Multiple Active Techs (Updated)

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by onifey, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Spiral Knight

Spiral Knight Twenty-three is number one

Oh yeah, definitely this. As others have said, I was surprised to find it wasn't already as the opening post stated.

One of the main reasons I made an account was to make this very topic myself :rofl:

Since it's beta I think it's safe to say something regarding this will change and for now it's just kept simple.

2. onifey

onifey Master Chief

I do hope this system gets Improved. From what I've seen I think the best option would be to have Techs on a toggle, allowing for non-conflicting powers such as Energy Dash and Pulse Jump to be used together, while others that use the same input couldn't be on at the same time. Some one suggested maybe having an energy drain increase or something for having multiple techs, I feel like that would be unnecessary given using the two powers constantly plus firing off your weapons would require careful energy pool management as is. It just feels like the game would be more fun with better access to our Tech powers than having to go into a menu and switch them out constantly.

If you agree or have any ideas on how the current system could be improved please post them here. =3

-Something- needs to change, because at current its faster and easier to just equip a stack of dirt and "Earth Binder" your way up to an out of reach ledge than stop and switch to Pulse Jump then back to Energy Dash.

3. -R7-

-R7- Aquatic Astronaut

Why do we even have four slots if we can't use them all at once?

Feels really off, the powers burn energy anyway, so if I want to dash, double jump, morph ball around then let me.

4. Azure1354

Azure1354 Intergalactic Tourist

If not having multiple techs active at once, I would like to at least have a way to quickly and conveniently switch between them without having to open my inventory.

5. yanderess

yanderess Void-Bound Voyager

I agree.

6. onifey

onifey Master Chief

I does sort of defeat the purpose of having a double jump power if its easier to just keep dirt on your bar and hold it under yourself and jump making a pillar than it is to stop and switch out to Pulse Jump. I don't even switch from Energy Dash any more, with as much damage as monsters do and as fast as they are, if I get caught without Energy Dash to keep my distance I'm as good as dead.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  7. onifey

onifey Master Chief

Primary Post updated. (Bump)

8. ankou0

ankou0 Void-Bound Voyager

I would suggest keeping the current "one tech at a time" system, and instead allow either a level up system, or an upgrade system not unlike what we have for the ship to allow more than one tech to be used, to the eventual 4 total. This would encourage progression, and not make finding map coords with techs the end all be all.

PsycheSwidden likes this.
  9. Denninja

Denninja Phantasmal Quasar

Suggestion: 1 active tech per specific input requirements.
    That means mech/teleport/morph (F) + bubble/butterfly/gravbubble/gravnull (midair hold Jump) + rocketjump (ground Jump) + doublejump (midair Jump) + dash (A/S tap).
    You'd be able to activate all your equipped techs at least once, with one configuration and in one jump chain, without conflicting effects.
    This already makes room for 5 different inputs but we have 4 slots, so there's still options even this early.
    Ground would activate before Midair, Tap would activate before Hold, F would be usable anytime.

Kotsu0 and onifey like this.
  10. onifey

onifey Master Chief

Very nice suggestions...

I kind of like the idea of leveling up our Tech or Tech Decks to eventually allow for More and more use,
    and I also agree with Denninja, the 1 active tech per Input sounds like a simple and strong method of getting the most out of our Techs!

11. Dahgnear

Dahgnear Master Chief

Found Energy Dash and Pulse Jump today and was really surprised that there was no way to use them together. They should either make it possible to have several tech powers active at the same time or create a simpler way to change between tech powers.

12. Derpislav

Derpislav Big Damn Hero

Just let us change our currently equipped tech without opening the inventory screen and I will be happy. Having all of them active at the same time seems like more of an annoyance then an useful function. What about toggling between them with keys like F-G, V-B or <->?

13. Russy

Russy Pangalactic Porcupine

The only thing I could think of adding would be restricting how many techs you could use that require you to use "F" to activate them. As in only having one of them at a time, or else how would you use morphball an mech if they were able to be used at the same time, both using F?

14. Braethias

Braethias Big Damn Hero

Yes to multiple powers, please.

15. mar3usmc

mar3usmc Poptop Tamer

Just found this out as well today that you can't have multiple active techs. If techs have different means of activation I see NO reason why I should have to switch through them by means of the inventory no less. Cmon on guys, FUN FACTOR. Inventory never equals much fun, try to involve it as little as possible in the game.

16. PsycheSwidden

PsycheSwidden Space Hobo

This sounds really good. Totally agree to multiple tech's at a time, with many many more tech's coming (I hope), you could play around with the combinations and really get a kick out of the system for different purposes.

Also, has anyone noticed that when you do swaps really fast you can just fly in the sky with the energy dash & pulse jump combination?
    (atleast you could before this patch, didn't find the tech's yet to test it out again..)

17. onifey

onifey Master Chief

I found the butterfly tech and It sort of combines the jumps of Pulse jump and Energy Dash, but it feels more like a potential replacement for the two, clearing up space for other options, than an answer to the current issue tbh.

18. Nef_123

Nef_123 Orbital Explorer

I totally support the idea of multiple active techs or a hotbar for quick switching between techs.

19. denixprince

denixprince Space Hobo

post up

Please make a multiple techs activator MOD !