Modding Discussion Need dev console/cheats for Debugging!

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by CiberX15, Dec 17, 2013.

1. CiberX15

CiberX15 Big Damn Hero

So a lot of people have asked for cheats or a developer console to be added/enabled and generally the counter argument is that it ruins the game balance and the experience the developers want the player to experience. I am not going to go to that argument but instead bring up a more important reason for needing a development console.

For those of us who are building mods, having a development console would SIGNIFICANTLY increase our productivity and ability to well, develop. At the moment I am trying to create a gun set mod. for each one I have to test it in game several times to make sure that the bullet fires from the right spot and the avatar is holding the right end.

We have all watched the devs do this, in fact some were lucky enough to see one of the devs literally programming the drills the other day. Make a change, start game, spawn item, test, and repeat. The problem is we can't do that as easily. In my case I have to hack together a fake crafting recipe so I can craft all my weapons at the start of the game for one pixel. It's a clunky way of getting it done and requires the creation of several files that might otherwise be completely unnecessary.

Altogether I think adding the dev console back to the game would be a huge help to the modding community, which could easily out-weigh any negatives from the few people who might want to misuse it.

2. Cognitive

Cognitive Astral Cartographer

Well, as a temporary 'substitute' for a "developer console" you can use the current API: https://gist.github.com/jordoh/7864154

world.logInfo() (found at line 456 if you'd like to see notes on it)

3. lordfirefox

lordfirefox Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I second this. I'm trying to make some unique guns for my mod and I'm having problems figuring out why they're not showing up and a debugging console would help to see what's not getting run in my scripts.