My achievements! This isn't in real life, I mean for the game.

Discussion in 'Other' started by fishboyliam, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Eddy Steel

Eddy Steel Existential Complex

I don't like the achievements in MineCraft. See, the thing is, just because it exists does not mean it is good. Most of the achievements in MineCraft are pretty stupid with the exception of a few like 'When pigs fly'

2. Ghoschief

Ghoschief Phantasmal Quasar

Good lord, still? It doesn't matter whether you like it or not, sorry. The achievements in Minecraft were useful to those who were new to the game/gaming in general.

3. Chaosmancer

Chaosmancer Big Damn Hero

Hmm...I'm pretty sure that, by your logic, achievements you get for progressing through the story are just as stupid (obviously it is stupid because, as you are playing a game, it is natural instinct to continue the story (excluding games like Fallout and The Elder Scrolls series where you can screw around for 40 hours or more just by messing around)), as are the ones for beating bosses (that would probably include Demon's Souls, despite how tough the bosses can be, because it is obviously natural instinct to try to kill the boss unless you were too busy looking for the option to have a tea party with the Old Monk). So, by that logic, pretty much all achievements are dumb apart from the ones that say 'Kill Cthulu using nothing but your fists, with no items or equipment at all, and without dying once' are the only valid ones. But then there would be no point in achievements, apart from elitist people to brag about how bad other people are (well, that happens anyway, but it would happen moreso if all achievements were nigh on impossible to complete).

In all honesty I believe that there should be some easy achievements, after all, games are openly available to everyone, and not all people that play games are going to be avid gamers, so I'm pretty sure that they should still get some for just playing the game. Plus, progressive achievements ('Kill your first enemy' to 'Kill 100 enemies' to 'Kill 500 enemies' etc.) are better than immediately starting out with 'Go and kill 1,000' enemies (in my opinion). Plus, not all people know about the general rule of 'Repetitively talk to everyone until the dialogue loops', and not all people can be bothered to talk with everyone to see if they get any good information for doing so. Sure, having difficult achievements can be fun, but it kind of detracts from the fun if they are all nigh on impossible. Then again, all of this is just pointless fussing over an addition that can increase a number and change people's opinions on other people (generally ranging from 'awesome' to 'no life').

Either way, I forgot the point of this post whilst writing it, it probably makes less sense than what I originally meant to write, and is probably entirely wrong now (I don't know why I am still writing it, or why I am still planning to post it).

...Meh, as an on-topic thing;

You Heartless...Person
    Completely destroy a planet

It's a Trap!
    Kill ten enemies without directly attacking them

Cowskee likes this.
  4. FireDrake204

FireDrake204 Pangalactic Porcupine

The only one I can think of since the video of the water tech is:

Old Faithful
    Get launched over 100 feet into the sky by releasing pressurized water.

5. Crognias the Avenger

Crognias the Avenger Subatomic Cosmonaut

Another point is that games like minecraft don't exactly come with instruction booklets. Most of the achievements are to help people with gameplay. If you cannot appreciate them, I'm not going to say you are wrong, just that we agree to disagree.

6. Eddy Steel

No, they would have a point, to inspire a player to reach new and exciting goals. Sure people will brag about getting them but why wouldn't you want your player (looking at a game designer standpoint.) to go "Aw man, beat that dungeon?! I've gotta do that!"
    To be honest I think there should be hints hidden around the world like total miner does with recipes. (From what I've seen of it.)
    "Most of the achievements are to help people with gameplay."
    Has the world turned upside-down?! Next thing you know its going to the have a tutorial that tries to make the game harder for you!
    Anyway, FINALLY on topic: (Looks like someone divided by zero!)
    I'm on a boat!
    Ride across a lava sea on a boat.

Beat the boss
    Beat a boss on a maximum threat level planet

7. Maunokki

Maunokki Phantasmal Quasar

But, couldn't there be both? Tutorial achievements that act as milestones, AND hardcore achievements for people to work hard for. It certainly wouldn't hurt anyone.

Kint and Cowskee like this.
  8. Eddy Steel

I'm not protesting those kinds, but having an achievement for doing things like opening your inventory are pretty useless , but if you get someplace big in the story, most of the time you feel you achieved something, right? So I'm not saying those are bad.

9. Ghoschief

Can you tell me the point in NOT having them? There is no reason that this debate should still be happening.

10. Eddy Steel

They're useless. Better ones could easily take their place.

11. mrmcmo

mrmcmo Pangalactic Porcupine

Soda pop: Dig up pressured water 50 times.

12. Ghoschief

There is no point in "taking their place", because the devs can put as many achievements as they want into the game. There is no limit.

13. Eddy Steel

No, it's wasting time that they could be doing better things with.

14. Chaosmancer

Chaosmancer Big Damn Hero

I doubt that achievements take too much time too implement, and technically speaking, achievements are mostly pointless anyway, some show progress through the game, others are for bragging rights, but they really have no point at all other than giving people some self satisfaction if they manage to do one of the tougher ones. Besides, it probably doesn't take too much time to think of/implement achievements anyway, and I am pretty sure that achievements are mostly an afterthought anyway (excluding a few flash games). So, achievements are completely pointless, regardless of how you look at it, all they are useful for is sparking debates (proof of point; see about a fifth of this thread) and giving you bragging rights if you manage to complete the tougher ones (and then some people use the fact that they, or someone else, managed something to spark yet more debates). Oh yeah, and unless those particular achievements are under 'Secret' or 'Hidden' then they can tell you exactly how many chapters/levels/bosses there are, and they can also show you if there are multiple ending too. But, to be honest, I doubt it takes too much time to implement achievements, they will probably be put in just before the game comes out and after or during bugs being fixed, so I doubt it will hinder them that much.

I have just realised that I have reiterated a few points at least three times, but I can't really think about how to correct it now.

15. Sir Logan

Sir Logan Phantasmal Quasar

COOOOOFFFEEEEEE:
    Inject yourself with an energy syringe (presuming one of those syringe-ey things was for energy)

16. Crognias the Avenger

Crognias the Avenger Subatomic Cosmonaut

Now your thinking with portals
    -Teleport 50 times

17. Stargazer

Stargazer Existential Complex

"Humans best friend" wouldn't fit if you were playing any race other than a human.

18. Redsun

Redsun Void-Bound Voyager

up, up, and away: Acquire a jetpack.
    P.S. Yay another achievement post I really hope they are in the game!!!

19. Eddy Steel

They should if it's released on Steam.

20. Manilian

Manilian Big Damn Hero

Say "Is this Terraria?"

Achievement: No It's Not Terraria