My achievements! This isn't in real life, I mean for the game.

Discussion in 'Other' started by fishboyliam, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Svarr Chanston

Svarr Chanston Cosmic Narwhal

Achievement hunters will be looking for ways to crash their game, best leave that one out, besides it does not sound like an "achievement" to me.

2. zentomi

zentomi Void-Bound Voyager

start of the clone wars:die for the first time and get cloned
    IT'S ALIVE!!!!: create your first chimera or zombie (possible mob creations :3?)
    thinking with portals: create your first portal or interdenominational space terminal etc
    your the hero we all wish we could be: beat the hardest boss or final boss (i'm assuming there will be bosses eventually but i don't know :rofl:)
    still alive~: escape from your planet (guess you could say it is a free achievement :rofl: but i think it would be nice also reference to portal :rofl:)
    SPACEEEEEE: create your first interstellar vehicles shuttle etc.
    you don't know anything: have your first encounter with the aliens that destroyed your world (sorry if description is kind of vague >.<)
    life is like a box of chocolates: find your first variation of a species (haha get it cause the planet is the box and you don't know what kind of species are there :p)

lol these where some achievements that i came up with and yea i know a lot of references from portal :rofl: im sorry :x also er i think that achievements should be something funny and light hearted so to speak lol cause i feel like some times people make a really big deal out of achievements even though achievements are really only there for people playing the game to feel like they've accomplished something for themselves and tbh i feel like this game can work without achievements if it wished to, cause even though achievements are something nice to have the true fun in starbound should be the sense of exploration and creating something great from the shortcomings of your planet being destroyed

ps: sorry if you read through that entire paragraph and thought it was a waste of time haha i just kind of went on a rant i guess sorry...:d

3. Acrylic

Acrylic Void-Bound Voyager

Death from above: Fly your fully customised ship.

4. Ghoschief

Ghoschief Phantasmal Quasar

Civial Pursuit:
    Colonize a planet

5. mark baldwin

mark baldwin Void-Bound Voyager

i do like achievements but they should be like

1000 plants collected.. not first plant picked up
    they should be a challenging is all i mean but love all the achievements posted

6. Ghoschief

Not all achievements are meant to be difficult... it is better to have some act as a tutorial/guide to the game, as well as challenge ones.

7. Crognias the Avenger

Crognias the Avenger Subatomic Cosmonaut

never tell me the odds
    -kill 10 enemies through fall damage
    the book of armaments
    -kill an enemy with a grenade
    plotting course for Altair 6
    -pilot your ship to the same planet 10 times
    chevron 7 is locked
    -travel through a wormhole
    if any of these appeal to you, feel free to list them.

8. Eddy Steel

Eddy Steel Existential Complex

Uh, Yes they are, they are called ACHIEVEMENTS after all. Killing your first enemy is not an achievement, it's a natural instinct.

9. Ghoschief

That's completely subjective to opinion ;)
    Take the achievements in Minecraft for example (A bit overused, oh well). Most of the achievements in Minecraft are things like "Getting Wood" and for crafting things and such. These were implemented because Minecraft does not have a lot of instruction or explanation behind it, so people could just open up the achievements thingy to get their bearings and learn how to play. There were also achievements that were challenges that you had to work for (Minecraft may not be the best example for these, but go with it) but those came after you finished the "tutorial" achievements and became a bit more familiar with the game.

Tl;dr "Achievement" does not mean "Challenge", it's a milestone on the journey that is Starbound.

10. Phyrak

Phyrak Twenty-three is number one

TIIIIIIIIMMMMBBBBEEEEERRRRR:
    Harvest resources through unconventional means.ie. use a rocket launcher to take down a tree.

NinjaNick likes this.
  11. Eddy Steel

yes it does
    The achievements are more for direction in minecraft really, not achievements more, 'Hey! Do this!'. In Terraria for example they had people to talk to for hints for direction instead.
    Here is the dictionary definition of achieve: accomplish, carry out; acquire (success, glory, one's objectives)
    One's goal in Starbound is not to kill one, single enemy, it's to be the master of the stars.
    In dungeons of dremor, most of the achievements are getting to the maximum level in a certain skill, which I think is something someone would want to do, as well as beating the game at maximum difficulty which is definitely something people would want to achieve.
    Edit: To your previous point, Tiy said in IRC that the game will have a tutorial.

