1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

my biggest concern about this game..

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by matthieu, Dec 9, 2013.

1. RedScarWolf

RedScarWolf Spaceman Spiff

The problem is that they are not self aware, they're all bound to their programing that's why they don't do anything else, they're just a simulation.

hansmorg and Heartstrings like this.
  2. Quenton

Quenton Phantasmal Quasar

The fact that it's a contradiction is the entire point. Ape like people who are smart. Robots who are stuck in a primitive society.

The robot people are that way because they were originally programmed that way by their creators. The apex are the way they are because of a failed experiment. The apex actually used to be different.

3. matthieu

matthieu Astral Cartographer

except maybe for the thousands of players who have picked up this race for their character ^ ^

Lenney likes this.
  4. Notho

Notho 2.7182818284590...

It's kind of weird, sure, but it beats regurgitating stuff that's already been done. The effort to be differant is there and I like that.

Ashgan and dionysus81 like this.
  5. Exxion

Exxion King Homestuck V

They are hardwired to be able to do that.
    Robotic arms in car factories could build themselves if programmed to.

6. RedScarWolf

RedScarWolf Spaceman Spiff

True, the players are the ones who became self aware, that's why they can do whatever they wish, but even they are still sort of stuck in the mindset of where they came from.

Serenity likes this.
  7. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

It's scifi not nonfi, so all arguments for or against these species aspects have no merit in reality other than opinion. Their are space penguins ok I am more bothered by that. In the end it's the devs choice. Any arguments over this subject are a fruitless labor of attrition that only serves to vent one sides frustration with aesthetic choices that are purely personal.

8. RobertRevenge

RobertRevenge Pangalactic Porcupine

Somebody didn't read their codex when they started the game.
    PC Glitches are the few that became self aware and fled from the home world after being outcast as the self-aware Glitches are viewed as dangerous and flawed.

Draconano likes this.
  9. Notho

Notho 2.7182818284590...

I just laughed at the space penguins. Then they killed me...

10. MegaJester

MegaJester Orbital Explorer

Yes, the first quest that a player that has chosen Glitch gets literally says that they had became self aware.

11. tnt333

tnt333 Star Wrangler

Perhaps your conclusion would be not to use a glitch character and to stay away from any glitch villages you see...

Serenity, DeadFingers and Chombo like this.
  12. DaPickle56

DaPickle56 Aquatic Astronaut

Methinks the OP lacks a sense of humor. Personally I've found every single race to be downright hilarious and well intended in their design (Especially the Floren and their comments on things in the world). This game wasn't meant to be serious in any respect and that's truly what the charm is for it. I could bet that if this game were super serious and highly realistic it wouldn't have the massive following it already has.

While its obvious this style isn't aligned with your own, it is slightly disappointing to see you were so perturbed by it that you had to claim its a bad design choice by Chucklefish to make a robot race centered around a medieval society. Still, opinions be what they may. I just hope the cooky style of the game doesn't destroy your immersion, because we all know that's the most important factor of video games these days (/sarcasm). But my own snide remarks aside, I do wish you can have fun with this great game regardless of your opinions of what a robot society should look like.

Race through the stars and slap everything with a massive hammer! Make the Space Penguin Overlord proud!

13. Lallykins

Lallykins Gross...

Alarmed. My biggest concern as a Glitch is, why no Cowboy hat or oversize mustache vanity items? This dissapoints my inner circuitry.

14. Kix

Kix Phantasmal Quasar

Not sure why this means medieval building styles as well, but I'm not bothered by the Glitch any more than I am by the fact that Avians are basically the Mayans (architecture-wise).

mewfan151 likes this.
  15. Ryowyn

Ryowyn Space Spelunker

All I hear is "I need a sexy Apex man to teach me how to love". Pretty sure "cowboy hat" and "oversized moustache" are innuendo.

On topic, after reading more lore, I understand the complaint even less. Is it odd? Yes, very much. But does it make sense in this universe? Sure does.

The whole quote is
    "For reasons unknown a fault caused the Glitch to become stuck early in the simulation, where they now remain. The experiment long abandoned, the Glitch are unable to shake their Medieval values and beliefs."
    To them, medieval architecture is the norm, because that's where they are stuck.

hansmorg and Kitty Khaos like this.
  16. DeadFingers

DeadFingers Void-Bound Voyager

There are also feudal japanese mudkips, tribal meat-eating plant-people and mayan-ish birds. And there's going to be old western star gas folk. And I have no problem with any of them.
    Also, Starbound is not the first game/book/movie/comic/anime/piece of media that does something like this. Ever heard of steampunk? Well, let's consider the Glitch to be medievalpunk.

Edit: Oh, and if you try to take my awesome space castle away from me, *quote Liam Neeson*.

Draconano, Dead Squirrel and Notho like this.
  17. CleverLikeMe

CleverLikeMe Orbital Explorer

It's just an aesthetic - it has nothing to do with anything at all except for the flavor of the race, and honestly, I'll take something that's slightly less over-used over the same old sci-fi trope any day.

Either way, the devs did a flip flop with most of the sci-fi / fantasy conventions with the various races. So, they apes are technically advanced totalitarians instead of tribal brutes, the robots are primitive instead of technically advanced, the plant people are violent hunters instead of hippie pacifists.... etc

18. Paoletti301

Paoletti301 Poptop Tamer

I would also like to point out that, while building robots is an advanced feat, the robots themselves are not always going to be advanced. As the lore says, they are programmed to simulate the evolution of society and technology, but got stuck in the medieval era of thought and tech. So while their programming and construction may be incredibly advanced, their minds are not.

19. MyLittleBurger

MyLittleBurger Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Based on the lore, the Glitches themselves were part of a society based simulation. They Glitches themselves got stuck in the medieval era of a society (do to a glitch in their programming), hence why they everything about them is middle age based (and how they got their name of Glitches). The player character version of Glitches, is one that has been able to break outside of their programming and follow the pathway they would likely have normally took if they hadn't glitched (their robots/machines, the non-self aware ones are stuck in what they were programmed to do stil).

20. Fast_Eddie_2

Fast_Eddie_2 Star Wrangler

Adding on to the discussion here, you can always build a super-future glitch base of your own! Go and find some Apex laboratories, steal everything and build a new 'Advanced' glitch town filled with computers and SCIENCE!. in a sandbox game like Starbound, you can adapt anything to make the game feel the way you like :)