WIP Need help from portrait modders! (also, dialogue modders come take a look)

Discussion in 'Mods' started by OrSpeeder, Apr 2, 2016.

1. OrSpeeder

OrSpeeder Phantasmal Quasar

For now yes...

I plan in seeing if I can add to future APIs.

I don't plan in putting this on STORM.

It can't be done without a modding API (so no pure xnb version)

• Deekkru

Deekkru Void-Bound Voyager

Ah, makes sense. I was more worried about not being able to run SMAPI on a mac, but I just found a solution tonight. :)

Do you have a timeframe for when the mod will be released? With or w/o pictures?

• OrSpeeder

I am trying to release the first version this weeking... Kinda hard though, because I am also trying to see if I can get an advacne in my contract to buy parts I need to keep my PC running :/ (if PC die then I can't mod anyway...)

ebaekim likes this.
        • ebaekim

ebaekim Void-Bound Voyager

This is pretty much the image you painted in my head.

[​IMG]

Good luck! Keep us posted! :)

• OrSpeeder

Yeah, that is pretty much my life right now...

It is amazing how this situation can make a completely normal and boring life very exciting.

• OrSpeeder

haleytestupset.png

By the way ebae, all your files has some artifacts, like leftover white areas... but aside from that, awesome result :)

Cerius, Cimeni, ebaekim and 2 others like this.
              • Deekkru

That looks amazing!

Sorry to hear about your computer troubles. I wish I could afford to donate to this project! You really deserve something for your wonderful mods. :/

• OrSpeeder

In a way you people should be happy too :p

I started modding SDV because the previous mod projects I was doing can't be tested now (I was modding SimCity 4 and StarSector, but one of the symptons of my computer problems, is that launching any of these 2 games cause a BSOD... for some reason SDV doesn't BSOD, so SDV is the only game I know that I can play that won't BSOD... "only" sort of, Super Hexagon also works fine)

• ebaekim

Mmm... *__* Also I'll look into the artifacts and fix them. As is that really her expression when you give her weeds? :rofl:

• OrSpeeder

It looks like... I will check later what hte game is doing to map each expression to what.

• Deekkru

I was curious about that too, but I can't figure out why it's choosing that particular expression. Gift responses are dictated by the NPCGiftTastes file, and that particular response has no expression indicated. There's very few expressions coded in to the gift tastes, actually. So either I'm missing something, or the code that covers the general "happy face for liked gifts, angry face for disliked" is somewhere else.

Speaking of which, I checked NPCDispositions, ObjectInformation, portraits, dialogue, character files, anywhere that seemed related to expressions or items, and still couldn't find anything.

• OrSpeeder

I commented earlier on the thread, expressions are some special character combinations in the dialogue text. :)

• Deekkru

I know, but there's nothing in the gift tastes file to specify an expression for most of the reactions. I maybe saw an $h or two, and there was a $u#$e# for a two-part reaction (I think it was Evelyn's), and that's it. "Ugh...that's such a stupid gift." didn't have anything after it.

That being said, I did just read that certain dialogue is hard-coded into the source, so maybe this is too? (Not that I actually know what that means. My modding knowledge is limited to messing around with Starbound chickens and changing some dialogue and graphics in Stardew.)
                            http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/anyone-know-which-file-contains-this-dialogue.108013/

Edit: Here's Haley's reactions. Dialogue and item #s, but no expression text.
                            Haley: " Oh my god, this is my favorite thing!!/221 421 610 88/*gasp*...for me? Thank you!/18 60 62 64 70 88 222 223 232 233 234 402 418/Ugh...that's such a stupid gift./-5 -6 -75 -79 -81 80 -27/Gross!/-4 2 16 330 74/Thank you. I love presents.// " #!String​

• OrSpeeder

The "generic" dialog reactions are on the source code, yes. It is how I discovered you can add reactions to characters that don't have them (like the adventurer guy, he has only 1 expression, but if modders add more, I expect them to work with generic gift dialogues)

• ebaekim

Let me know if these ones have artifacts too. Thanks! :)

abigail.png haley.png

IronZelly and Deekkru like this.
                                • Deekkru

Ah, that's neat that there's the opportunity to expand the reactionless characters. It'd be nice to add a little more development to some of the background faces. How did you even find that bit of code in all the millions of files? (No really, do you know where it is? I want to go look at it and pretend I know what things mean.)

Ebae, your portraits look amazing, btw! Haley has never been cuter. <3

ebaekim likes this.
                                  • about drew

about drew Phantasmal Quasar

I was actually working on some "Faithful" higher-resolution portraits before I saw this mod thread. I thought I would work on the art first and figure out the coding later on, but if you already have it down that's amazing.

Here's the [link] to the thread where I'm posting updates as I work on them.

Also, ebaekim's portraits are adorable. I love them!

ebaekim likes this.
                                    • Simmili

Simmili Void-Bound Voyager

no updates for this amazing project since April?! D':

• inktho

inktho Aquatic Astronaut

hopefully this project revives once your computer problems are resolved! the ability to have higher res portraits would be rly nice, even for pixel art

Zalkyria likes this.
                                        • Zalkyria

Zalkyria Existential Complex

I really hope this comes back soon because I would have liked to have some HD portraits of my own.