1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help! Game Crashes Computer!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PKnuckles, Nov 11, 2013.

1. PKnuckles

PKnuckles Space Hobo

I posted a similar thread earlier, but I thought I'd post a more detailed one now since it didn't turn up much. After 5-15 minutes of gameplay, the screen will turn grey, and a few second later the music will cut out and be replaced with a dull buzzing. At this point I can't do anything (task manager/exit the program) and I'm forced to restart my computer. I can't finish a single game unless I save and quit after the first level. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Specs are below, since someone told me I should post them. If I've missed anything important, let me know.

Windows 7 64-bit Operating System
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.30GHz
    Installed Memory (RAM): 8.00 GB
    Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series

P.S: I'm pretty sure it isn't overheating; the tower is clean inside and the fans are all working, and the basement is cold.

• Burby

Burby Phantasmal Quasar

I have heard issues with certain GPUs before in relation to Game Maker, which is what this game was made in. I can't tell for sure if this would be the case with the card you use, but it might be worth looking into.

• Daimon

Daimon Space Hobo

I have similar problem. Though sometimes I can play as long as I die, but this is quite rarely have gotten to play about 4 longer games (over 60 minutes). Anyway it seems to me that the problem is that the graphics card crashes and thus crashes the whole computer and restart is the only available option.

I have had this problem at first version and also both 1.0.0 and 1.0.1

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
        Graphics card: ASUS EAH6970 Series

• hammerfight

hammerfight Space Hobo

I'm noticing not just AMD, but specifically the HD 6900 series? i got a 6950 myself and this crash hits me at seemingly completely random, very frustrating as it decided to crash like this right when i was snowballing hard on my first Huntress playthrough last night:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
          Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
          Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series
          Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
          Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1124 (English)
          Driver Version: 9.12.0.0

i've heard that AMD drivers tend not to work so well, and i got this crash more often before i updated to Catalyst 13.1 a few weeks ago (control panel can't open for some reason), but this is the only game crashing my video card atm, so i'm not going to play RoR in the marathon sessions i was previously as i'll just start getting pissed at it

• nabbed

nabbed Tentacle Wrangler

I have a 6990 gpu and my game crashes almost instantly.
            I can't remember the last time any game crashed on this computer. Usually stuff just works.
            My computer is like a litmus test for a buggy game vs. a user error.

• nabbed

nabbed Tentacle Wrangler

Bump,
              would appreciate a developer response...
              Thanks.

• TZer0

TZer0 Master Chief

I've had similar on a HD 5870.

Game would glitch out in different ways, screen would get some flickering effects (like.. 20 pixels missing for one frame) after closing game and a few other things.

This seems to go away when running the game as admin.

nabbed likes this.
                • nabbed

nabbed Tentacle Wrangler

Thanks. Running as admin stopped the crashes.