1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Multiplayer? will it be easy or difficult

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Sir ceil, Apr 15, 2012.

?

do you agree?

1. yes

85.7%
  2. no

50.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir ceil

Sir ceil Existential Complex

my Question is what will the multiplayer be like because i want it to be easy to be set up with out all of the troubles of learning how to port forward and then config your server so it won't crash. or at least have a good tutorial on how to port forward. that's my main question i have some requests too. one is could the server software be in the main code for the game? My last one is could you have server commands like TP [player] to [location\player] to teleport players or a command for server mod help. that's pretty much it. i hope you consider some of my requests and that its not too much to ask for :)

2. MKSTAR26

MKSTAR26 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'd just expect it to be like the Vanilla Terraria server, except for Starbound. Because you can't host a Starbound server using the Terraria server API. Right? RIGHT?

Also, while I do hope for commands and stuff like you get in tShock (except not as much), I hope there's a cooldown time on the OP commands like /give.

3. Con7Rad7

Con7Rad7 Giant Laser Beams

I agree with most of this, a /tp would be convient, but please no /give unless it's blocks, there should be no item spawn.

4. Manifold

Manifold Tentacle Wrangler

I'd have to imagine they'll probably have admin controls. But I wouldn't be surprised if the '/tp' functionality was handled through the shuttle. Though I'm not entirely familiar how the shuttle is going to be implemented.

5. Sir ceil

i agree about the give command it makes the game no fun and too easy

6. It really depends on the admins and mods.

7. Sir ceil

ya that is a factor

8. Bine

Bine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There is no such thing as an easy server setup unless your purchasing it from a server company. The whole reason for port forwarding is -because- your routers protect your computers from being peeked into / copied. Those firewalls that are built into it tend to block ports sometimes which you have to open up.

Think of them like doors to a house. For people to get in the front door needs unlocked. But what about the catering service that comes over for the party to set it up? They may need to use the back door instead.

I just hope its minimalized as much as possible. No fidgeting with the server software beyond naming your world or setting up mods. A GUI might be nice though.

Edit: Oh and on the part about actual commands? That should be handled by a switch. Creative mode and Survival mode. Servers should be labeled accordingly and items -should not- transfer between worlds. Thats just my two cents.

9. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

Starbound I think will be completly open gamed. Single player and multiplayer should be like this: Both open universe. Singleplayer is by yourself and you NPCS/Slaves (;P), multiplayer is you, npcs, and evryone on earth!
    how easy and hard it is depends on how you play...

10. KiWiKaKi

KiWiKaKi Orbital Explorer

Starbound MMORPG plz , ty

11. KuraiRyuu

KuraiRyuu Space Kumquat

No, ty. It doesn't sound like it will be like that anyway.

XAXIAN likes this.
  12. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

Well singleplayer and multiplayer should be two differing expiriences.
    Multiplayer being an mmo, hell yea. Starbound is exactly the kind of game to put that in. KiWiKaKi, goo job!:cool:

13. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

It'll probably be like that. But the multiplayer has been confirmed to be harder in terms of monsters and stuff, because than it forces you to work as a team. :D

MurkyDragon likes this.
  14. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

Exactly! Nothings wrong with that! Clans will work as clans, Cops as corps.
    No problem, other than inter-galactic warfare umong clans and corps

15. xXSunSlayerXx

xXSunSlayerXx Cosmic Narwhal

well, thats not really possible since port forwarding doesnt depend on the game, but on the router you have.

other than that, i agree on those points pretty much.

16. Sir ceil

what i really want is it where you can configure the server easily. if they did that i would prasie them

17. Bine

Bine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh in that case. Very much so. An easy to edit server configuation, banlist, etc is a great compliment! Minecrafts was actualy minorly annoying but no where near as bad as it could have been. I feel bad for thsoe who had to sit down and figure out terrarias xD

Though it could always still be worse. Having to work with Mysql to make a server work is a -nightmate- and feels like a guessing game at BEST still to me. Never again.... never again....

18. Sir ceil

ya i had to make a terraria server it took a couple of days but i finally got it. to work

19. Ephexis

Ephexis Cosmic Narwhal

none of my friends that live near me will be playing starbound(unfortunately :/ ) so itd be nice if i could just be able to connect with a few randoms here and there to play with a bit if possible, im not exactly knowledgeable when it comes to creating servers for any game(took me forever to make one for minecraft -__-)

so as long as its relatively do-able in less than 15 mins and i manage to get a person who wants to do some co-op then that'l be fine by me
    im sure the dev's will come up with something easy(ish)
    hopefully:p

20. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

Multiplayer should also be scaling. If there are more players, then the enemies should be harder and the loot proportionally better on average.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.