My own take on dateable characters (Dev update 12)

Discussion in 'Fan Works' started by GnomeBoy, Nov 16, 2013.

1. GnomeBoy

GnomeBoy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I noticed some comments expressing concern that the dateable characters have stereotypical looks and interests. I don't understand why that is a problem, and think that the identities are fun. So this post is me having fun with the idea of less stereotypical characters...

Rossel

1.gif

Rossel is a common man probably. He could be into movies I guess. Some music might make him want to dance. He also could have played football and sustained multiple concussions, causing brain injuries and shortening his life expectancy 10-40 years. If you marry him maybe he would teach you a skill? I dunno.

"D"
    2.gif

D is a letter near the beginning of the alphabet. Black shoes, blue marks on shirt or blouse. Potential life partner. Could have something unique or interesting to share if you marry D, consider it?

Adam
    3.gif

Adam is wearing a hat, this tells you something about him but at the same time I think it raises a lot of questions. What is wrong with a bald head? Thats one question, maybe you could think of others. If you spend lots of time with Adam maybe he will tell you why his hat looks strange in the top right, maybe he will tell you if its a hat for work, play, or pleasure. Maybe it's a sports hat??? Marry Adam and have a frisbee partner for life (Adam likes frisbees).

Bobo
    4.gif

Is Bobo a nickname? Skateboard? Marry this man with strange hair to find out!

Suze
    5.gif

Do you think Suze is short for Susan? Then Suze is probably our first woman so far. Maybe Suze likes art, but she won't express that in really any way so you should probably chat with her a lot if you want to find out. If Suze is outside without a coat on a rainy day that might say something about her personality and you might want to think about asking her why she would do that. Marry Suze for her wealth?

Bobbie/Bobby
    6.gif

I'm assuming that those are brown pants tucked into large pink boots, and I think the hair looks like a style a woman might wear? Bob is probably a woman by the seemingly feminine qualities of her/his appearance? I bet if you marry Bob you will find out though.

shakey2 likes this.
    • ImmortalFrog

ImmortalFrog Oxygen Tank

Is same gender marriage a thing?

heinermann likes this.
      • GnomeBoy

Yeah of course!

heinermann and ImmortalFrog like this.
        • oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

I didn't notice much stereotyping.

Kairon156 likes this.
          • Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

This looks the same... err....

Maybe your sprites ought to be a bit more reworked?

GnomeBoy likes this.
            • GnomeBoy

Wouldn't want them to fall into some sort of stereotypical image though!!! ;)

shakey2 likes this.
              • Witness

Witness Giant Laser Beams

I appreciate your attempt at both originality and comedy (as I am aware you didn't make this list seriously) and I wish you further improvement, however, I do have some issues with this list.

Redundancy and crudeness may be as bad - if not worse - as stereotypical image. While you didn't make stereotypical characters, in a way you've made them so vague and rough that they cannot even achieve a stereotype, yet alone originality. You refer briefly to their experiences and looks (if at all, some of them don't even get that), give suggestions of what player can do.. but you didn't really describe their personality, goals, attitude etc

Maybe try again after putting some more effort some other time and it'll be more amusing. Still, it's nice you wanted to try.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
                • Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

Try to put yourself in that characters shoes for a couple days, that always helps me flesh out a character. :)

ImmortalFrog likes this.
                  • ImmortalFrog

ImmortalFrog Oxygen Tank

Hajime Isayama must have a hard time.

oath2order likes this.
                    • oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

I can't image how George R.R. Martin does that :rofl:

Jonesy and ImmortalFrog like this.
                      • Angua

Angua Space Hobo

For me, argument that there is no good alternative to cliches was muddled by logical fallacies and I found the result insulting rather than humorous. I think that characters are lacking, and forgive me because my comments will sound hostile typed up on the screen, but I have no hostile intent. The characters feel like highschool students to me, like they are described in the one dimensional way that highschoolers often think of each other and with highschool interests. I can't care about or empathize with these characters.

Edit: I reread my post and wanted to soften it a bit by adding that, regardless of my objections about the characters or dialog so far, I love the concept of the game and the art, and the updates have looked great to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2013
                          Raeden likes this.
                        • Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

Stereotypes are without depth.

We do not always need someone who is specially "unique", but it is nice to have people who are unique, as well as someone who those are rather simple, yet complex enough to slightly avoid being a stereotype.

Think back to high school, I'm sure you can remember at least 1 or 2 stereotypes you've met. They exist, and theres no denying that. I honestly couldn't call certain bacheolorettes stereotypes, just characters with a single trait.

• damianfatale

damianfatale Space Hobo

No.. no no no no no no I love my Sebastian and you're not taking him away. -huffs- If anything you lack characterization in your art,and they embrace the typical male with short hair, who doesn't care about his appearance vibe. Your pixel art looks like you ripped off a child's drawing and converted it to pixels, in short it is not good. If you can't make a better character yourself, then please do not comment.

• Dunto

Dunto Guest

If you can't give constructive feedback on someone else's work, you should not be commenting either (the quality of image and child's drawing bits were unnecessary).

(Not to mention that this thread's last reply is 2013 so no one is likely to be interested in this topic any more.)