WIP Need help from portrait modders! (also, dialogue modders come take a look)

Discussion in 'Mods' started by OrSpeeder, Apr 2, 2016.

1. OrSpeeder

OrSpeeder Phantasmal Quasar

I saw on Nexus mods some cool portraits that obviously the artist had to downscale to fit the game resolution and ended looking rather bad, so I coded a mod to allow 4x resolution portraits (256x256, instead of the game 64x64)

Here is the result (using a random image from the fan art forum)

[​IMG]

Features:

• Portraits in high resolution
    • No need to meddle with XNB files, the mod accept PNG files
    • Artists and players can make and install portraits for individual characters, or packs of portraits
    • Support adding portraits for new characters made by modders
    • Support adding more portraits to existing characters, including adding the normal range of facial expression for characters lacking those (Marlon for example)
    • Support to add more portraits to react special dialogue commands (for example event reactions)
    • No need to override or edit any of the game files.

Still, I am only the programmer, not a artist, and I didn't want to ship the mod "empty", with all portraits being the game normal ones, this would make people not even know if the mod installed correctly or not, thus I need for artists to volunteer to make the initial portrait pack to come with the mod, after I get those, then I will publish the mod for people to download and use.

So any volunteers?

お茶Mi's, inktho, foghorn and 14 others like this.
    • Nahogani

Nahogani Void-Bound Voyager

There is an artist on DeviantArt who is making really beautiful images and had mentioned making mods in her comments. Maybe get in contact with her? Here is her page: http://davidmccartney.deviantart.com

• MrIce

MrIce Subatomic Cosmonaut

WHAT

sirwoof likes this.
        • OrSpeeder

I tried to contact her on Youtube, because DeviantArt is acting up for me (it logs in, but when I click to send a message it logs out again :( )

No reply yet... I dunno if she will even see it :(

EDIT: tried again after disabling all extensions, managed to publish some random comments on her pages, lets see if she notices. (DeviantArt seemly really hates my browser :/)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
          • Nahogani

I am sorry, I didn't realize you were having issues with DeviantArt or I would have offered to poke her for you. I hope you manage to locate someone as this looks incredibly cool!

• ebaekim

ebaekim Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah, I'd definitely be interested! How do I sign up? :)

Nahogani likes this.
              • OrSpeeder

I will paste here the "usage instructions for modders"

The portraits must be organized in a sprite sheet, with any layout as long there are no gaps, and all portraits are 256x256 pixels.

The order of the emotions, from left to right, then top to down, are:

1. Dialog command $neutral (or no command), neutral stance.
                2. Dialog command $h, happy stance.
                3. Dialog command $s, sad stance.
                4. Dialog command $u, "unique" stance.
                5. Dialog command $l, love stance.
                6. Dialog command $a, angry stance.
                7. Dialog command $number, renders the position with "number" starting at 0.

Leah example:

She has the 6 standard poses, with "unique" being the same as "neutral", plus she has as pose "$6" (if you count from 0) a shocked pose, that happens during an event, pose "$7", a unconfortable but playful smile, that happens in another scene, and as pose "$8" herself holding a phone.

Marlon example:

In the unmodded game he has only his "neutral" pose, meaning he can't make any facial expressions, but if you create the 6 standard expressions, he will be able to react to gifts properly (for example show a angry face if you give a gift he hates), and modders can add dialogue for him that use facial expressions.

SimplyDoge, ebaekim and XaviiKinz like this.
                • EmmaLVV

EmmaLVV Space Spelunker

This looks amazing! I can't wait to see if any modders get behind this :D

• zydaline

zydaline Space Hobo

Perhaps you can try contacting this artist too:

http://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/32/?

It looks like they scaled down the concept art version of their portraits, so they might have hi-res versions of them lying about somewhere.

• taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

I don't think anyone would want my artstyle for SDV or else I'd help. Idk, decide for yourself. I'm super down with all art and can do which digital stuff but love pretending to be punk rock with traditional medium.

Especially the word/dialouge/opinion and think pieces

http://Instagram.com/taintedwheat
                      http://z0mbeh-cakes.deviantart.com <<<hella old but it has my portfolio from drawing for one of the best, if not the best community college papers in the U.S.

Edit: my fucking shitty, lazy wip of a website:
                      Http://exe-girl.com

• OrSpeeder

Atually I started the mod after seeing those portraits :p

But I don't found out how to contact that artist yet!

• Nahogani

http://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/users/1764361/?

You can message them via the nexus website here. I can poke about to see if I can find them elsewhere.

• OrSpeeder

Thanks! Sent a message to that guy!

Also, Deviant Art artist replied and asked how it works :) Lets see what will come out here!

XaviiKinz and Nahogani like this.
                            • Cimeni

Cimeni Phantasmal Quasar

Loving this already. Especially since I'll be able to use .png instead of .xnb -- that'll make my life a lot easier. Been working on a surprise gift for a friend and wanted to switch out the characters in the game with characters of the novel we're working on, haaaa...

Hoping this is released soon *-*

• ebaekim

So here's the portrait for Abigail. What next? :'D

abigail.png

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
                                • OrSpeeder

Whoa, awesome, I will see to implement it ASAP :)

dollbae, XaviiKinz and ebaekim like this.
                                  • Cerius

Cerius Void-Bound Voyager

Would you be willing to release it before having everyone's portraits for people willing to trial it with their own images? I can't wait for this and would be willing to test it for you especially since no one else seems to have made progress in this department.
                                    (Also may be able to make some portrait I'll see how much time I have)

• OrSpeeder

Of course, if I wait until all characters have portraits by all artists it will take 2 years!

• ebaekim

And also Haley!
                                        haley.png

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
                                        • Deekkru

Deekkru Void-Bound Voyager

Ohoho, now here's a mod I can't wait to get my hands on! The ability to add my own high-res portraits would be absolutely AMAZING.

Will this be a SMAPI only mod then?

Vixxi likes this.