entirely, that one got me for quite a while!

aMannus likes this.
  8. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

This is something I didn't know. I wasn't sure if the game checked for the filename of a certain item or just the output of a certain item within those files. So you're saying it's the second. This is both good and bad in my scenario. I'm trying to make my recipes available only on my own crafting table. For example, I'm making Durasteel bars available in my crafting. If I do that, if I understand it right, the vanilla recipe for durasteel will also be unlocked on the metalwork station (or whatever, don't remember what crafting station it's at) alongside my own custom recipe for my custom table.

Yeah, this isn't really my problem. My custom table is working perfectly fine with producing custom items I've put in the game, no worries there.

That's alright, I should be able to replicate what you've done with yours based upon the Reclaimer files you have there. Now it's just a matter of trying this out with this new information and see if I can make it fit within my own idea.

If you don't mind I'm going to sift through your files a bit more and will try to make this work myself. Seriously a major thanks to you though, this will save me a massive headache.

Hah, I figured that out as I said in the first quote. That didn't really make sense to me either before you explained it.

9. Toast_Storm

Yea I honestly don't think you can stop unlocking from unlocking all of a same item, and creating a new item thats identical bar the name is a real pain, but then again, if this is a create everything in the game sort of mod, I'm not entirely sure why unlocking these on the other crafting tables is any worry, they would still need the relevant crafting table and sector, which you would have to still beat the boss to progress for.

And no worries! I'm always happy to share what I've learnt so far. :D

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  10. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

Yeah, this was more of a personal thing I wanted to have in and got sort of obsessed with. I'm trying to make everything in the mod as modular as possible so players have the choice about how they go about it. For example, I have a custom sector unlock item for each sector, items that either unlock all tech at once or one tech at a time, and will be introducing unlock items for each crafting tier as well. I guess I just need to drop that for the spawning table and just make a different unlocking item just for the spawning table, and putting in a warning message that it'll unlock all the crafting recipes for normal gameplay as well.

Also, I've got it to work. And you know what, the only thing I did different this time was that I included the same kind of filepath you were using, as in: CreativeMode\spawningtable\recipes\spawningtable. No clue why it suddenly works, but honestly, I'm not touching it again and am just going to celebrate it actually works. You sir, are my god for a day. Maybe two.

[​IMG]

11. Toast_Storm

No worries, once you hit this point it's mostly just copy and pasting and smooth sailing. :D
    Safe Modding!