Building/Ship My Builds

Discussion in 'Screenshots' started by whitejpg, Feb 19, 2016.

1. whitejpg

whitejpg Subatomic Cosmonaut

So I'm working on a settlement on Starbound and was looking for some feedback and\or constructive criticism
    (I'm not an experienced builder, I use a large plethora of mods and pretty much 98% of this build was in admin and with a "cheat" mod oops)

Multipurpose workshop
    Screenshot (70).png

This is a cute lil area :casper:
    Screenshot (73).png

Vertical Farm + Overly aesthetic Wood Farm
    2016-02-19 (1).png

I want to finish housing and tweak a few things to make things more homely before I spawn colonists :3

If you have any questions or suggestions I'll be happy to hear them :badger:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    Kirumaru, The Squid, Breakout and 6 others like this.
  2. Littleman88

Littleman88 Big Damn Hero

You're a better interior decorater than I am. I ask myself how I can make the inside look good, only to end up painting the whole back wall with wooden blanks and a random window. *Headdesk* We need to be able to craft more blocks, rather than steal it. I know they're NPCs, but I can't help but feel guilty...

3. whitejpg

I find the best way to handle builds in general is to just experiment with different styles until you find something you like

I agree there needs to be more craftable block types since big builds can become rather tedious at times with having to steal blocks but I don't think the NPC's will mind :hylotl:

4. moremuffin

moremuffin Cosmic Narwhal

I believe there's a crafting station coming in the next major update to allow you to craft the blocks. Personally I've shifted my style recently to involve blocks I can craft myself.

Also the trick to making a good looking interior I believe is background variation and structural integrity. Which you can see in whitejpg's buildings there, everything looks like it can actually bear the weight of what's on top of it.

whitejpg likes this.
  5. whitejpg

I'd have to agree structural integrity and background variation really helps to make aesthetically pleasing interiors

6. whitejpg

Update: With the first official house built settlers will gradually be moved in

Here is some screenies of the first house and the two newest settlers (I've decided to stay small with housing as I'll have to be spatially aware due to the large scale I want this town to be)
    Screenshot (74).png

Screenshot (75).png

7. whitejpg

Whilst doing some minor adjustments to the colony today the two colonists were attacked and killed by the local some of the local fauna - I should start building walls and securing the area oops :viking:

8. Littleman88

Littleman88 Big Damn Hero

I wish we could also craft our character's racial furniture as well, but I guess that would defeat some purpose in exploration (but only some.)

Also, sandstone brick homes look so goooooood O_O Though I don't know if I can live with one-block thick walls ONLY because rain slips through. They have to be three blocks deep to prevent getting wet while against them, sadly. The engine can determine my sword can't hit what's directly on the other side, but rain? Tch.

9. Wisty

Wisty Subatomic Cosmonaut

Those are some sweet little builds! Well they are a little on the small side, but the amount of detail put into them is quite nice. The way the structures widen on the upper floors give it a lot of character.
    The backgrounds really are the key to making a good looking building.

This is inspiring! The kind of thing I need to see to get in the mood. Just got done with a build and starting on one with a significantly different theme and I am having trouble moving away from the background patterns I was using previously. I can see here that my patterns aren't necessarily required to make a good looking background.

whitejpg likes this.
  10. moremuffin

moremuffin Cosmic Narwhal

I find it helps your ability to vary your build if you start building around the way the terrain is structured from the beginning rather than demolishing it to make way for your master plan. Just generally if I start demolishing my way through everything I find my buildings start to end up as flat rectangles that look pretty fake.

11. whitejpg

UPDATE: Renamed this thread My Builds as I'll probably just use this to showcase my mediocre architecture :yoda:

(My game broke two days ago and I lost all my progress on my settlement and the character was deleted omg)

Here's a sneaky peek of what I'm working on right now - a large island home :party: Screenshot (91).png

12. whitejpg

Finished the Island Home - a self sustained homestead build upon a completely user made island :casper:

This build took a lot of planning as I needed to make sure it has some form of structural integrity
    2016-03-02 (1).png

How cute :casper:
    2016-03-02 (2).png

Automatic farm with Automatic Irrigation system and Gardenbot
    2016-03-02 (5).png

Suggestions, Questions or constrictive criticism will be happily received

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    The Squid, Breakout, Beatrice and 5 others like this.
  13. Pedro Falcão

Pedro Falcão Pangalactic Porcupine

I wish I had the knack for interior decoration like you do. I enjoy building majestic colossal things, but when it's time to fill it up I just fail very hard.

BreacK and whitejpg like this.
  14. whitejpg

Its just a lot of trial and error to see what looks and feels best really

15. whitejpg

So I'm currently working on building a facility that'll store my favourite flora, fauna and artefacts - essentially a space museum :casper:

It's in work in progress so I wont show the whole thing until its done of course

The entrance (Not much to look at right now but it'll get improved and tweaked over time)
    2016-03-11 (8).png

An Oogler on display in the taxidermy room
    2016-03-11 (3).png

Very brief look at the garden :boo:
    2016-03-11 (1).png

Plans:
    Interactive science and technology room
    Weapon displays
    Racial themed displays
    and possibly a library

16. whitejpg

I've reached some kind of creative block - I have no ideas whatsoever so I've cleared out a large apex base and I'm now repurposing it

17. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

You could always join The Kingdoms RP builds... ;)

I just did a lab repurpose build too!

The Squid and TheFloranChef like this.
  18. Brycen

Brycen Phantasmal Quasar

I can see you like the Japanese design for your builds :)

19. whitejpg

I really don't think I have the skill to be in The Kingdoms RP - some of the stuff people build for that are insane! :eek:

I really do like the Hylotl style and I attempt to incorporate it into some of my builds the best way I can really :laugh:

20. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

It's not about skill, it's having some fun building with a set direction. And we can learn from each other and have some fun comparing styles. It's for fun and learning :)