12. Ghoschief

DEFINITION of "achievement" =/= "challenge"
    What I'm trying to say is that there SHOULD be SOME guiding achievements. I'm not trying to say that every achievement should be something like "kill your first enemy" at all. And what's the big deal anyways? Even if there are achievements like "kill your first enemy", it does not mean that there can't also be achievements that are more like challenges. Most games do this sort of progression by STARTING a play off with "Kill your first enemy", but that soon evolves into "Kill 500 enemies" and "Kill 1000 enemies".You don't have to worry about the game consisting only of guiding achievements :rofl:. I was never trying to argue that there shouldn't be challenges/goals, only that there should be starting points to reach them.

13. Eddy Steel

They are not guiding achievements, if you play a game with a multitude of enemies then killing them is an instinct, you don't need to be guided into it. Also, I don't want guiding achievements anywhere, all you need is some dialogue with crew members for hints like terraria, not achievements

14. creepwolf

creepwolf Giant Laser Beams

do a flip:
    die from fall damage

OMG "oops my gun" :
    first enemie kill with gun

i fart in your general direction:
    kill someone with chemical weapon

15. Ghoschief

I hope you realize I'm not just trying to get achievements about killing things into the game. I also mean achievements for basic/advanced crafting lines that people may not find out about without guiding achievements. This makes a game more friendly to casual/new gamers. i was only using the killing achievement line as an example :rofl:. You must remember not everyone has a "killer instinct".

16. Eddy Steel

I also mean achievements for basic/advanced crafting lines that people may not find out about without guiding achievements: NPCs can give hints for that. For example, 'Hey [Player], I heard that combining a megatron lazer with an energy sword makes something really powerful!' or something along those lines, this can also be used to indicate secrets and the like.
    You must remember not everyone has a "killer instinct": It's not a killer instinct, it's survival. If you see someone charging at you, your natural instinct is to defend yourself, right?

17. Sokina

Sokina Heart of Gold

I dunno about you, but if someone was charging at me, my natural instinct would be to move out of the way, not stand still and defend myself. (Inb4 getting of the way is considered defense.) It's evasion. Point is, different words can be used for different things, and everybody has their own idea of what an achievement should be.

However, that's not really the point of this thread. It's a "For fun" thread where people make up achievements, silly or not, to be put into the game. Games have had questionable achievements since the dawn of time.

The Simpsons had an achievement for pushing start. Binding of Isaac has an achievement for dying 100 times. (Yeah, good job. Dying 100 times. You achieved something.) Achievements can mean many things, but the one thing (Most) have in common is the fact that they mark some sort of milestone and game progress. As far as "Killer Instinct" goes in games, and guiding...well, I won't get too far into that, because of the whole "Fight or Flight" complex. I don't see a monster and instantly attack it. I didn't kill anything in minecraft, my first time playing, for like 5 days. That being said, achievements can mean many things. I like achievements that measure how many things you've killed. Or how many X-s you've Y-ed. And I don't mind achievements where you do something super secret. Like using a 9 Iron in Bioshock, or doing some poetic justice with a camera.

The point is that this thread isn't really for discussing what deserves to be an achievement and what doesn't deserve to be one. The bottom line is that people have their own views what an achievement should be, and different games have different ways of dealing with them. I see nothing wrong with having a "Killed your first enemy" achievement. It's an achievement everyone's going to have, so what is it harming? Who's going to care, really? Achievements are for fun, 90% of the time. There's nothing wrong with achievements that guide people. Most "easy" achievements like that have a tiny, insginificant reward anyway. Not saying I agree with such an easy title, but I'm not gonna say it's harmful.

TL;DR: Really, this isn't the place to get into a super-serious debate about it. If you believe achievements should be hard and secret, then post achievements that should be hard and secret. Not say that everyone else's achievements are lazy and/or wrong. This isn't a black and white issue, everyone has different views about it.

On Topic: My achievements

Bloodsport: Watch two hostile NPCs fight each other to the death without interacting/attacking/getting involved with them.
    Thiiiis close: Jetpack or Grapple to avoid a fall that would have otherwised kill you a half-second later.
    There is no weak spot: On a boss that has a weakspot, kill him another way without hitting it.
    This. Is. STARBA!: Inflict knockback on a creature who then dies of fall damage

Pikkon53 and Cowskee like this.
  18. Crognias the Avenger

Crognias the Avenger Subatomic Cosmonaut

also Minecraft had an achievement for simply opening your inventory

19. Ghoschief

Thank you for your contribution :rofl:

20. NinjaNick

NinjaNick Subatomic Cosmonaut

HAWT!
    - "Fall" into the molten core of a planet.
    Playing God
    - Chose a planet to be your customizable home world.
    SMITE THEE!
    - Call in an orbital strike.