1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback My mixed reactions with the new npc behaviors...

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Shadow Wolf TJC, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Shadow Wolf TJC

Shadow Wolf TJC Spaceman Spiff

With the release of the Glad Giraffe update, I'm now torn on whether to consider the npcs to be formidable opponents or total pushovers, though I'm leaning more towards the latter.

On one hand, the npcs that carry shields seem to be pretty good at closing the distance towards ranged attackers (which is, coincidentally, my preferred playstyle). Without a plan of attack, and a nice selection of equipment to choose from, dealing with these enemies could be quite problematic.

However, on the other hand, it seems as if ranged npcs have a VERY difficult time tracking moving targets. They take too long to aim (almost a full second), and they seem to stop tracking their targets about half-a-second before opening fire, which makes dodging their shots quite easy, especially if you jump alot. (It also makes them have difficulties shooting at pretty much anything that moves, including flying enemies like Ignomes, or wall-climbing enemies like Pulpins, unless they were moving straight towards or away from the npcs in question.) Even if they never stopped tracking their targets, about half of a second is usually enough time for me to duck into cover.

Also, it seems as if hammer-wielding npcs will only start winding up for their swings when they move within range of their targets. If the target moves out of range, then they'll stop winding up their swings, and try to move within range of the target before trying again. This makes the hammer-wielding mutants within the later stages of the Erchius Mining Facility mission much less threatening than before, and I'm afraid that no amount of damage, health, or armor-buffing will save them from mediocrity, as I can just keep backing away from them as I shoot them in the face.

DwerpyHuvs and The | Suit like this.
  2. AlmostSober

AlmostSober Aquatic Astronaut

Actually, I've found the easiest (and sort of most hilarious) form of combat is with any ranged unit (without an arc or shotgun) is to just... crouch.
    Hold down and pull out a pistol or another weak gun, possibly a weak damage gun that deals fire or poison damage.
    Most creatures that do shoot have arc'd shots, so they're relatively difficult to dodge personally, while anything with a gun is really easy, unless on a slope.

Now, melee users, except the hammer units you mentioned, seemed daunting at times with the heavy damage dealt, but I can hold a healing item in one hand and a weapon in the other so...
    No real loss. lol
    I also agree with the shield users, as they are difficult to fight before endgame staffs are available.
    When the shield breaks/goes does they come rushing in with their fast weapons and that's sort of scary. :rofl:

But since most other units don't have that sort of 'uh-oh' combat, since medical supplies are incredibly OP, maybe a small cooldown between each usage would make them more difficult?

Shadow Wolf TJC likes this.
  3. Shadow Wolf TJC

Shadow Wolf TJC Spaceman Spiff

I'm actually considering developing a minor mod that would improve the AI's competence in ranged combat (and possibly using a hammer as well).

4. doombotmecha

doombotmecha Void-Bound Voyager

of note: this also affects colony guards as well, due to the numerous short melee chargers (those lil landshark things spring to mind) it can be pretty difficult for my guards to gun things down.

Shadow Wolf TJC likes this.